PDA

View Full Version : wanted info on Japan km-180s

pdan
Feb-25-2004, 1:35am
I was wondering if anybody has any info concerning the quality and construction of early Japanese made km-180s by Saga. I have had trouble finding out specs on woods used and so forth. I have just purchased one via ebay and wonder how they compare with other current models. Thanks Pastor Dan

Joe F
Feb-25-2004, 8:27am
Pastor Dan,
I don't know much about the 180, but I have a Japanese KM-200S of similar vintage. #Mine is very well constructed, and has been a solid and reliable workhorse since I purchased it new in 1982. #It has a solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides.

The general consensus seems to be that the Japanese Kentuckys are better built than the Korean models, and the Koreans are better than the Chinese.

GTison
Feb-25-2004, 10:09am
I believe the catalog from '1983 says the top, sides and bottom are of laminated wood. My uncle bought a black one in about '80 and it is a pretty good mandolin. Our mando player at the time had a A40 gibson and he just started playing that KY. all the time and It sounded lots better than the A40 to us anyway.

neal
Feb-25-2004, 8:24pm
Dan, welcome, you've come to the right place. Stay tuned.....

pdan
Feb-25-2004, 10:00pm
Thanks, I appreciate the help and really enjoy this website!

fatt-dad
Feb-25-2004, 10:45pm
I have a KM-180s and it has the solid top (hence the "s"). I think the sides and back are laminated, though.

f-d