PDA

View Full Version : Ivoroid Picks

Levi
Apr-23-2013, 9:26pm
Has anyone used an ivoroid pick? Are they even any different than celluloid? Since tone quality is subjective, all I'd like to know is if they're anything special.

pickyaboutpicks
Apr-24-2013, 5:11pm
Are you talking about ''tusq'' picks? tusq picks sound very crisp and are fast

Mike Bunting
Apr-24-2013, 5:40pm
Has anyone used an ivoroid pick? Are they even any different than celluloid? Since tone quality is subjective, all I'd like to know is if they're anything special.

I got one about 10 years ago from Greg Boyd, I think he still sells them. It's still lying around but I never use it.

Cheryl Watson
Apr-24-2013, 5:56pm
I have some Gilchrist ivoroid picks in a large (roughly 2mm thick) triangle. They are not as crisp and loud as a Blue Chip or Red Bear and they do not glide off the strings quite as well either but they are pretty good. They wear quite well and they have a nice clear but softer sound that comes in quite handy when I need to practice somewhat quieter or when I am playing on a porch with boards. I'd hate to lose a Blue Chip or Red Bear between the slats. I'd put them roughly in the same category as a Pro Plec.

Levi
Apr-24-2013, 8:46pm
The Greg Boyd ones were the ones I saw. I'm interested in more of a warm tone, so I don't think I'll bother with these.

pickyaboutpicks
Apr-24-2013, 10:33pm
For a warmer tone use a pick over1.25 mm such as pro plec

Levi
Apr-25-2013, 7:32am
For a warmer tone use a pick over1.25 mm such as pro plec

I just ordered some 1.9mm Clayton Acetals, which is basically a slightly softer and much thicker version of the 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex I currently use (and thoroughly enjoy).