PDA

View Full Version : Looking for basic instruction

TheBlindBard
Apr-01-2013, 2:16am
Hello, all
I live in the Las Vegas area and am new to the mandolin. I'm looking for anybody who would be willing to show me the strings (punny, right?), of mandolin. I'm also interested in Traditional Irish music, so, I'd be willing to learn that particular method and play as well, if I get good enough. It should be known that I am also blind. If this were to happen, I would most likely have to clear it with my parents, simply for safety's sake. It would be nice if the people interested would be ok in meeting-talking to my parents as well just so they wouldn't worry.
Happy picking!

OtterJ
Apr-01-2013, 5:25pm
Bard, I hope you locate someone in Vegas who is mandolin literate. It isn't the first place I think of when I think of bluegrass (or even Irish tunes)unless it is Dolly Parton or some other Vegas style performer. I guess people don't pay good money to see a bunch of mandolin nerds. Where are the musically inclined showgirls when you need them?

TheBlindBard
Apr-01-2013, 8:21pm
To be honest, a few of my friends have been giving me tips musically. They play violo and cello respectively, but, they've given me a few things and tips to help me build finger-strength and get my fingers moving a bit easier on the fret-board. They described to me how to cut my nails a bit shorter, which I have done. The great thing about music is it's almost like a universal thing, whether it's guitar, mandolin or cello, you can get a common basis and kind of learn the basics easily enough. my friend is able to describe to me a video of how to hold-pick the mandolin, so, it works out. :)

yankees1
Apr-01-2013, 8:43pm
Check out pete@petimarpress.com and contact him as he may be able to assist you. Learning to play by ear is his specialty and he teaches by Skype so you could learn while sitting in front of your computer .

rmbrasington
Apr-19-2013, 2:17am
Wish you the best out there. It was on the cafe somewhere, practice,practice,practice. Listen as much as you can too. (Guess I should take my own advice.) you'll do well with some time. Mark in SC

yankees1
Apr-19-2013, 3:11pm
cancel post