PDA

View Full Version : Average price of high quality Mando

Rin
Apr-07-2013, 8:57pm
Hello, I am wondering what the average price of a professional quality mandolin goes for? I'm a fiddle player that recently picked up mandolin, I wondered how fiddle cost compares to mandolin cost in the quality arena.
Thanks!

Marty Jacobson
Apr-07-2013, 9:06pm
If you're coming from the fiddle world, you will be pleasantly surprised! Welcome to the forum...
Unfortunately, unlike fiddles, very few of us are content with just one mandolin. There are things to like about every mandolin on the market right now.
Is a $49 Rogue a "quality mandolin"? Well... for the price (about the cost of a set of violin strings!), it's pretty remarkable. Everything between the $49 Rogue and a $350 entry level carved top is pretty much the same (to my mind). Then you have all the imported carved tops. They are all pretty similar until you get into the $1000 range. Once you get there, there are some really cool options available, including plenty of used US-made instruments. A bit above that, you can start to find small-shop made instruments. There are truly excellent mandolins to be had for under $2000 if you keep your eyes open.

OldGus
Apr-07-2013, 9:21pm
Mandolin ranging $379-$300,000, averaging $3500. Fiddle is even more sporadic, you figure it out then tell me.

multidon
Apr-07-2013, 9:33pm
Rin welcome to the forum! You would get much better response if you posted this in the General or looking for Information on mandolins section. This section is for posting pictures of mandolins. Perhaps you could ask a moderator to move it for you. There are a lot of similarities price point wise between the violin and mandolin worlds. Seems like in both worlds 2000 dollars is the starting point for high quality. Although just like the violin world China is a game changer. You can get amazingly good mandolins made in China for 300-1000. _

f5loar
Apr-08-2013, 12:52am
Mandolin ranging $379-$300,000, averaging $3500. Fiddle is even more sporadic, you figure it out then tell me. Especially when you average that Strad cost to it!
If I were you and want a really quality mandolin to start out with, perform with and likely keep the rest of your life (unless you come down with a bad case of the MAS) then look no further than a Kentucky 900 (A model) or a Kentucky 1500 (F model). You can pay more but you won't get any better.

JeffD
Apr-08-2013, 12:57am
My experience is that, roughly speaking, fiddles cost about twice what a mandolin of comparable quality costs. Roughly speaking, there are many exceptions.

Rin
Apr-08-2013, 5:22pm
Thanks everyone! That helps a lot. I bought a bitterroot weber mandolin a few weeks ago and was wondering how it compares to what else is out there, sounds like I got a good one! I truly love it, been playing obsessively for about three weeks. This forum has been a truly exceptional place for information.:mandosmiley:

Londy
Apr-08-2013, 8:05pm
Congrats on the Weber! I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Markus
Apr-08-2013, 8:30pm
If you ended up with a Weber, you have a fine playing mandolin that I would probably never look to replace.

A second mandolin, maybe ... or third ...

Dave Hanson
Apr-09-2013, 2:22am
I have 2 Bitteroots, both from TAMCO in Brighton UK, both superb mandolins.

Dave H

John McCoy
Apr-09-2013, 6:38pm
If you ended up with a Weber, you have a fine playing mandolin that I would probably never look to replace.

A second mandolin, maybe ... or third ...

Yes, replacement will never be necessary. But it will get very lonely and you'll want to keep it happy by getting it lots of friends to keep it company.
:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmile y::mandosmiley::mandosmiley::mandosmiley:

And, again, welcome to the Forum.