PDA

View Full Version : Second Mandolin

Adam Tracksler
Jan-31-2005, 10:35am
I had an old kay that recently broke. I am looking at buying a new F-style. I'm not the best, but enjoy parking lot pickin' and bluegrass, so I dont need a loar gibson.

I am debating the Rover RM-75 and a Michael Kelly Evolution.. or the washburn Jethro Burns in the classified. Any opinions on these? I'm thinking that I can buy the rover, get a new bridge and tailpiece and some more books and DVDs and be pretty happy.

Any other suggestions? I want a nice F-style that is not sunburst.

Lee
Jan-31-2005, 10:59am
Greg Boyd boasts the creme-of-the-crop for a new Rover and you can be sure it'll be well set-up. You'll pay a bit of a premium but it's money well spent. #Greg's customers invariably give him two big thumbs up whenever customer satisfaction is discussed.

John Rosett
Jan-31-2005, 1:25pm
i've played the rover that greg has in stock now, and it's really an incredible value in an F-style mando. the set-up makes a BIG difference.
john

Red Sakti
Jan-31-2005, 1:39pm
yay..yess sunburst should be cast down into the eternal pit of yawndom..well I tried out loadsa MKs recently and I really really like the Evolution...maybe its the non-binding wierdness i dunno but it looks yumm and I rekon has a killa sound at its price tag which is (sticks neck out) way betta than the rover I tried (hides)...although as previous posters have said, a decent setup may have been what was lacking....but not very exciting colours....you could always go for a weber custom, they are kinda funky..tho more expensive of course...although there was a funky and kinda well priced blue/gray bitteroot on ebay yesterday (oops forgot I cant mention that place on here..lol)

Lane Pryce
Jan-31-2005, 3:19pm
I played a Rover too and it just had no volume,almost sounded like a guitar!!!Lp I just looked at the choclate brown jethro in the ads.Hey looks cool and well made.If you can get a decent trial period I'd give that a test drive!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Lp

Adam Tracksler
Feb-06-2005, 8:16am
I just got the rover home yesterday, it is great. Super loud. low action, nice tone. Would definately reccomend it.

Lane Pryce
Feb-06-2005, 9:29am
Cool/Sweeeet!!!! Lp

El Rey del Mando
Feb-06-2005, 10:44am
You can get the rover on e, right now for 259.00.Put an 18.00 stew mac ebony bridge and a 5.00 set of J74s on it and your in business.It will sound good right away,but in a couple of weeks,you will see what I mean. I have 4 other mandos,Gibsons,Flatiron,and I got one just to have.For the money,you can't go wrong.Just look at the specs on it.If you played mine,you would buy it.I am going to get another one to experement with.I have to say,out of the box they are a little funky.the rosewood bridge is soft and the strings were imbedded into it.My brother bought one also and his was the same way.after I did what I told you,his sounded good too.He has some heavy hitters in his collection and when he heard mine he wanted one just to keep.He played it for a while one night at band practice and it cut real well.(I play a different instrument in our band)That little mother even stood up to me. I won't mention the other instrument but I have mandolin in my heart as much as anyone but someone has to play the other thing.You can't play bluegrass with out one.We do have a couple of mando duets in the set though.Hope this helps.

John

KevinM
Feb-11-2005, 2:26pm
Grab that $1700 Flatiron Festival F in the classifeds and spray paint over the sunburst.

Big Joe
Feb-11-2005, 4:23pm
How about a natural finished Master Model? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Bill Snyder
Feb-11-2005, 8:49pm
I just got the rover home yesterday, it is great. Super loud. low action, nice tone. Would definately reccomend it.
It looks to me he chose the Rover and likes it.

Adam Tracksler
Feb-12-2005, 7:45am
I do like it. spent the balance on some more books and dvd's (which i think will make more of a difference to my playing than getting the $800 MK. Lets see where this next year takes me...

GeoMandoAlex
Feb-14-2005, 10:13pm
Best of luck with your new mando. Congratulations. Most of all, just enjoy. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif