PDA

View Full Version : Pikelny, McCoury, Bulla, Bales, and Sutton

Steve Roberts
Apr-09-2013, 1:46pm
This All-Star lineup is coming to my local concert venue this weekend. Anyone seen them play together? Would be curious to get a review of this combination of musicians. Thanks!

John Duncan
Apr-09-2013, 2:02pm
Here is a video from a rehearsal from them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVN8gPixyLQ&feature=share&list=UUknfFAeVpD6e5-9wriAGVwg

Marty Henrickson
Apr-09-2013, 8:32pm
Don't hesitate, get tickets!

Kevin Stevens
Apr-09-2013, 9:30pm
So excited to see them Friday night. Got front row center because I pounced as soon as they went onsale. There aren't many tickets left, standing room only.

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-10-2013, 2:19am
I'm green with envy !.It looks like Ronnie McCoury was back on his Gil.in that clip ?.As a banjo player,i appreciate Noam Pikelny's talent,but i wish he'd 'pick it straight' more often - but that's just me,
Ivan

tree
Apr-10-2013, 11:08am
Here is a video from a rehearsal from them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVN8gPixyLQ&feature=share&list=UUknfFAeVpD6e5-9wriAGVwg

Heyee, hey, hey, hey - are these guys coming to NC or SC? I'd LOVE to see that show!

Ethan Setiawan
Apr-10-2013, 12:01pm
Yes Ivan, Ronnie is back on his Gil. I saw them last fall and he told me then that he's been using the gil for a while now. He said it had a "darker tone" that he liked more than the mids in the loar, in his words.

Stephen Cagle
Apr-10-2013, 1:52pm
Please come to Georgia! I would for sure be there. Ronnie one of the best no dout and all these musicians are top notch pro's.. I would love to see more clips please!:grin:

Marty Henrickson
Apr-10-2013, 7:36pm
Yes, more clips would be nice. I really enjoyed Bryan's singing on TTTCMGFT, not to mention all the great picking! Their touring schedule can actually be found on the Punch Brothers' website.

Marty Henrickson
Apr-10-2013, 7:40pm
Yes, more clips would be nice. I really enjoyed Bryan's singing on TTTCMGFT, not to mention all the great picking! Their touring schedule can actually be found on the Punch Brothers' website. Stephen, it looks like the closest show to NW Georgia might be Delfest.

Stephen Cagle
Apr-10-2013, 8:28pm
I've watched the video probably 10 times, several at work and several times at home. Dang I think this would make an awesome band. It sounds pretty dang bluegrassy to me (which I love!) however they could most likely play any stage/venue out there. That little clip is making me want more from these guys. :whistling:

Ivan Kelsall
Apr-11-2013, 1:13am
Hi Ethan - Thanks for the info. I always loved the tone of Ronnie Mc's Gil & prefered it to the tone of his Loar.Similarly,i prefered the tone of Chris Thile's Dude.to his Loar.That's not to say that either Loar 'lacked' tone,it's just my preference.
It always strikes me as being such a shame that 'scratch' bands such as this,never stay together.They get together,maybe tour for a while & then they're gone.The same thing happened with Dan Tyminski's band when AKUS disbanded allowing AK to tour with Robert Plant.They always leave us wanting what we'll never have - MORE !,
Ivan:(