PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Envy

MikeEdgerton
Apr-16-2013, 3:12pm
The quandary. If F means Florentine why does U mean harp guitar? The answer? F means F. No Financial Interest but I am lusting after this:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/65273

allenhopkins
Apr-16-2013, 3:22pm
Maybe "U" means "unusual," or even "unwieldy."

Prepare to play sitting down, if you get one. I've played a Gibson U (very briefly), and they weigh a ton.

catmandu2
Apr-16-2013, 3:22pm
Cool--always wanted one of those...ever since being a Michael Hedges follower

My new axe (wire)...I've given up the fingerboard and gone right for the resonance : )

catmandu2
Apr-16-2013, 3:24pm
Maybe "U" means "unusual," or even "unwieldy."

Prepare to play sitting down, if you get one...[/B]

...and maintenance

btw, if you haven't yet, check out the baroque lutes for other--and perhaps more wieldy-- harp/necked instruments

Ryk Loske
Apr-16-2013, 3:26pm
A guitar with an upside down U on top?

Allen's right ... put on your big boy BVDs picking up one of these. They are fun though.

Ryk

MikeEdgerton
Apr-16-2013, 3:26pm
I tell you what, I'd love to be able to play the harp. Those things are amazing.

I think Paul Hostetter suggested that U might have stood for "Uber" something, I just can't remember what the something was.

catmandu2
Apr-16-2013, 3:43pm
I tell you what, I'd love to be able to play the harp.

Well the instrument is highly intuitive, I believe. Try out a lap harp, maybe. Lots of folks try it out at later ages...probably to assuage long-held desires

Btw, we've been discussing some of these harp/fretted-type configurations over on the MRE group

While quite a bit less gothic and colossal, the tiple family is interesting. I find the gitarron Chileno very evocative. It's discussed a little here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=3839&do=discuss

(poor man's harp guitar? ; )

It's interesting--for someone like me who cant decide between contrabass and mandolin...the options are intriguing (check out, e.g., the Ethiopian harp of Alemu Aga...sounds like e-bass guitar)