PDA

View Full Version : New Silver Angel Distressed......Amazing!

PhilO
Mar-28-2013, 8:43am

I just received a much anticipated Distressed F from Ken Ratcliff. I had ordered one without ever holding or playing a Silver Angel, but I received so much positive feedback from present owners, I felt I could not go wrong.
It joins Weber Fern and MT2V at home and does not take a back seat to either.....in fact,
it seems to have more projection than those two at the two jams I have taken it to in the last week.....the tone and playability are also off the charts.
I will report back later when I have had more than a week to get to know her.
Top wood is European spruce, 230 year old wood for the x-bracing, and the back is Kentucky red maple.
Ken is truly a craftsman and a pleasure to do business with.

pArispAl
Mar-28-2013, 9:45am
sorry, but what does "distress" exactly mean ? Is it just looking old ? Take no offense, i'm just curious :)

jasona
Mar-28-2013, 10:46am
It is giving the artificial patina of old age. Some say this process also helps in the tonal opening process. Its a tradition that has been around in the violin world for a long time, and recently started in the mandolin arena.

Looks great Phil! Looking forward to hearing it too!

f5loar
Mar-28-2013, 1:57pm
Oh I thought it was a way to beat up your mandolin when you first get it so when you do put that first scratch/dent on it you won't feel so bad........ it will just blend in with the others!

jasona
Mar-28-2013, 2:11pm
That's certainly how I would use it!