PDA

View Full Version : Down to three models, which would you choose?

seanhess
Apr-08-2013, 2:05pm
Alright, I've been investigating which mandolin to upgrade to, and I'm down to three choices. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. Sound and playability are the most important things to me.

($950) Kentucky KM-900
($950) Breedlove OF
($620) Eastman MD-505

Which would you buy, and why?

Do all three have a similar sound quality? What are the major tradeoffs or differences between them (aside from looks)?

SincereCorgi
Apr-08-2013, 2:33pm
Those are all good instruments. All things considered, I'd get the Eastman (very good bang/buck ratio) and save toward getting a used Collings MT, Northfield, Weber or Gibson A9, in a couple years, when you'll probably know more about what kind of sound you want.

Tom Cherubini
Apr-08-2013, 2:43pm
The sound of these three are as different as could be, considering that they are all good instruments for the price.
The Kentucky has its own bluegrass-leaning sound.
The Breedlove has a sweeter sound than many custom-built instruments and tons more sustain than any factory mandolin that I've come across.
The Eastman has a decent bottom and middle and a rather weak top (considering its reputation for quality).

I know I'll get hammered for this, but that's my $0.02
Where'd you find those prices?

Strings8

John Duncan
Apr-08-2013, 3:04pm
For me, I'd buy the Kentucky KM 900. It'll last you a while as you play and grow as a mando player.

Larry S Sherman
Apr-08-2013, 3:09pm
I agree on the KM900. Should last you, and good resale value.

Larry

Capt. E
Apr-08-2013, 3:10pm
I also would choose the Kentucky KM 900. It could serve as your only mandolin for a long time (unless you catch the dreaded MAS disease).

northfolk
Apr-08-2013, 3:20pm
Kentucky KM900, for sure?

mandroid
Apr-08-2013, 3:44pm
Breedlove, mostly, It's an Oregon thing ..

I don't, personally, own any of the 3 though..

.. friends in the Area, have a Breedlove and an Eastman..
but maybe diff models.. :whistling:

Eddie Sheehy
Apr-08-2013, 4:11pm
With the Breedlove you're not paying for any 'frills' and it's American-made...

Gregory Tidwell
Apr-08-2013, 4:22pm
I love my Breedlove Quartz OF. Wish it were a bit louder though, but it sounds great.

Markus
Apr-08-2013, 4:35pm
All fine instruments, all very different.

I found the Eastman and Breedlove felt very different in playing ... different fretboard specs made me prefer the feel of the Breedlove, as did the sustain, volume, and the upper register. Did not have a Kentucky to try.

To my ear and hand, all felt very different. If you could play them, you would know.

pefjr
Apr-08-2013, 4:52pm
Don't worry about the details, throw a dart and start your journey. If you continue with mandolin, you will not be happy with any of the three for long before you will see another you want bad.

swain
Apr-08-2013, 5:20pm
I'd buy the one I liked playing the most.

Learned that the hard way.

robert.najlis
Apr-08-2013, 5:22pm
they all have different neck widths/shapes. That could be very important for you.

Marc Berman
Apr-08-2013, 7:47pm
FYI - The Mandolin Store is selling the 900 for $899.

f5loar
Apr-08-2013, 8:21pm
I would only consider the 900.

sholmes
Apr-08-2013, 8:43pm
Alright, I've been investigating which mandolin to upgrade to, and I'm down to three choices. Many thanks to everyone who has helped me so far. Sound and playability are the most important things to me.

($950) Kentucky KM-900
($950) Breedlove OF
($620) Eastman MD-505

Which would you buy, and why?

Do all three have a similar sound quality? What are the major tradeoffs or differences between them (aside from looks)?

Have you had a chance to test play any of these? Take your teacher or a more experienced player with you and hear how they sound, see which you like best. You can't know the feel until you give them a try.

jv nc
Apr-08-2013, 8:54pm
You can get the Eastman 515 for basically the same $$ as the other two.

sholmes
Apr-08-2013, 9:04pm
Having now seen the previous thread you started in, I can personally vouch for Janet Davis Music and The Music Emporium knowing the owners of both. TME is maybe 20 minutes from me.

fernmando
Apr-08-2013, 9:56pm
KM900 is the only player in this game.

Roscoe Morgan
www.roscoemorgan.com

chip
Apr-08-2013, 10:29pm
The one that sounds the best...

almeriastrings
Apr-08-2013, 10:46pm
If you want a 'traditional' sounding bluegrass mandolin... the KM-900 hands down.

If you play Celtic, folk, or something else, the Breedlove's have their own sound that works well.

Not a huge fan of the Eastman sound, though the more recent ones seem to have improved quite a bit.

Willie Poole
Apr-13-2013, 9:39am
KM-900 hands down....I own one and it beats just about any mandolin out there in their price range and many that cost 2-3 times as much....Just a great instrument that one day will be a collectors item I predidct...

Willie