PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing a Mandolin Upgrade.

monsieurgn
Apr-14-2013, 10:41pm
I've owned a Michael Kelly 'Legend Elegante' F model as a first mandolin for about 4 years. Now I am looking to 'upgrade' to a little better sounding instrument. So far I'm liking the Loar, the Kentucky, and the Weber brands. The Collins is probably out of my price range. I'm not able to 'try-out' all of the brand models. I'd really appreciate it if the forum would share opinions or make suggestions for me on the best sound for the money.

mrmando
Apr-14-2013, 10:56pm
With Kentucky it depends on which model you buy. Not sure if The Loar has anything better than what you've got. Webers are good.

The really useful information would be how much your budget is and which model(s) you are considering from each brand that you've mentioned.

greg_tsam
Apr-15-2013, 8:37am
I've owned several Webers and wouldn't consider them in the same class as The Loar and Kentucky. I played a The Loar last month at GC and liked it for what it was but...

Tobin
Apr-15-2013, 8:58am
You said the Collings is out of your price range, but you didn't mention what your price range is. That would be helpful.

Markus
Apr-15-2013, 9:05am
I would make sure that a used Collings isn't in your price range,but if not then I would go with Weber. IMO, both make fine mandolins that should feel like a nice step up.

JEStanek
Apr-15-2013, 9:50am
Welcome to the Cafe.

I really liked the Collings MT I played (once) and have found the Weber neck chunkier than I prefer. If I had a budget up to $1700, I would look for a Used Collings MT. The Kentucky KM1000 and 900 are supposed to be pretty good as well. I've never played a The Loar brand mandolin so I can't say one way or the other. They get good reviews. I would suggest trying at least something representative of each brand/model if if it isn't the exact one you buy.

Willie Poole
Apr-15-2013, 12:28pm
To the OP...If you are in or near Maryland send me a PM and I`ll make you an offer that you can`t refuse....

Willie

terzinator
Apr-15-2013, 1:27pm
If I had a budget up to $1700, I would look for a Used Collings MT.

This ^

...or even if your budget was a little less!

I sold my old MT for $1300, as it had some fretwear and I'd worn through the finish on the top from posting (a habit I've since tried to break)... but warts and all, it was still a killer sounding mandolin.