PDA

View Full Version : One Wide River, by Country Gents

AlanN
Apr-09-2013, 6:53am
Listened to this for the first time in several years. Jimmy Gaudreau I suppose had recently joined the band, replacing Duffey. Jimmy worked well within the band and with Emerson, never over playing. As a matter of fact, he didn't chop too much, only behind the banjo and maybe on a vocal chorus, in a sparse and tight fashion. He was on a 25 or 26 fern back then, terrific sound.

Willie Poole
Apr-12-2013, 12:11pm
Alan, I remember very well when J.G. joined the Gents. I thought they had lost their great sound but after listening for a while I realized that not many could play exactly like Duffey and Jimmy did fit in real well, it was little different but still had a great sound, I never quite fiqured out on each song if jimmy or Emerson was doing the tenor parts...A lot of people didn`t realize how good of a tenor singer Bill Emerson was/is....The Gents were and still are my favorite bluegrass band, as you may already know....I still play the CD`s you sent me....Mostly when I am traveling....

Willie

AlanN
Apr-12-2013, 12:19pm
Not many folks listen today to those old recordings, Willie. They are going the way of the 2 dollar bill and cheap gas. I think they're great, albeit some of the recording tech sounds a bit dated. And the fact that many of those early records never made it to CD. Another Rebel album grouping was called The CG - Yesterday & Today. There were 3 LPs, vols. 1,2,3. I have the last 2, never have seen #1. These were a good smorsgabord of recordings - live and studio, with the differernt players they had from the early days (late 50's through the early 70's).

I'll Be On That Gaudreau Someday....