PDA

View Full Version : Odd Loar LM520

Fingers
May-03-2013, 10:58am
(Thread Title is WRONG- meant to type LM500)
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. First post after lurking for a while.
I'm looking at this Loar that I believe to be an LM500 but I can't quite figure out if it's the earlier pressed top version or the more recent carved top version. The headstock has the earlier flowerpot design but the fretboard is scooped like the current models. I've asked the seller for the serial number and he claims he can't locate it- only the model and maker's name. Any idea as to what the story is here? shouldn't the serial number be viewable from the F-hole? 101615

lenf12
May-03-2013, 12:02pm
I'd say it the older, pressed top due to there being no "ridge" on the scroll, at least none that I can see in your picture. The FB extension could have been scooped by a previous owner.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Fingers
May-03-2013, 4:31pm
Thanks- hadn't considered the scroll.

Perry Babasin
May-03-2013, 6:26pm
I actually owned and played one of the first LM-500-VS mandolins for 2 years and the scroll was carved front and back, kind of like the Paris Swing (same era, same people). It was represented to me as carved and I later found in threads on the cafe that the arch was pressed and scroll was carved (probably machine). The biggest difference was the headstock inlay, kind of a Fern-Urn rather than flowerpot and it had a pickguard... This one looks to me like one of these that has been worked over a bit, pickguard removed - extension scooped. The one I owned actually sounded really nice, just quiet, no projection. Hey lookie there I found some pictures...

It was pretty, and loud plugged in!! Ha,ha,ha. I like the color and look of the wood better than the new ones frankly

almeriastrings
May-03-2013, 10:54pm

Strange. Looks very much like a 3-piece top on that one.

Perry Babasin
May-04-2013, 11:56am
Here is a full body shot! I'm kind of missing it, although the top was pretty thin and there was no recurve. I added the tailpiece, Grover tuners and the Fishman bridge. I always thought the wood and the color of the finish looked beautiful. What was the price for the O.P.? It might be worth looking at for a beginner instrument it had sweet tone and was very playable. Just not real loud. The newer ones are fully carved, If you're interested in The Loar I would look at the 600 or 700 series and I think earlier ones had thinner finishes. I wouldn't mind finding one of those Bruce Weber built prototypes!

Fingers
May-04-2013, 1:14pm
It's on ebay at the moment, and the price seems fairly reasonable. Seller has been good about answering all my questions- at least to his or her ability. The pressed top has me moving on to looking at the MD-315, KM-600 and a couple of other Loars like you suggested. I agree with you- it's a handsome looking piece. I'm looking for something to transition with me out of my intermediate skills.