PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 515 v. 315

jv nc
Apr-06-2013, 3:36pm
I'm going to purchase my 1st mandolin in the next few days. I've "pretty much" narrowed it down to these two (though I'm open to comparable F style models).

Can someone tell me the glaring differences between these two....and if the 515 is worth the extra $$? I've never owned a mandolin, and the info out there is a bit overwhelming.

The luthier at the shop I'm buying at told me he'd do a professional setup for me....and, I have another friend with a connection at the Eastman co. who said he'd pick me out a winner. Hence my leaning the Eastman route.

Thanks for your input.

jeff

Charles E.
Apr-06-2013, 3:55pm
The 515 will have better tuners and a better (cast) tailpiece. The 315 will have a matt (not shiny) finish, whereas the 515 will be a bit more glossy. It is great that you have someone who will help you out with the selection. That said, I own a 315 that I purchased as a backup-travel instrument because I was impressed by the tone. I upgraded the tailpiece and the bridge and plan to upgrade the tuners in the future, probably putting it close to the cost of the 515.
Good luck with your mandolin and let us know what you get.

Hobo
Apr-06-2013, 4:00pm
My Eastman 515 is a sweet sounding mandolin. It actually sounds better than my Eastman 815 and Weber Bitterroot. I don't know about the Eastman 315 -- It would be hard to go wrong with a 515 in my opinion. My 515 was purchased new and was the first 'better' mandolin I bought. I play it often and have never considered trading it for another. It's a keeper.

tablaninja
Apr-06-2013, 8:21pm
I'm extremely happy with my new 515. I was initially drawn to the 315 because i like a matte finish but in the end I chose the 515 to get the upgraded tail piece and tuners. I played several of both styles and found them both to be excellent sounding and playing instruments. I'm sure you'll be pleased with either mandolin.

DataNick
Apr-09-2013, 1:10pm
Eastman had a road show at Bufallo Bros. here in SoCal a couple of weeks ago. I was assured by one one of the staff at Buffalo Bros. that the only differences between the 315 & 515 are cosmetic; as far as the "guts" of the mandolin, they're both the same. So if you want to save $$ and don't care too much about finish, binding, etc. then the MD315 is the way to go. If possible though you should play whatever mando you plan to buy first, as the 315 might sound better than a 515 or vice-versa depending on what mando is in front of you. I've played 515s I would have never bought, but mine I wouldn't trade for all the proverbial tea in China!

DataNick
Apr-09-2013, 1:15pm
...The luthier at the shop I'm buying at told me he'd do a professional setup for me....and, I have another friend with a connection at the Eastman co. who said he'd pick me out a winner. Hence my leaning the Eastman route.
jeff

If you've got a connection at Eastman who can actually go thru stock and play different mandos before picking one out for you, by all means I would go that route! That's a no-brainer for the type of Eastman quality they're putting out these days!

jv nc
Apr-09-2013, 2:22pm
I ended up buying (just sent the check) a used (one-owner) MD515. I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm sure it'll be a great instrument for someone in my position (new to the instrument).

DataNick
Apr-09-2013, 2:50pm
I ended up buying (just sent the check) a used (one-owner) MD515. I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm sure it'll be a great instrument for someone in my position (new to the instrument).

Always better to play before pay if possible; however even if you don't like your MD515, the Eastmans hold value well, and you could turn it around for cash or trade value. Good luck with your 515! I wouldn't/won't let mine go for anything! God willing!