PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other Tacoma owners?

Scott Cressey
Feb-01-2005, 4:57am
I was wondering if anyone else here owns a Tacoma Mandolin. I have had my Tacoma M3 for about a month. I upgraded from a Rogue.

Regards, Scotty

Rroyd
Feb-01-2005, 9:48am
Well, there was one, but I see in the Wintergrass #thread in general discussions that he has permanently signed off. #(I'm sure there are others, however.) #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lee
Feb-01-2005, 12:37pm
Yes, there are other people who own or have owned Tacomas. #
Are you fishing for opinions? #If so, post yours first. We just love to comment on other people's opinions around here. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Scott Cressey
Feb-01-2005, 1:00pm
Lee, I am just looking for input from other owners regarding what type of strings they prefer, setup tips, etc.

Regards,Scotty

b.pat
Feb-01-2005, 1:24pm
Scott,
#I owned a M3 for a while. Set up with TI Starks, it played like a dream. #Not a lot of volume, but a nice earthy tone. But alast, you can't keep them all. #
# # # # # # # B.Pat http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

cutbait2
Feb-02-2005, 10:22am
i had one also, played great, stayed in tune, excellent construction, materials, i used J74's, i bought it from a jazz musician. no complaints.

Tim Saxton
Feb-02-2005, 11:08am
I had one also. The factory set up was fine. Used Elixers and it had a real nice tone. They really did make a nice flat top. It was a ton of value for the money. I thought the frets were a little too oversized however. It's just a shame they never brought out that carved top mando.

Tim

Lee
Feb-02-2005, 11:23am
I liked the brightness of the J74's on the one I had.

Chris Cantergiani
Feb-02-2005, 11:38am
I bought an M-1 back in 2002 in order to see if my hunch that I'd like the mandolin was correct. The price was right, and I really liked the sound when compared to the other mandolins on hand at the 2 stores I checked in Atlanta. I don't play it as much now because I wound up getting a custom built BRW this summer, but I will definately keep it for camp-outs and roadtrips. The Elixer strings were fine, but wound up putting J74's on and have stuck with those. The set-up was whatever "Maple Street Guitars" did to it.

Scott Cressey
Feb-02-2005, 12:51pm
I'm not sure what the strings are on mine now. They came on it when I bought it used. I have a brand new set of J-74's to put on it, they should brighten it up. Compared to my Rogue it stays in tune like a dream, I never have to touch it. The action is also very nice. The only other Mando I've ever had is the Rogue, so I dont have much to compare it to, but when I was comparing bang for the buck, it was hard to pass up. Thanks for the string suggestions.

Regards, Scotty

Tim Saxton
Feb-02-2005, 1:30pm
Scott,

play it and enjoy it. Don't let the brand snobs put you off. If it feels good and plays well great. Also if you like it thats even better.

Enjoy it!

Tim Saxton

Scott Cressey
Feb-02-2005, 5:10pm
Tim, I wish they would have gone ahead with the plans of the carved top mando also, but I guess since Fender has acquired them that plan is probaly gone.

Scotty

ahollan
Feb-02-2005, 5:47pm
M-1 owner. I have experimented with various strings and now keep light ones on it, like the Martin 80/20s, but play it with a 2mm pick.

I have played mine to the point that the black lacquer finish on the tailpiece is starting to wear through where the button on my cuff contacts the tailpiece. Can anyone recommend a replacement tailpiece with a hole pattern that is identical?

Albert

Richard Polf
Feb-03-2005, 1:37am
Scotty,

Ditto everthing Tim Saxton said. You've got a fine instrument there --- just play the heck out of it and enjoy yourself!

All the best, Richard

Spruce
Feb-03-2005, 1:15pm
Hello Mr. Polf....
I thought you were gone....
At least that's what you said...

So, after this thoughtful discussion on Tacoma mandolins, one complely devoid of the attitude that you stated is rampant here, namely "that if you don't have a Loar, Gilchrist, Nugget, etc. as the price of admission you're not welcome here", do you still think you can stand behind your previous statement about this message board???

Here tis, in all it's glory:

"I can honestly say that I've never met a more mean-spirited, arrogant and narrow-minded bunch of musicians. " #Richard Polf

Personally, I think you owe us all an apology...
Because I have never met a more kind, supportive, and open-minded bunch of musicians...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just had to get that off my chest...

Billiam
Feb-03-2005, 2:51pm
M-1 owner. #I have experimented with various strings and now keep light ones on it, like the Martin 80/20s, but play it with a 2mm pick.

I have played mine to the point that the black lacquer finish on the tailpiece is starting to wear through where the button on my cuff contacts the tailpiece. #Can anyone recommend a replacement tailpiece with a hole pattern that is identical?

Albert
Were it mine, I'd think about having the original tailpiece powder coated black. That should hold up.

Tim Saxton
Feb-03-2005, 7:09pm
I'm glad Richard is still around. Pick that Tacoma like there is no tommorow buddy.

Tim

tiltman
Feb-03-2005, 8:26pm
I too was surprised to see Mr. Polf weigh in here...
Takes some big cajones to come back after such a dramatic exit...
Welcome back.

Kirk
Player of non-elite mandos
Not mean-spirited or arrogant

mad dawg
Feb-03-2005, 8:48pm
Yow -- I'm adding this thread to my watch list for a few days.

Richard Polf
Feb-04-2005, 6:43am
Spruce is right, I do owe an apology to the community. Here it is: I over-reacted and I'm sorry. I should not have generalized about the members of this community. No excuses, just bad judgement on my part, and a bad temper. Like a lot of artistic people I wear my emotions a little too close to the surface (thin-skinned and all that). And, yes, I can eat crow if I have to, it's not the first time http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif #

Despite my dramatic, and short-lived, exit, I responded to this thread because I simply wanted to encourage Mr. Cressey to feel good about his new instrument. I just wish that folks could be a little kinder when talking about others instruments. Music is hard enough as it is. Anyway, Tacoma mandolins are no more, except for the M1, so it's all a moot point.

Best to all, Richard

Flowerpot
Feb-04-2005, 12:59pm
Welcome back to the board, Richard. I hope you stay and enjoy the company.

tiltman
Feb-04-2005, 1:51pm
Mr. Polf,
Well said.
Again, welcome back.
I won't say anything about your mandolin if you don't say anything about my playing!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kirk

Spruce
Feb-04-2005, 2:02pm
Hey, thanks for that Richard....

"I just wish that folks could be a little kinder when talking about others instruments."

That's good advice...
Mando folks, for some reason, really defend their turf.
It's a weird instrument in that regard...

"Anyway, Tacoma mandolins are no more, except for the M1, so it's all a moot point."

Really?
I didn't know that.

Scott Cressey
Feb-04-2005, 2:43pm
From a fellow Tacoma M3 owner, welcome back Richard. Spruce, since Fender acquired Tacoma they only have the M1E listed on their website. Same design, but mahogany back instead of maple, different tuners, and electric.

Regards, Scotty

slewis
Mar-09-2005, 10:23am
I bought a Tacoma M1E two years ago (my first mando after playing guitar forever) and have really enjoyed it. I just joined this forum too as I was looking for info from other Tacoma owners. I know mine's the lower end of their line but it's been great and I haven't had a single problem with it. Is it a reasonably repected brand? Any consistent gripes or praises about their product?

Thanks!

slewis
Mar-14-2005, 2:59pm
Hmmm... maybe there AREN'T any other Tacoma owners out there?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

RobP
Mar-16-2005, 4:38pm
Hey SL

I have a Tacoma M1. I played it for almost 2 years and then I bought a Rigel A+deluxe. The Tacoma plays very well -- but I was after a pickup and had some extra cash so I decided to get a new mandolin around the pickup. If I had started with the M1E I might still be playing it; I play in a trio with a guitar player and singer and I *hated* having to play mandolin in front of 1 mike and sing into another. Made me feel like a pretzel.

I don't play the Tacoma much anymore, but I keep it for backup. Plus it was an anniversary gift from my wife so I will likely keep it forever.

Just play it!

Rob

Richard Polf
Mar-18-2005, 2:36am
Hmmm... maybe there AREN'T any other Tacoma owners out there?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
[QUOTE]

I think there are probably quite a few of us out here, but my personal experience is that we've never received a very warm welcome here at the Mandolin Cafe. I still love my 2000 M3 Sun Burst (if you want to hear it, it's on Mandotasting #2) but I'm to the point where I'm afraid to show up at a Bluegrass jam. For some reason the Tacomas just seem to really bug the purists.

I'm back to concentrating on guitar, a much friendlier world where it doesn't take a $3k plus instrument to join the club.

slewis
Mar-18-2005, 10:39am
RobP -- Good to hear you're also happy with your Tacoma experience. I bet it's a lot easier working with just one mic!

And rpolf, sorry to hear about your "welcome" here and the purists reaction to you horrendous choice of instruments. I have to think that says a heck of a lot more about them than you, though, of course. As I said, my Tacoma's my first mando but I'm sure enjoying it and we continue to work it more and more into our guitar/vocal duo material. Th sound of the mandolin makes all the anguish in playing on those teensy weensy little frets worth it!

You guys take care.

Boombloom
Mar-20-2005, 6:54pm
I bought an M1 when they first came out. It never really opened up, but holds tune beautifully and it is wonderful to play. It sounds like a dry guitar tuned like a mandolin. It's not loud, but it is sweet. There are some folks around here who used to love sniffing the soundholes of these instruments, but I guess they've gone somewhere else.

I don't play the M1 at jams, but I do play it for my baby daughter and I'll always keep it. Good, reliable instrument and a good player. It's nice to have an instrument I don't have to worry alot about--especially one I really enjoy playing.

Scott Cressey
Apr-19-2005, 9:37am
For anyone who is interested:
I noticed that Tacoma's website is back up and updated. Both the M3 and M1E are listed, and the list prices have gone up since Fender bought them.

Regards, Scotty

OzTaco
Nov-16-2008, 6:10am
Hi all.

Yep, new here, but registered because I think there are few things that need to be said and shared. I'm in Australia. We don't often do the sit-around bluegrass thing here. When it happens, it's ready muso's miked or with pickup-loaded irons ready to play. I have a Tacoma M1E and I love it to death. So does everyone else that comes around here and picks it up. Reasonably loud acoustically, yeah maybe not enough to cut some of the scenes discussed in other posts, but that tone!!! Ahhhh, lovely. The only thing I doin't like about the M1 is the lack of onboard control. Means you have to have an external preamp nearby to deal with adjustments required in live playing. So..... i've made it my mission to start making these in small numbers (seeing as Fender has dropped the line since taking over Tacoma) with minimal onboard controls (volume and tone sliders as part of a small curcuit board to mount on two small lugs) and do some experiments with regional timbers. First few will definetely be mahogany with red spruce top (I think that's what mine is), but we have some great native timbers down here in Australia which I'm sure will prove to be acknowledged tonewoods as more Australian made instruments get out there.

OK, any feedback most welcome.

PS: Just so you don't think I'm some sort of first time mandilin owner, I have many here, a few of which I play live regularly: Ovation MDC 148; Epiphone "Firebird 8"; old larger-bodied Silvertone; Blue Comet resonator mandolin; a tiny little Hensel Artist flatback (this one really cuts through); and another couple without any markings (I think one is an old Lyon & Healy).

Happy pikin' out there y'all. W.

OzTaco
Nov-16-2008, 6:17am
My last look at the Tacoma website only a few days ago and found no mandolins!

Bob Borzelleri
Dec-13-2008, 4:27pm
I bought a Tacoma M3E several years ago. It is a great example of craftsmanship. Maple and spruce and built in pickup. Radius'd fingerboard and one of the poorest designs for a tailpiece that I can imagine.

Bottom line for me is that it has full and consistent tone. The fretboard is a pleasure to play and when it is played through a good acoustic amp with minimal tone controls, the sound is very pleasing. I will likely keep it until it ceases to be fun to play and that point in time appears way off.

I have a 615 Eastman and there is no question in my mind that the Eastman sounds more "woody" and resonant. There are times when that's the sound I want and there are times that the Tacoma is what I want to hear. One day, after I relieve myself of an instrument or two, I will get a National RM-1 for when I want to hear the sound that you can get only from the National.

I have followed the comments from folks who don't like the tone of the Tacoma because it isn't what they think a quality mandolin should sound like. Many of them don't like the National RM-1 either.

I have a hard time understanding how limiting one's appreciation of various forms of the mandolin can be viewed as a preferable position to occupy.

Nate
Jan-16-2009, 12:24pm
I've got a Tacoma, M1-E I think. It was/is my first mandolin (I've got a beat-up bowlback and a banjo-mandolin also, now) and I got an exceptional deal on it when I bought it. I really love its sound, though I'm not really accomplished enough to compare it to more traditional styles / brands.

It has a tone that fits in well with the style of music I've been playing on it (church, and singer-songwriter type of stuff), but now that I've got three instruments, I'm wanting to start learning some traditional tunes, I'll have to wait and see how it holds up to that, but I'm not a stickler for traditional tone.

Mine took a pretty significant truss rod and bridge adjustment after I got it to get everything into proper position, but it plays really well now. It's also got a rustic craftsman charm that I really appreciate. It feels like a solid instrument, unlike some of the traditional mandos in the same price range I had tried.