PDA

View Full Version : New luthier, new to the mandolin family.

woshafer3
May-03-2013, 5:07pm
Hello everyone!

I've been looking around mandolincafe for a while now and have been on the luthier fourms for a few months now. About a year and a half ago I discovered the musicmakers website and fell in love with the idea of making the bouzouki they have. At the start of this year I was able to get enough money up to finally get the kit. It is about half way finished now and I'm excited to start playing! Of course if you ask other luthiers they will tell you how addictive the hobby is... lol I'm already building a mold and jigs to make a 10 string / 5 course mandocello from scratch. It'll be a big change for me, I've mostly played brass and double bass / electric bass.

Anyway, ya'll seem like a great bunch of people and I'm looking forward to learning from you over the next few years. I'll make sure to post pictures once I'm finished with the builds! ;) - Will

Denny Gies
May-03-2013, 5:12pm
Welcome, you will have fun on this site plus you will gain a ton of information and advice.

multidon
May-03-2013, 5:34pm
I wish they made that kit in a short scale version. They say it can be strung as an octave mandolin but I think 25 1/2 inch scale is too long for that. 22 would be more like it. As it is it is only useful as a bouzouki.

JEStanek
May-03-2013, 5:49pm
Welcome to the Cafe and post photos of your builds, please!

Jamie