PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Monroe Model Differences?

Michael Bridges
Apr-29-2013, 4:44am
Hope someone here can shed some light for me. I'm looking for a bit of info on a more "mundane" level than is common here. In my ongoing search for a mandolin that feels right to me (I do have largeish hands and fingers), I've been hitting the music stores and trying as many different mandos as possible.As I've stated elsewhere, pricing is also a limiting factor for me, but looking for the best sounding , best playing instrument I can find. I've looked at several, what I would consider decent, intermediate line pacrims (The Loar, Kentucky, Washburn,etc.)So far, the absolute best playing and sounding thing I've played was the Morgan Monroe MDM-2. This is their "Distressed" model, attempting to look older, more worn-in. The neck just fit my hands better than anything I've tried, and the tone has a really nice, woody ring to it. My question is, they also offer 1 more model, the MMS-2WN, which also has the wider nut, but with a more standard sunburst, not the distressed look. Anybody know if that is the only difference in the models? Haven't been able to find a 2WN to try out yet, but if the only differences are cosmetic, it might be an alternative. Hope somebody here knows something about them, any input is appreciated in advance.

Folkmusician.com
Apr-29-2013, 8:49am
Hi Mike,

These are entirely different from one another. The mms-2wn has a flat fingerboard. Nothing is exactly alike between them.

Michael Bridges
Apr-29-2013, 4:47pm
Robert,
Thank you, that's what I needed to know. Checked out your website, VERY nice. I believe we may be doing some bidness in the future!

Folkmusician.com
Apr-29-2013, 9:32pm
Hi Mike,

Give me a call with any questions. I would be happy to discuss any of the mandolins in detail. No expectations on my end. :)