PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a Colling's MT O !

katygrasslady
Apr-18-2013, 3:39pm
I was telling my Mom about all the great help I've been getting from this forum, and how I'm focused on getting a better mandolin when I sell some stuff. The sound bites available on the internet really hooked me. The Kentucky KM 174 was way better than the pawn shop Crestwood I started on, but after 2 years, I'm ready to move up. I played a Colling's MT O at a store and really liked it. I grew up playing a mahogany guitar, and I miss that rich warm tone. Mom decided she can't take it with her, so she's sending me the $$. I ordered the honey amber finish. It should be ready by end of August. So great to have such a wonderful thing to look forward to.
Kathryn

jasona
Apr-18-2013, 3:51pm
Congrats! Play it and think of your mom for a very long time

JEStanek
Apr-18-2013, 5:47pm
Enjoy it!

Jamie

Shelagh Moore
Apr-18-2013, 7:23pm
Fine choice and lovely of your Mum... enjoy it!

fatt-dad
Apr-18-2013, 7:40pm
This is a great story. I look forward to the pictures in the months to come. . .

f-d

Randy Smith
Apr-19-2013, 10:07am
Hope you savor your anticipation. I think you'll really love the MT O when it arrives.

dang
Apr-19-2013, 12:18pm
Congrats! Good luck with the anticipation though...

I am loving mine (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?86549-Collings-MT2O-with-one-piece-Birds-Eye-Maple-back) more and more every day, though it took us a while to bond (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?90424-Oval-Hole-Sound-Issues-(in-my-head-)).

katygrasslady
Apr-19-2013, 12:55pm
I am loving mine (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?86549-Collings-MT2O-with-one-piece-Birds-Eye-Maple-back) more and more every day, though it took us a while to bond (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?90424-Oval-Hole-Sound-Issues-(in-my-head-)).

Dang, that Birdseye is absolutely stunning. Mine will the the plain ole MT, as I didn't want to spend the extra thousand on the gussied up version. And as for learning to like it, I bonded with the one in the store instantly. Ya, this is what I want!

Slyder
Apr-19-2013, 1:27pm
I have had an MTO (also honey amber) for just over a year and really enjoyed it. The combination of oval hole and slightly shorter neck make it a nice change of pace from a an f style. It does have a warm sound that will fill up the room. Once you start playing it is tough to put it down. Have fun with it!

bookmn
Apr-19-2013, 1:49pm
Good for you. That's the instrument I'd love to have once I figure out how to pay for it. I just like everythng about it. I've only had the chance to play an f-hole Collings, but it was fantastic and I'm sure the oval is as well. Please review and post pics when it come in!

willy jeff
Apr-22-2013, 11:59am
read your note. Sent my mom a dozen roses. Great instrument!

sgrexa
Apr-22-2013, 12:43pm
Hi Katy,

Congrats but I am a little confused. You say you bonded with the one in the store but ordered a different / new one? You also mentioned liking a warm mahogany tone, so did you order a custom MTO with a mahogany back and sides (maybe neck)?

Sean

robert.najlis
Apr-22-2013, 1:50pm
enjoy!

katygrasslady
Apr-22-2013, 3:41pm
Hi Katy,

Congrats but I am a little confused. You say you bonded with the one in the store but ordered a different / new one? You also mentioned liking a warm mahogany tone, so did you order a custom MTO with a mahogany back and sides (maybe neck)?

Sorry, the bond with my first encounter with a Collings was broken at the time due to lack of funds. That was when I put the guitar on consignment last fall. I just ordered the standard MTO, but it has a much warmer, woodier tone than my current beginner model Kentucky. I only mentioned my guitar to explain how I came to appreciate better made instruments. Mom even noticed when I recently sent her a sample of my attempt to play some Bach the Kentucky. She asked 'how does one get a more sustained note on a mandolin'. She was a music major, she knows this stuff. I told her one gets a better mandolin than the one I'm currently playing. I tried the 'wiggle your fretting finger' technique but it doesn't really work on the Kentucky. Good idea, tho. I'd love to hear a Colling's made of mahogany.
Kathryn