PDA

View Full Version : Gibson MM vs other top end mando's..

holden
May-05-2013, 5:15pm
I've noticed the Gibson Master Model and DMM are nesrly up there with Nuggets, Gilchrists, etc price-wise..do most people feel they're in the same league..? Wondered..

chip
May-05-2013, 5:34pm
Yep:mandosmiley:

JeffD
May-05-2013, 5:36pm
From my limited experience yes.

holden
May-05-2013, 8:27pm
Is Gibson still making a MM or DMM..I've never seen one later than '07 or so?..

f5loar
May-05-2013, 8:27pm
Depends on price. If you are talking $25K list price for the DMM then maybe no. I've seen prices for the DMM from $11K to $22K. The MM's from $9K to 18K. These would be for used models. So it would be hard to compare to the others at a fixed price when the Gibson prices are that far apart. But generally speaking they are fine F5 mandolins. I'll even go out on a limb here and say the MM and DMM made since 1998 are the best F5s Gibson has made since 1932.

Jeffff
May-05-2013, 8:29pm
That's one heck of a limb.

Barry Platnick
May-06-2013, 4:19pm
I have an 03 MM and a Nugget A. when ever I go from one to the other I'm sure that the one I'm playing is the better one.

I have played some MM's that are better than others ( although none better than mine). But I gotta say I've rarely play a mando that is clearly better than my MM.

holden
Aug-22-2013, 5:45pm
Started this a while back and wondered if anybody else would like to chime in..
I have a Derrington master model that I'm perfectly happy with, i like that particular sound just wondered if there's anything else out there that I would love..

almeriastrings
Aug-22-2013, 9:40pm
Probably plenty.

There are numerous choices these days and you are at a level where things are not "better", just "different".

Hendrik Ahrend
Aug-23-2013, 2:03am
Started this a while back and wondered if anybody else would like to chime in..
I have a Derrington master model that I'm perfectly happy with, i like that particular sound just wondered if there's anything else out there that I would love..
I am lucky enough to own all (or even more than) I need, a 2000 Derrington MM, a 2005 Roberts DMM and a 2009 Harvey varnished Fern, all of them outstanding. They're all different, the DMM and the Fern brighter sounding than the MM. So while you're wondering, there should be plenty of options among recent Gibsons. But then again, there are some really old F5s you might like...

red7flag
Aug-23-2013, 6:17am
My RSDMM, I would put in the same place with any Dude, Mont, Gil and all but the best Loars I have played. Dave Harvey did the deal on this on. It has that traditional Monroe sound, but can play any type of music with distinction. I am not a distressed fan, but I have heard the sound quality discussions. If that is what makes it sound so great, bring it on, but still yuck on the fake look.

goose 2
Aug-24-2013, 2:23am
I think so. To me they are so versatile and they sound different than any other brand out there. They really do sound like Loars. I have owned and played all the famous brands and really think the MMs and DMMs have a unique voice. Its not for everyone though. I will say that many times after someone has played my DMM for a while they have told me that at first they were not overwhelmed with it but after playing it a while and learning how to play it and where to hit the notes just right they become infatuated with its tone. Kinda like your first taste of a great cabernet or a good single malt. . . After you acquire the taste nothing else will do. As to the question is there anything else out there that I would love? I know of several others that I love most notably Kimbles and Red Diamonds. I'm sure the reason that I am drawn to them so much is because the ones that I have played more closely resemble my Gibson tone wise than some of the other brands. However, everyone's tastes are different. My buddy has a killer prewar D-18 that I think is fabulous. He also has a 49 D-28 which he prefers. I think he must be deaf. Both are great guitars by anyone's standard. I prefer one type of sound and he the other.

Markelberry
Aug-31-2013, 1:46am
I have a 2004 Gibson A9 and I have had more compliments on the tone volume of this mandolin than any Ive ever owned! I don't know if I contributed to that or its just a dandy?Im inclined to think it was a good year and the right day and wood that went into this one it is unusual?

Markelberry
Aug-31-2013, 1:48am
I understand?that the carving graduating is the same as th MM at the time ,wasn't Charlie the guy?