PDA

View Full Version : Blake/Ostroushko

luckylarue
Jan-31-2005, 7:52pm
Can't seem to get enough of this cd. The mandolin picking by both is sublime - particularly on the tunes Muddy Creek and Little Bessie. Anyone else feel the same or have worked out these versions?

PhilGE
Jan-31-2005, 8:52pm
Here's a version I transcribed. It doesn't include the mandola part
-Phil

acousticphd
Jan-31-2005, 9:40pm
Muddy Creek is one of the neatest tunes I've heard in the last year or so. #I am still looking for anyone in my neck of the woods (middle TN) who has even heard of it, let alone plays it. #There is a version tabbed out (by Mike Buesseler) it the TAB section. #His melody is close to what I hear. #Phil, in the first half of the A part (meaures 4-6) the melody is a bit different and doesn't go up to the high "B", like it does in the 2nd phrase.

Because there is no guitar accompaniment, it's tricky to hear all the chords suggested by the two instruments, but I hear some additional chords. #For example, if you listen to the mandola harmony, the progression: D/D/D/D/G/D/Bm/A #seems to be suggested in the A part.

There's also a neat variation in the B part accompaniment/harmony on alternate times through the tune, with the mandola/harmony suggesting more of a G/G/D/D/Em/D/GD/AD.

Wish we could sit down and all play it.

halfdeadhippie
Feb-01-2005, 9:16am
one of my all time favorites - Majroies Waltz # 3 - nice to hear Nancy back on the Cello - and Mr. Pete doin mandola!

I picked that up at a Peter Ostroushko show a few years back - he played here in Jan and I missed it - kicking my self.

Mike Buesseler
Feb-01-2005, 10:25am
The version of #Muddy Creek that I transcribed in the TAB section is as close to the recorded melody as I could get it (pretty close, I think). #

My partner and I don't play mandola, so the second part is written for mandolin. #I made it up, trying to capture the feeling of Peter O's mandola part. #My buddy reworked it some to his liking and we got us a great duet! #I play melody, five times through, my partner plays 5 different variations along with it. #We consider it one of our best pieces. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

acousticphd
Feb-01-2005, 12:32pm
I forgot in my previous post - another favorite from this CD is the tune "Oklahoma Redwing", played by Peter O. For a tune entirely in C/G, that one is pretty interesting. It is virtually imossible to tab out any one melody for that, as he plays probably 10 variations. Another one that no one I have ever asked has heard of.

Mandobar
Feb-01-2005, 2:41pm
marjorie's waltz #3 is my favorite on that album. i also like peter's down from the red lodge album. teelin bay waltz is my fave on that one.

Mike Buesseler
Feb-01-2005, 3:41pm
Acousticphd--

I think you meant "Oklahoma Redbird." #I found this...don't know if it's the same tune.
Oklahoma Redbird (http://www.missourifiddling.com/Music/Oklahoma_Redbird.htm)

acousticphd
Feb-01-2005, 4:10pm
I think you meant "Oklahoma Redbird." #I found this...don't know if it's the same tune.
Oklahoma Redbird

You are correct, thanks. And that transcription is the same melody, but in Bb (ugh!), not C. .

Mike Buesseler
Feb-01-2005, 6:15pm
I use a program called Melody Assistant. I punched in the notes as shown on that sheet, then just did a "fast transpose" to C. Neat little tune. Wish I could play it for you...
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Mike Buesseler
Feb-02-2005, 12:28pm
Don't know why I didn't think of this before. #Melody Asst also exports to a variety of file types, including ABC. #Lots of other programs read ABC, so here is Oklahoma Redbird, Key of C.

M:2/4 # #
L:1/16 # #
K:C
z4 z2 EF |:G2^FG AG=FG |EGcd e2de |fedc BGBd |cedc BAGE |G2^FG AG=FG |EGcd e2de |fedc BGBd |[1cedB c2EF :|[2cedB c2GB |c2Gc e2ce |g2eg c'2ga |b2gb a^fdf |a2ga gfed |c2Gc e2ce |g2eg c'2ga |b2ab afdB |c2dB c2GB ||
c2Gc e2ce |g2eg c'2ga |b2gb a^fdf |a2ga gfed |c2Gc e2ce |g2eg c'2ga |b2ab afdB |c2dB c4 |]

RobP
Feb-02-2005, 7:56pm
This is my current favorite CD! Thanks for the files.

I really like the "Log Hut Down the Lane" song -- am planning to learn that with my band to play.

Anyone ever heard that version of Blackberry Blossom before?

Cheers,

Rob

acousticphd
Feb-02-2005, 8:11pm
Anyone ever heard that version of Blackberry Blossom before?

Yes, sort of - there is version on the CD "All I've Got's Done Gone" (Rhys Jones, fiddle, I don't remember the the others) with similar melody, but at a lickety split pace.

PhilGE
Feb-02-2005, 8:58pm
Yes, sort of - there is version on the CD "All I've Got's Done Gone" (Rhys Jones, fiddle, I don't remember the the others) #with similar melody, but at a lickety split pace.

That would include Jeff Miller on Banjo and Jim Nelson on guitar. They have a second CD out now entitled Mississippi Square Dance. Both CDs are on the Vigortone Records (http://www.vigortonerecords.com/) label. Highly recommended stuff!

-Phil

luckylarue
Feb-02-2005, 11:54pm
Much obliged to all for the input. Nice job Mike w/ the tab - you saved me hours of time learning the tune! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
I love those ringing open strings - especially playing solo.

twaaang
Mar-23-2005, 10:28am
The "Oklahoma Redbird" version written in Bb is actually not that difficult, especially compared to "President Garfield's Hornpipe" which is usually shown in Bb and can be an utter beast. I think it's worthwhile to dabble in Bb major since the fingering gets you to G minor, lending some facility for example on Monroe's "Kentucky Mandolin" which I've always thought was one of the prettiest tunes on the planet. Yesyesyes of course it's desirable to be able to play in any key, but some of them clearly show greater promise than others, depending on your context and priorities. -- Paul

mingusb1
Mar-24-2005, 9:47am
Hey, do any of you have the new Ostroushko recording "Minnesota, a history of the land"? #I posted a little review here a few weeks back.

Last weekend I sat down and learned 2 tunes from it. #A slow, brooding tune "Metis" (D minor) with nice droned strings, and the upbeat "Plowman's Reel" (G). #

The nice thing is that the tunes are slow enough that I could actually pick them out off of the CD without tracking back to hear every individual note.

The record is not mandolin-heavy, but there is some cool "epic" sounding stuff on there.

Z