PDA

View Full Version : New JBovier F5 Studio

DataNick
Apr-30-2013, 3:36am
I just received my new JBovier F5 Studio mandolin from Kyle at The Mando Shop in Florida. Overall I'm very pleasantly surprised and delighted in the mandolin's construction, looks and of course tone. Just a quick note in between playing(since 7:30 PM last nite)...the JBovier Studio Mandolin is very nice at this price point ($650)...frankly a little bit better than I expected.
Kyle's set-up is solid, I like the tone(sweet highs with good sustain, nice, full bark on chopping chords, good low end) and volume (J75s help!), and the construction, color, finish, etc. is very nice.

I was concerned about the neck having a "baseball bat" type rounded profile, but this JBovier has a slight V-profile to it which is what I prefer, and the fretboard is flat. Its V-profile is not as pronounced as an Eastman or even close to a Gibson, but it's not rounded either. I'm very comfortable with it.

It's perfect for what I wanted it for: a mando that I can take out from day to day, take to festivals/jams, not worry too much about comestic damage, yet have a mando with very good tone, responsiveness, etc. It's right on the money! I'd rate it as slightly better than the Eastman MD315s that I have played; the JBovier has a bit more "woody" quality to its tone vs. the Eastman. I can't wait to hear how it's going to sound a few months down the road once it's opened up! I talked to Jeff Cowherd via email and he told me that the current line had been re-designed by himself for 2013. Jeff also said that the Studio & Tradition models have the same top construction. Only the cosmetics and hardware make the 2 models different.

I'm very happy with it, and Kyle's service was very good and accomodating!
Below are pics; 1 from my camera (ick!) and some pics of this mando that Kyle had sent to me.
Can't wait to break it in at the Ramona Bluegrass Festival this weekend here in SoCal!

David Lewis
Apr-30-2013, 4:39am
Nice mando: I hope to buy another JBovier in the future... Let us know how it sounds when it's opened up.

DataNick
Apr-30-2013, 8:13am
Nice mando: I hope to buy another JBovier in the future... Let us know how it sounds when it's opened up.
You bet David!

DataNick
May-03-2013, 8:27am
Hello All!

I'm not in the habit of just responding my own posts, but thought whoever's interested should know: these new JBoviers are the bomb! My new JBovier F5 Studio was quite the hit at the bluegrass jam last nite. People marvelled at the tone, construction qualities, neck feel, etc. I could go on and on. One of the mando guys who had a JBovier from 2009, and who had cautioned me against this purchase, said this mando is waaay different from the one he had. He remarked that he thought this JBovier's tone had more of that "woody" sound than my Eastman MD515, which is legenddary in these parts for it's "woody" like qualities, punch and volume. Ya know what? I'm starting to think the same thing myself. One of the guys, a now young adult who was a kid phenom mando player, told me he'd like to get one as an "affordable" upgrade from his Kentucky (km600?). Anyway, the guy who had advised me not to buy a JBovier, came back my way to play mine again, and was just enamored with it. All agreed this JBovier F5 studio was a "steal" for $650, and certainly a whole lot of mando for the money. Kudos to Jeff Cowherd for getting such quality to us at an affordable price, and to Kyle at the Mando Shop for his service. Check out the new JBoviers: ya don't know what you're missin! I certainly didn't!

Michael Bridges
May-04-2013, 7:19am
DataNick,
Any chance you could get a couple of sound clips of your new toy? That's an extremely interesting mando to me. I really like the looks, and from what you and others are saying it's got nice "playability". Would love to hear how she sounds. Congrats on a great buy!

DataNick
May-04-2013, 9:52am
DataNick,
Any chance you could get a couple of sound clips of your new toy? That's an extremely interesting mando to me. I really like the looks, and from what you and others are saying it's got nice "playability". Would love to hear how she sounds. Congrats on a great buy!

Thanks Mike!

Let me work on the sound clips....our guitar player in my band is out of town this weekend; he has 2 digital handheld recorders that he brings to our rehearsals. I think by next weekend sound clips could be a reality...alternatively let me check with the soundman at church tomorrow...as he digitally records the sermons straight to computer from the sound system. Let me see what I can put together...playability is nice. Last nite I did a little compare against my Flatiron Performer A and the "woody" tone is very close to the Flatiron...but the JBovier is dicernibly "louder" like my Eastman MD515 is louder than my Flatiiron; but the JBovier's tone is much closer to the Flatiron.

roberto216
May-04-2013, 7:05pm
Are you sure it's a 2013? The F5 studio is not listed as a 2013 model on the Jbovier website. The 2013s have a different shape at the bottom of the fretboard.

mandobassman
May-04-2013, 7:39pm
And, none of the 2013 models have a satin finish. I just bought a A5 model from a friend of mine who is a J Bovier dealer and his F5 Tradition is satin, however, none of the new models are.

BTW, my A5 is fantastic.

Toycona
May-04-2013, 7:51pm
Great looking finish. I bet it sounds fantastic.

DataNick
May-05-2013, 9:44am
Are you sure it's a 2013? The F5 studio is not listed as a 2013 model on the Jbovier website. The 2013s have a different shape at the bottom of the fretboard.

As far as I can tell it's a 2013...Jeff Cowherd told me that the Studio is the same mando as the F5 Tradition, just different metalwork(chrome vs. nickel) and of course the finishing/varnish. I wondered about it not being listed as well...perhaps I'll shoot Jeff an email and ask him...

DataNick
May-05-2013, 9:46am
And, none of the 2013 models have a satin finish. I just bought a A5 model from a friend of mine who is a J Bovier dealer and his F5 Tradition is satin, however, none of the new models are.

BTW, my A5 is fantastic.

Great to hear you like your A5!

Yeah, I'll shoot Jeff an email and get the skinny on exactly what model year it is...2012 vs 2013; it sounds great!

Cheers!

DataNick
May-05-2013, 9:52am
Great looking finish. I bet it sounds fantastic.
Thank You Toycona!

After being at Ramona's Bluegrass Festival all day yesterday, and doing quite a bit of jamming, I've reached the following conclusions:

1. This mando's looks attracts everybody!
2. EVERY single comment was posiitive about the tone/sound
3. Even the seasoned Mando players were very impressed with this mando; one guy said he was going to buy one immediately.

I feel blessed to have scored this on a total "impulse" comfort purchase (just had a birthday and breakup with girlfriend)

I'm totally stoked! and this mando is un-freakin-believable for $650!

DataNick
May-06-2013, 8:47am

OK,
Here's the skinny from the source, Jeff Cowherd:

Hi Nick,
Great to hear!!!!

Your "F5-Studio" is part of the final batch of JBovier mandolins built at
my previous factory, in 2012. So you own one of the last "F5-Studio"
models in existence.

For 2013 I am having a smaller shop build my JBovier mandolins. The line
was decreased to only 4 models, so that the shop could concentrate on
detail, voicing, and quality rather than a lot of different colors and
cosmetic options.

Enjoy... and spread the word!!!!

Jeff Cowherd....

So I guess mine's a 2012 model..changing my signature to reflect that...

mandobassman
May-09-2013, 9:12pm
So you own one of the last "F5-Studio"
models in existence.

Yours is one of the last F5 Studio models made and my A5 is the first. Mine is the first A5 the new factory made and is the one used for the picture on the website (mine is the sunburst model).

http://jbovier.net/2013-2/%E2%80%9Ca5%E2%80%9D/

DataNick
May-10-2013, 6:50pm
Yours is one of the last F5 Studio models made and my A5 is the first. Mine is the first A5 the new factory made and is the one used for the picture on the website (mine is the sunburst model).

http://jbovier.net/2013-2/%E2%80%9Ca5%E2%80%9D/

How cool is that?

I've already been thinkin' bout maybe pickin' up that exact model as it's the F5 Special basically in an A model..quite a steal for under 1k I think!

So what's the tone, etc. like?

mandobassman
May-10-2013, 7:21pm
...So what's the tone, etc. like?

It has a very mature high end, very full. Not the shrill, bright treble sound you often hear from lower cost mandolins. Has a very nice midrange tone. Terrific sound for Bluegrass. The bass response isn't as deep as some I've heard, but I really like it a lot. The overall tone is very balanced and warm. I use flatwound strings, so that adds to the warmth. It is also very loud. That was one of the comments one my bandmates said upon first hearing it. I just had a rehearsal the other night and one of the guys said "Wow, its' really opened up nicely". It's only 5 months old. I can't wait 'till I've had it after a few years of playing. I'm doing a gig tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait to play it on stage again. It is also very easy to play. Set up is nice and the frets are very smooth.

dfalkiewicz
May-11-2013, 12:28pm
How do you like this A5? What did it end up costing you?, you can send me a private message if you like........thx

DataNick
May-11-2013, 11:00pm
How do you like this A5? What did it end up costing you?, you can send me a private message if you like........thx

Dave,

Responded to your PM...I have the F5 Studio, no longer being made; but that A5 is the F5 Special ($1799) in an A model and lists for $899...I'm definitely considering adding it to my herd...

Cheers!

Michael Bridges
May-12-2013, 6:24am
Breaks my heart that the F5 Studio is no longer in production. I really like the looks, and was excited to get my hands on one to test drive. Ah well, the search continues!

Eric C.
May-12-2013, 7:34am
How would this compare to a Kentucky KM900? I'm close to getting the KM900 but now am having thoughs of this JBovier A5... Whatever I get in this price range has to have enough punch to be heard in a gaggle of acoustic guitars for jams, and sound good running through a SM57 for gigs.

DataNick
May-14-2013, 2:21am
How would this compare to a Kentucky KM900? I'm close to getting the KM900 but now am having thoughs of this JBovier A5... Whatever I get in this price range has to have enough punch to be heard in a gaggle of acoustic guitars for jams, and sound good running through a SM57 for gigs.

Eric,

I have never played/heard the Kentucky km900, so don't know how it would compare that way...however the A5 has the right tone woods (European Spruce top, highly flamed maple back/sides) and the construction methodology is right (dovetail neck joint, etc.) I just know that my F5 Studio sounds great and it is not the higher end of their product line. I think it's safe to conclude that you will get a "Professional grade" mandolin for an affordable price.

I would contact Jeff Cowherd directly and talk to him...he can give you more details about the construction, etc.

DataNick
May-14-2013, 2:23am
Breaks my heart that the F5 Studio is no longer in production. I really like the looks, and was excited to get my hands on one to test drive. Ah well, the search continues!

Yeah, sorry Bro!

It appears I totally "lucked" into this one!

DataNick
May-20-2013, 2:58am

OK,

This is for both Eric and MikeDMandoMan...

See the link here where I posted a couple of practice cuts with my band from Sat 5/18...you can get a pretty good idea of what the JBovier F5 Studio sounds like (pretty darn good woody tone, chop in my book!)

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?95467-J-Bovier-F5T&p=1166335#post1166335