PDA

View Full Version : Played a 'zouk for the first time yesterday...

mehrsam
Feb-01-2005, 11:13am
I have a handmade Minstrel 'zouk in my posession until tomorrow morning when I ship it to its rightful owner in West Virginia (long story which I'll save for another time).

Minstrel mandos, 'dolas, OM's and 'zouks are made by Daunt Lee in Newfoundland, and recently listed in the Cafe database:

Mandolin Cafe Builder Database: Search Results

Name: # Lee, Daunt #
Company: # Minstrel #
Address: # 70 Campbell Ave #
# #
St. John's, Nfld #
Link: # email #
Phone/fax: # (709) 576-4486 #
Comments: # Acoustic flattop mandolins, mandolas and bouzoukis #
Update: # November, 2004 #
ID: # 857

Details: 25 1/4" scale, solid cedar top, solid rosewood back and sides, rosewood fingerboard, rosewood non-adjustable bridge, chrome gibson-style tailpiece, 3-on-plate tuners, satin finish, GG-DD-aa-ee. Deceivingly lightweight for its size.

Having never played anything in the mandolin family larger than a standard mando I was hooked as soon as I played the first chord. Loud, powerful and the scale was comfortable for me, having played guitar for years. Lush chord melodies seemed to fly effortlessly off the 'zouk. Awesome.

What are some good 'zouk recordings for newbies like me? Irish, Scottish, Greek, Canadian, lower Mongolian - doesn't matter, as long as I can get a flavor of what one can do on this remarkable instrument.

And the best part of all of this? Upon hearing the 'zouk and seeing the blissful state I was in, my beautiful and very sensible wife said, "I think you need one of those for yourself." Did I marry well, or what?

Jim M.
Feb-02-2005, 12:08am
'Zouks really captured me when I first played one too. A lot of good zouk recordings from Cafe members:

Roger Landes, "Dragon Reels" (This was one of my first zouk CDs, and is still one of the best available) Roger also has done "Janissary Stomp" and a new one with fiddler Randal Bays.

Dan Beimborn, "Shatter the Calm" and a new one to be released in the next year or so, we hope. Not all zouk, but a great album of zouk and mando nonetheless. (Not to be confused with the shellfish cookbook, "Shatter the Clam")

Kevin Maccleod and Dagger Gordon (two of our Scottish correspondents) have great albums out. Again, not all zouk but very worthwhile albums. I got mine from Music Scotland, a very good merchant.

Non-Cafe members: Gerald Trimble, "First Flight", probably the first American to seriously pick one of these long-necked things, I was just re-listening to this one today, and it's got some inspiring work on it. Joseph Sobol, "Citternalia", for a different take, see what can happen when you finger-pick a zouk; a really great album.

If you're looking for some great mandola work, try any of Ale Moller's albums.

Sorry, can't help you with Greek or Mongolian, but David Lindley has been known to play some mean saz. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Luthier
Feb-02-2005, 11:24am
You still have time to make one......There are openings left for the April workshop.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/northern/
No prior woodworking experience is needed! #You will leave with your own OM in just 3 1/2 days!!

Don

otterly2k
Feb-02-2005, 11:31am
Agreed on all of the recommendations above. I'm listening to a lot of "Nordic" music these days and especially enjoy Ale Moller/Aly Bain's collaborative album "Fully Rigged"

Let's add to that anything by Andy Irvine... not all zouk, but stunning on any mando-family instrument.

KE
ps. I'll also second Luthier's comment above... I'll be one of the workshop participants in April and would love to meet any of yuz...not to mention jamming!

mehrsam
Feb-02-2005, 12:19pm
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did find I have Kevin MacLeod's "Springwell" and Simon Mayor's "New Celtic Mandolin" in my collection, so I've got a start.

I sent the zouk on to its rightful owner this morning *snif*. I had as much fun with it last night as a person can have with their clothes still on. Great for fingerpicking, too...had a nice version of "Kitchen Gal" going.

Now I'm thinking, "If 8 strings are good, can 10 strings be better?" Visions of a 5 course cittern are dancing in my head.

danb
Feb-02-2005, 2:10pm
Personally, I think GDAEA-tuned 22" scale zook is the ultimate crossover celto-instrument http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

John Bertotti
Feb-02-2005, 7:39pm
The five courser I built is tuned gdaed currently. The sound of these things just booms. Oddly the common smoke in the water riff sounds extremely cool. I haven't taken it to high a yet just because I wanted to see how it would hold up at d. Luthiers kit went together well considering it wasn't meant to be a five course instrument. John

mehrsam
Feb-02-2005, 10:25pm
John:
Would you tell more about how you built one of Luthier Don's kits into a 5 course (I assume you are referring to Don Kawalek's OM kit, yes?).

Luthier Don:
Thanks a lot...now I have to choose between your class and Niles' Rhythm Mandolin Boot Camp! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

John Bertotti
Feb-03-2005, 4:53am
I wanted an octave Mandola so Don modified a neck by cutting the fret board of at the second fret. He made it a little wider for me also. The only thing I would change is the bottom of the fret board needs to be a bit wider. I wound up stringing it so at the nut the spacing is almost like my vega and at the end of the fret board the strings are at the edge. If the bottom was wider the spacings at the nut could be wider and you could also make it wider at the bridge. It is a bit tight at the moment. That may be normal on citterns though, keep in mind this is the only one I've ever see. I'll post a pic or two if you want. Don offered to make me another neck but I'm not sure I'm going to change it. It is my first and I think I'd rather get started on another instrument instead. This spacing is fine for my small hands plus I put a radius on the board so it is easier to fret. Thanks John

steve V. johnson
Feb-03-2005, 11:22am
For listening recommendations I would add James Kelly and Zan McLeod, "The Ring Sessions," tho you may have to do some searching for it. Try OssianUSA.com for that one. Also Randal Bays & Roger Landes, "House to House," an album of live house concert recordings, LOVELY! And Michael Holmes with the band Dervish plays a big ol' Phil Crump zouk very well. Eamon Doorley plays some wonderful zouk on with Danu, see www.danu.net. The DVD "Planxty Live 2004" is a -great- way to not only hear but to see what Donal Lunny and Andy Irvine do with the mando family instruments.

I hope this helps!

stv

John Bertotti
Feb-26-2005, 7:22pm
One addition to Dons kit. I decided that the spacing at the bridge, after I adjusted the nut to a decent spacing pattern, was to tight. I don't feel like making a wider version of the finger board so I'm turning it into a four course instrument. If you choose to go with Don's kit lay out your brige and nut spacings ahead of time so you can fine tune the neck taper. I loved it's tone as a five courser fwiw. Don did offer to send a wider neck and such but as a five course instrument it was a bit much for my small hand. John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif