PDA

View Full Version : Gibson tailpiece screwholes

Mandosecond
Jan-29-2005, 7:41pm
Hello, all. I'm thinking of buying a cast tailpiece to replace the Gibson style tailpiece on an F5 mando (which is not a Gibson). #Would someone please be kind enough to tell me the exact distance between the tailpiece screwholes on a
gen-u-wine Gibson?

Reason: I'll then know if a cast tailpiece, which should fit Gibsons well (I'm not talking about the Monteleone tailpiece here), will fit my mando without drilling, which isn't going to happen, no way, no how.

I don't know if the triangle pattern on the Gibson screwholes is equilateral or isosceles, so I'm looking for either one or two numbers here. #Thank you very much.

Greenmando
Jan-29-2005, 8:10pm
Mine measures 1 1/16" between the horizontal and 29/32" down to the bottom one. All measurements center to center of screws.

But I would not hesitate to fill and redrill if they were different. You can plug with a toothpick and redrill without reducing any value.

Mandosecond
Jan-30-2005, 9:01am
Thanks, Greenmando; that helped a lot. #Mine's the same 29/32" but slightly more (about 1/64") than the 1 1/16".
Should be able to work.

I'd have no qualms whatsoever about redrilling a cheaper or even a medium priced mando, but this one's valuable enough that I want to avoid doing so.