PDA

View Full Version : Gibson F-9

Coy Wylie
Feb-24-2004, 6:45pm
I am about ready to upgrade from a MK to an American-made instrument. I don't live in an area where there are many mandolins, especially good ones to try out personally. I like f-styles and the plain-jane looks of the F-9 appeal to me. I know anything with "Gibson" on the headstock will make later resale easier. I have a lead on a good used one, but I have not pulled the trigger yet.

If you have experience with this model, what is your opinion of it. Do you think this would be a good "next-step" for me and what should I expect to pay for a good used one?

jcs271
Feb-24-2004, 7:04pm
It would be a great next step, I have seen them used for $1850-2100. All were in exc. condition. Good Luck!

Greenmando
Feb-24-2004, 8:16pm
I have a A9 and I love it, used to have the MK. I also have a Flatiron F. The F9 is a great choice. In the same price range as a Flatiron F as well, both are great Gibsons. As long as you take care of them they should hold their value if not gain.

jlb
Feb-24-2004, 9:12pm
Depending on where you live, I'd recommend finding a local luthier to build you an f-style. It is not uncommon to find a local luthier who will build you a fine sounding mandolin with a varnish finish and fully bound in your price range. Plus you will have the added pleasures of dealing with a luthier from scratch,and also of constributing to your local economy.

But you'd really want to check out the luthiers work first.

If you are heart-stricken by the Gibson name, consider an A-9, and whatever you decide, consider buying one used. I've noticed a trend of decreasing asking price for instruments lately on the used market, so now might be a good time to go used vs. new.

Dioptase
Feb-25-2004, 2:54am
I recently upgraded from a used MK firefly to an A9... and the difference is -immense-. I chose the A over the F for financial reasons, but if you have the added cash-- go for it. I really love the A9, and the sound on mine is just massive... and clean.

Local luthier is not a bad idea in the price range, if you'd consider going for an A style. I know Keith Newell in Oregon -had- some F styles in a similar price range as well... I certainly like the idea of supporting your local economy and a small business. The F mando pictured on Keith's website is a real beauty, with a similar no frills look to the F9, at a similar price.

But the A9 had the look and sound I'd have asked for in a custom instrument. It met my needs for an archtop F holed instrument, but to each his own. I'm considering having my blank fretboard inlayed with Turquoise and Lapis. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
Micah

GBG
Feb-25-2004, 9:59am
Willard, I don't know exactly where you live, but there is a builder in New Caney, TX, outside of Houston name of Roy Marsh. You can find his email address in the Builders section on MC. I've heard one of his F styles and it sounded real good.

Greenmando
Feb-25-2004, 7:56pm
The dollar is strong in Australia, King Brown makes a fine custom F. Even after duties and shipping it should be reasonable.

Willie Poole
Feb-25-2004, 8:54pm
Williard...I haven`t been on here in some time, lately I have come across three F-9`s and they are great sounding mandos, in my opinion Gibson started these to take the place of the no frills Flatiron Festival...More money for the Gibson name....I haven`t played an A-9 but I`m sure they are the same good sound that is coming from all of the Gibsons now days...The sound of a mando is what you want and not what I or any other person thinks...You might not be playing the same music as I am and therefore you might like something different...Good luck, don`t be afraid to try a lot of axes though, when the right one comes along it will knock your socks off.....Remember all of that special binding and inlays don`t make a better sounding instrument, it might help when you want to resell it though...Willie http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Bowzette
Feb-26-2004, 10:00am
I just got a used F-9 yesterday. It sounds really good even with worn out strings. with new strings the top end should sound even better. chop is great. In my opinion the tone and volume compares with much more expensive mandolins. The finish of course does not. But that is why the "9" series is a lot cheaper. If you don't want the scroll, you will save even more with an "A".

Nolan
Feb-26-2004, 10:19am
F-9 = really good mandolin. Buy used and get your money back when you're ready to buy a mandolin with more binding and dots! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

KevinM
Feb-26-2004, 7:06pm
I have played a brand new F-9, and own a Nashville Flatiron Festival F ("NFFF"). If you are looking at an F-9, without hesitation I recommend the NFFF for one reason - it is at least the equal of the F-9 and the used prices right now are comparatively low, trading significantly below $2K. The NFFF is more equivalent (again in my view) to the Gibson F-5G, which is a considerable price step up from the F-9. Your used price for the Flatiron should remain stable or increase over time, so you can trade up. And it has a fretboard extension, thin lacquer finish, fretboard inlay dots and the whole shebang.

Coy Wylie
Feb-26-2004, 10:38pm
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I had spotted a good used F9 at a reasonable price but it was snapped up before I made my mind up. I'm going to keep my eyes open for another opportunity and check out the NFFF as well. Thanks again.

Feb-27-2004, 8:55am
Willard, if a industrial finish, cheap tuners, dotless fretboard & binding that will shred your arm appeal to you.......then the F9 is your mando.......But hey, I constantly read here that "it's all about tone" & everything else is just fluff. Remember that awesome Gibson warranty is NOT transferable to the second owner.
But, Charlie & Big Joe are great about taking care of Gibson owners. It seems the "Sirens song" of the scroll leads many down the primrose path..........IMHO

mandobsessed
Feb-27-2004, 10:33am
I don't know what all the complaining about the tuners on the 9 series is about. My A9 tunes quickly and easily and stays in tune despite the thrashing I give it. What else can you ask of tuners?

Feb-27-2004, 11:13am
Look at the tuners on the Collings no frills A.....or most any other mando at the F9's pricepoint........

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 11:17am
Willard, don't let the "nay say'ers" persuade you. You get out there and play as many mandolins as you possibly can. If it's the scroll that you want, then by all means look at the F9, MK line up, and there are a few independent luthiers that build in your range. What I would do is probably look at my budget, then do some research of what is available in that range and then let the fun begin. Play as many of each brand as you possibly can and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

I just bought a used F9 3 days ago, and I'll have to tell you, it's the best value I've seen in what I look for in a mandolin. Tone, playability, and did I mention tone? That dry, woody, crisp bluegrass sound, the F9 has it. Also, I don't think I'd worry to much about the industrial finish, I actually like that look, sort of a vintage look with nice wood graining, the binding, also, no difference than other bindings, other than color, and then those damn dots. I'll tell you, old Dale must play his mandolin like a dobro or something, otherwise, those dot's on the fingerboard don't make any difference. You still have the marker dots running on the side of the fret board, so the player, that is if you're playing the mandolin in the traditional way and not like a dobro, can see and use these dots for position markers.

Jim Watts

Feb-27-2004, 11:32am
What's the matter Jim, afraid to take that Bush out of the house & picked up the F9 for a beater ....... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim, kudos for mentioning playability.....but our opinions on that sure differ as well!

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 11:35am
Actually Dale, the Sam Bush is going in for a varnish finish, and I bought the F9 to play so I wouldn't have to take the Loar out of the house while my Sam Bush is having a make over.

Jim

Ted Eschliman
Feb-27-2004, 11:47am
C'mon guys, let's cut Dale a little slack on the dot thing.
With his unique playing stance, it IS important for him to be able to see them on the fretboard while he's playing. Especially when he takes his axe to play on coffee breaks at his part time job...
ringing the bells at Notre Dame.

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 11:49am
Dale, start reading the posts better, I didn't say the Loar was actually mine, I said "the Loar", while it does belong to my uncle, I have the arduous job of keeping the damn thing played in, keeping it clean, and making sure it has nice strings on it all the time. Oh, I get to keep it home with me to ensure all these tasks are completed in a timely manner as well.

I know, a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

Jim

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 12:36pm
I've posted some pictures of my recently acquired Gibson F9 here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=13309;) for those that are interested.

Jim Watts

Feb-27-2004, 12:57pm
Hey Jim, that mauve chair really brings out the understated industrial elegance of that mando......the subtle shade of BROWN, the clean fretboard unfettered by dots or any ornamentation, it's true raw Gibson-ness......yep, that's an F9 all right!.............list price $3250

Tom C
Feb-27-2004, 1:27pm
Dale, You are cracking me up! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Keep 'um rollin'

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-27-2004, 1:45pm
Yea Dale, tell us how you really feel about the F9 http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandobsessed
Feb-27-2004, 2:02pm
Never mind the F9, I want that chair! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 2:08pm
Now that chair, it can be had for a price. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim

Walter Newton
Feb-27-2004, 2:19pm
If I'm being honest I've gotta say I'm with Dale - judging by the pics linked to above, the overall aesthetic is one of someone's first attempt at home building their own.

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 2:35pm
Walter, the pictures really don't do the mandolin justice. It might be that "mauve" #chair taking away from the contrast, but it really does look better in person. But that aside, aesthetically it is not going to satisfy those wanting or expecting a sunburst mandolin, but the thing that really surprised me was the tone. I'm not going to tell you it has the tone of the Loar, or the Sam Bush for that matter, but each is a bit different. I'll say this, for a used price of around 2K, it will be hard to beat the sound, for traditional bluegrass that is.

Jim (now sitting in that mauve chair) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Coy Wylie
Feb-27-2004, 2:43pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Feb-27-2004, 2:56pm
Willard.......what ya think'n now......?

Just keep telling yourself "it's all about tone, it's all about tone" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Coy Wylie
Feb-27-2004, 3:01pm
"I'm sooooooooo confused" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Everytime I make my mind up about something you guys help me change it. The worst part of it is, I don't have the opportunity, at least not very quickly to try out higher end mandos. I have to rely on what I read and shop on line. The problem is there are so many conflicting opinions in what I read!

Thanks though for the input.

Feb-27-2004, 3:04pm
Well, I see your in Texas.....Where in Texas are ya?

Coy Wylie
Feb-27-2004, 3:09pm
Far from you... Amarillo. However I have relatives in Van Zandt county.

JimW
Feb-27-2004, 3:21pm
Willard, every opinion you read here is just that, opinions. You really need to go out and play some mandolins. What ever is in your price range, play it, and then you can make an informed decision. I'll throw this in, I've been searching the archives and can't find it, but ole Dale there had a used F9 at one time. Actually ran it here I believe as well as on eBay. Trust me, he didn't express any of the opinions he's now expressing on the F9 when he had that one for sale.

I'm not putting anyone's mandolin down. I've stated many, many times here; I'm more about "inclusion" than "exclusion". You should try as many mandolins as you can before you purchase.

This is my last post on this particular thread, as it's not really beneficial to anyone to read the back and forth bickering that this has turned into. I'll be content to let ole Dale have the last word while I'm sitting in my mauve chair; pickin' my F9.

Jim

Feb-27-2004, 4:23pm
"but ole Dale there had a used F9 at one time. Actually ran it here I believe as well as on eBay. Trust me, he didn't express any of the opinions he's now expressing on the F9 when he had that one for sale."

Well Jim, what did you expect me to do with the dang thing, just hang it on the wall & ruminate. It was a trade in on a Rigel CT110 BTW .....So see, I did do community service by taking it in trade! They were relativly new at that time & I had never seen one in the flesh......live & learn.

You just keep searching those archives & digging around.....I'll post your Rigel picture again if you don't behave!

Your way Jim........

cutbait2
Feb-27-2004, 4:46pm
Dale, please note that these fine fellows are MK owners who have or are interested in upgrading to an american made instrument.

Feb-27-2004, 5:21pm
Cutbait, American made is only 1/2 the equation. Let's help them find the "right" American mandolin, noting that "right" is a very individual thing.

Feb-27-2004, 10:05pm
Hey all, here is what posting an opinion will get ya. This was sent by a new boardmember to one of the brands I carry today. I won't rat him out other than to say the author of this has not posted on this thread.

"I'm not sure I understand what kind of screening process your company actually does within your dealer network, but I recently started reading some messages on Mandolin Cafe and I couldn't believe my eyes when this guy, Dale Cater from Texas, seems very vocal and negative about other brands of instruments while trying to sell his line of instruments, in which he's a dealer for you. He also seems very controversial with other members of that board. I'm not sure he's the type of person I would want representing my products. I didn't know if your staff were aware of this, but this is NOT the way I would want to be represented. If you want to check his comments out, do a search on that message board with a nickname of Dale."

jessboo
Feb-27-2004, 11:31pm
Heck Dale we'll all vouch for ya. your one of the best their is. we all know that. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dioptase
Feb-27-2004, 11:56pm
Hey guys--
Haven't had a chance to compare the tone of the A9 and the F9. Anyone know how they compare? The unbound headstock on the F9 does look a little cheap, but it looks awfully nice on the A. But then again, I really enjoy that simple BROWN (dale) look.

At the price point of the F9, I'd probably buy used if I was going to buy one. In the range of a new F9, there'd be -so- many other choices and small builders to look at.

That'd be a huge investment for me. Just the used A9 was quite the sacrifice.

I still haven't heard anyone honestly criticize the tone of the 9 models, aside from dedicated MK players. Won't claim to understand the rationale in that. It is mostly about the tone. As far as the look, I love it. I won't pretend to have sampled enough mandolins to rate the playability, but it's certainly more than adequate for my needs at the moment.
Micah

Frank Russell
Feb-28-2004, 2:04pm
Sorry to stray off-topic, but Dale, that just sucks. That's the most chicken**** thing I've seen so far on this board. What a Wigglesworth thing to do to a fellow Cafe member. To the rat, I would like to say that when I was looking for an A9, and recently for an F9, I immediately PM'd Dale for his assistance. Without a negative word, he courteously started looking for one for me. If posting your opinions on this board earns such weaselly reprisals, we're all in deep trouble. Frank

Dioptase
Feb-28-2004, 3:22pm
Interesting, Frank.

When I was looking for an A9 Dale also offered assistance without a word to the negative.

Good guy, definitly doesn't deserve a rat.
Micah

Charlie Derrington
Feb-28-2004, 5:56pm
Certainly not the gentlemanly thing to do. Dale and I kid each other often, but it's all in good fun and I certainly hold him in the highest regard and have no question about his integrity or his love of the instrument.

Charlie

Coy Wylie
Feb-28-2004, 6:19pm
That stinks Dale. I don't know you like these other guys but to me you've just offered your honest opinions. I appreciate that from anyone.

bflat
Feb-28-2004, 6:36pm
Dale, its apparently fair game to take on Gibson, weber, breedlove, tacoma etc but any objective but negative opinion about a certain import and the insults start. i don't think its because they don't agree with your opinion, they want you to go away because the truth hurts their business plan.

Walter Newton
Feb-29-2004, 4:42pm
Jim, I must admit the new pictures you put up are much more flattering.

hotpick
Sep-20-2004, 10:25pm
The F9 has very thin - sharp frets. It doesn't feel good. It also has a flat finger board. You need to play it to see if you like it. It may be for you but I bet you'd perfer playing a Collings with a radiused fingerboard. It's easy to play and the sound is unbelievable!

Fred G
Sep-21-2004, 6:57am
I have a new F-9 and a new A-9, which I came by through a local dealer at a good price. They had been hanging there for a while (1 1/2 years) and I had played them quite a few times. The dealer was looking to get rid of them and I could not pass them up. I have had the A-9 for 2 months and it was great when I got it, but it just gets louder and sweeter all the time. Neither were set up well, since the local store is not very mando friendly. The A-9 got to visit Nashville with me and the factory setup made it really playable. The binding does not bother me as it does some people, I think I use my wrist more than my forearm, so it does not rub.

Dale, I was sorry to read that. I am always interested in reading your opinions, even if I don't always agree. I think if there were only one brand and style of mandolin in the world, it would be a pretty boring world.

jlb
Sep-21-2004, 7:14am
Looks like one of these went used on the classifieds for $1500...

Charlie Derrington
Sep-21-2004, 8:31am
Yup.

It took me a long time (and a lot of money) to get those "very thin-sharp" frets tooled up and manufactured. Exact replicas of the '23 style fret wire. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Goes to show you that opinion is everything. I love that size fret wire. It's great to have choices, isn't it?

Charlie

rixter
Sep-21-2004, 9:51am
"Exact replicas of the '23 style fret wire"

Hey Charlie, would that be the wire of choice to refret my '24 A with? assuming I want to maintain the same feel with the mandolin?

Rob Powell
Sep-21-2004, 10:10am
Played an F9 and an A9 in a "superstore." I knew more about them than the salesman. I actually preferred the A9 because of the way those two particular instruments were set-up. Aesthetically, I didn't have a problem with them. The workmanship was very nice on both. I thought the tone was very nice on both of them as well. Like everyone says, a nice woody chop for bluegrass. But I play a lot of styles and wanted what I considered to be a more "versatile" tone.

My individual preference is also for a lower action, bigger frets and a radiused fingerboard.

I bought a Breedlove KF from a local mom and pop shop, got what I was looking for and saved around $1100 street price over the F9 but nothing to speak of over the A9 (taking into account the hardshell case.)

I honestly thought long and hard over the A9/KF but for my personal preferences, the Breedlove won.

Now when I have all the money in the world (in my dreams):

1) F style oval hole.
2) Amber blonde.
3) Varnished and french polished.
4) Red spruce top.
5) Highly flamed, perfectly matched maple back and sides.
6) Tortoise shell binding.
7) Art deco shaped headstock.
8) Radiused ebony fingerboard.
9) Celtic inlays on the headstock, truss cover, fingerboard and around the sound hole.
10) Gold frets.
11) Ebony violin style bridge.
12) Ebony floating Monteleone/Benedetto tailpiece.
13) Gold Schallers with ebony buttons.

I don't need no stinkin' dots http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Dare to dream....

--Rob

Philip Halcomb
Sep-22-2004, 12:01am
Everyone has their own tastes in fret-wire and fingerboard setups. I started on flat fingerboards with tiny frets. I tried the radiused thing for awhile and didn't take much too it. It's all about what you're used to and what you like. I'm personally happy that Gibson chose to keep the fingerboard flat and do their best at replicating the loar-style frets. It gives their mandolins that old-time feel which I personally like. I'm just glad everyone has their own tastes, it makes the world interesting...

mandoJeremy
Sep-22-2004, 12:58am
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! #What is better? #Whatever you like! #Why is this thread upon us again (among numerous others)? #I know the answer...an enthusiastic newbie!

Lee
Sep-22-2004, 11:38am
MandoJeremy, have you upped the coffee intake or something?
I'd buy you a beer but I'm afraid to ask what kind. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoJeremy
Sep-22-2004, 1:47pm
I'll take a Guinness Stout please!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandonewbie
Oct-05-2004, 8:35am
Jeremy,

These threads show up on a regular basis for the very reason you mentioned....."Enthusiastic Newbie".....Those of us who are just beginning in the wonderful mandolin world do ask a lot of questions, which are quite possibly redundant, boring, and sometimes seem downright stupid to some of you folks.....However, we ask these questions looking for sincere answers and knowledge from those who have been playing and buying instruments for a long while.....Your patience with us would be appreciated, and rather than sarcasam, silence may be more appropriate.

Eric F.
Oct-05-2004, 9:56am
Nicely put. Now let peace reign in the valley. ...

mandonewbie
Oct-14-2004, 7:07am
Willard,

I have one in the classifieds if you haven't pulled the trigger yet.....Let me know if your interested.

Oct-14-2004, 8:53am
I have mixed feelings on this subject because of my love for Gibson mandos,but...........I bought a new F9 at the factory in Nashville about a year ago,and thought it was the cat's meow until that fateful day when I got my hands on a Weber.The Weber Gallatin was so much more alive.The whole thing resonated just by blowing on it,and this was right out of the case brand new never played.Be careful when selecting an F9 because they seem to be a fair bit inconsistent.I won't talk you out of,or into anything,but do give some others a try first.Just because it says Gibson on it doesn't automatically qualify it for instrument of the decade,as most of the others on this site will tell you.Broaden your horizons,and don't let resale value be your decision making factor.

JimW
Oct-14-2004, 9:11am
John, while everyone has their own opinion on mandolins, and you are certainly entitled to yours, I think it's appropriate to let the users here know that you are a Dealer of Weber mandolins, especially when you post a review like that that is specifically talking about a mandolin and comparing it directly to a brand that you sell in hopes of making a profit.

I'm not sure if it's a guideline on the message board or not, but I know it was sort of a gentlemen’s agreement that folks fully disclose their status as a dealer in their signature line when posting on the message board.

Jim Watts

Oct-14-2004, 10:56am
That's news to me,but regardless of what type of instruments I choose to sell I do,and will continue to call a spade a spade.If you read my response you would see that I didn't even attempt to force an opinion on him I just simply suggested that he give others a chance.Not give Webers a chance! Pay more attention to detail before judging me.you don't know me or my store.Besides, I don't believe it was you who asked for the opinions to begin with,and I don't appreciate your silly attempt to make it appear that I'm doing something wrong in my postings.What started off as an innocent story has been portrayed by you as an evil attempt to make a profit.Obviously you have entirely too much free time to sit in judgement of us all.Last time I checked God wasn't hiring.

duuuude
Oct-14-2004, 11:16am
Heh heh heh, busted! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Lee
Oct-14-2004, 11:55am
Whoa BigJohn, ya been sippin' on that double extra strong coffee? #JimW very graciously informed you, and also us thankful readers, that the gentleman's agreement here on the Cafe was that Dealers will identify themselves as such in a way of their choice. #The reason is not difficult to fathom. #In any case, please keep up with your mando reviews as all opinions are weighed and valued.
I'm looking forwards to the chance of playing an F9. I find the looks appealing, kinda like Ikea compared with Chippendale. Alas, I've found the Gibson tone to be single-use as others have noted.

JimW
Oct-14-2004, 12:11pm
Hmmm, Bigjohn, I think you said it best yourself, calling a spade a spade. Your above post seems to give credence to this analogy "calling a spade a spade". Funny how these things tend to work themselves out. Also, I think it's YOU that actually needs to re-read my post. We've all been through this before, but if you're a dealer and posting comparisions or reviews as you did above and I'll quote you:

bigjohn
I bought a new F9 at the factory in Nashville about a year ago,and thought it was the cat's meow until that fateful day when I got my hands on a Weber.The Weber Gallatin was so much more alive.The whole thing resonated just by blowing on it,and this was right out of the case brand new never played.
then it's not only appropriate but ethical to state your status as a dealer, especially of the brand you're using as a comparison model.

Jim Watts

PS: How do you know God isn't hiring, did you apply and get turned down for the job?

Oct-14-2004, 12:21pm
My experience with the Weber was the deciding factor that made me become a dealer for their products.This happened before I started dealing them.I stand corrected,and now realize that your opinion is the only one that counts.All appologies.John:p

Oct-14-2004, 12:25pm
Proud dealer of Weber mandolins!If you wish to continue making a mockery of my opinion you may feel free to call me,and do so in private.I do not wish to continue wasting the other posters time on this horn blowing contest.Unlike some others........my reason for being on this forum was to try to help a fellow musician,and not to bear the brunt of someones bad day.

delsbrother
Oct-14-2004, 12:41pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

mandonewbie
Oct-14-2004, 2:45pm
And I am just a down on his luck...poor old working stiff who needs to unload a F9 to pay some bills.....Thanks for all you help with that BigJohn

duuuude
Oct-14-2004, 3:35pm
Hang in the mandonewbie, it'll sell just fine. I've played both as well and while I found the Weber to be a fine instrument, to my ear the one I played sounded like it was definitely voiced for bluegrass, whereas the Gibson had a deeper, more "involved" tone that seemed to be able to carry a variety of styles. Swing, jazz, blues all play well on my F-9, YMMV of course, just my $.02 worth.

Oct-14-2004, 3:39pm
He asked for the opinions of people with experience on that particular mandolin.Remind me not to participate next time,as I seem to have been singled out for it.Funny how people make a mountain out of a mole hill.I guess your opinion only matters if it's the same as everyone elses?

Big Joe
Oct-14-2004, 3:59pm
Hey John...not to be confused with Big Joe who has disclosed his status as an employee of Gibson OAI...the issue was not your opinion of any product, but rather your affiliation as a dealer with a related product. That does not make your opinion invalid, just suspect. I will speak my mind about what I think is good in a mandolin, but I'm not going to bash anyone else's mandolins. First, my opinion would be quickly thrown out if that were the case. Second, there are many good makers whose product is worthy of note. The product you represent is a decent mandolin. You don't need to bash anothers product to sell yours. That is the problem. I really could care less, and I appreciate you buying your F9 from us. However, Scott does require us to put a tag line on our signature stating our status as a dealer or representative. No body is bashing your for any other reason. Thank you and welcome to the Cafe.

mandoryan
Oct-14-2004, 4:17pm
Time out....Breathe.....it's okay...just mandolins..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jim simpson
Oct-14-2004, 5:03pm
bigjohn,
Another welcome to the cafe. I wanted to like the F-9 but haven't played one yet that tickled me. I do have an F5-G that it great! It has always received compliments and attention from other players. I had previously owned a Yellowstone that I was pretty happy with until the F5-G came along. The Weber and Gibsons are both good but do have their own tone. It really comes down to one's ears preference.

Oct-15-2004, 8:59am
No bashing intended!The first line of my initial post reads"I have mixed feelings on this subject because of my love for Gibson mandos,but" My experience with the Weber was MY experience,and was offered up in friendship.If I came across as a "salesman" as you have all claimed then I truly appologize,as this was never my intention.I own,and have owned many,many Gibson mandolins,and have to say that MY experience with the F9 was the exception to the rule in my book.Gibsons are generally quite fine,and drip tone like no other,or I wouldn't own them.I'm just as much a tone junkie as the next guy,and didn't mean to step on everyone's toes.Thank you for allowing me to appologize,and I wish you all the very best in your future.Proud,but dissapointed Weber dealer signing off(permanently)Take care,John

Big Joe
Oct-15-2004, 11:27am
Don't go away John. That is not what anyone wants. Your views are welcome and your input can be as valuable as anyone. It's a great forum and lots to learn. Hang in there and you will catch on soon enough.

grsnovi
Oct-15-2004, 11:54am
I'll second Joe's point: no reason to leave.

John - I read your initial post and did not think that you were "selling" anything.

It is helpful to know who has a "financial interest" in the tone of one instrument over another. Everyone has an opinion and all of our opinions are shaped by various aspects of our lives.

There is a local music store in town and everytime I walk in the front door I am presented with the latest, best sounding Breedlove (guitar, mando, whatever was new). I will always play the instrument in question while fully understanding that it is likely that margins are better on Breedloves for this (Oregon) store.

Lee
Oct-15-2004, 1:20pm
Hey Scott, could you send BigJohn a set of strings if he comes back please?

jim simpson
Oct-15-2004, 4:20pm
Lee957,
I second your suggestion to Scott! We need passionate lovers of the instrument on this board. I think the same passion gets redirected sometimes and can come accross as harsh. I hope BigJohn reconsiders.
Jim

GTison
Oct-15-2004, 4:43pm
We are gathered here today to pay tribute to big John... Who exited this domain in an untimely manner..... Cut down in his prime of opinion,....... by we who should have, or might could have.... been more polite ....or somethin. We wish we could have him back. So If you here us up there WEBMASTER SCOTT please BLESS Big-Ol-John with one of them blessed packs of strangs you got. And If you see BigJohn,.... Tell him,.... (sniffle snort) that ... ..... welovehim and we miss him. And then the old pine tree began to grow and spread it's branches..... and we will rejoice with gladness.:(

Greenmando
Oct-15-2004, 6:12pm
Did big John leave us or was he cut off?
I guess he is no longer registered.
So hard to be humble and learn the ropes in a new forum!
We may be a big dawg in our little town and want to come out playing hard when we are let out. But sometimes the rope is a little short of our dreams http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

I have no idea where I am going with this! :cool:

Greenmando
Oct-15-2004, 6:14pm
Naw! I need some strings gosh darn it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

doanepoole
Oct-15-2004, 7:02pm
You know what happens when 15 people jump down a guys throat for expressing his opinion?...THAT!

I mean, it's not like the guy said, "I used to think F-9's were OK, then I played Webers and I like them better, by the way, here's a link to my website where you can buy a Weber from me."

He just expressed his opinion.

I took a lesson from reading the last page of this thread, and I hope for the sake of this little community that some others might have, as well.

delsbrother
Oct-15-2004, 9:31pm
You know what happens when 15 people jump down a guys throat for expressing his opinion?...THAT!

No one jumped down anyone's throat. He completely overreacted (lots of that going around these days). He just got hotter and hotter until he exploded. Whatcha gonna do?

jasona
Oct-15-2004, 9:34pm
agreed.

dtb
Oct-16-2004, 6:19am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif man, you folks are children, if you think this thread went south. Ever heard of, or been over to homerecording.com? Now them folks can get darn right nasty. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

doanepoole
Oct-16-2004, 7:49am
Sorry...in retrospect, I shouldn't have jumped down anybody's throat for jumping down anybody's throat. Just trying to help keep things amicable.

jasona
Oct-16-2004, 11:57am
*jumps down doanpoole's throat for jumping down anybody's throuat for jumping down BigJohn's throat*

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif