PDA

View Full Version : MK Evolution vs Dragonfly

jimooo
Jan-28-2005, 11:23am
Hi,

Would there be any difference in sound quality/playability between the two? Is the price difference just for the extra inlays?

Newbee trying to decide?

thanks...jimo

Red Sakti
Jan-28-2005, 6:17pm
hey..well I tested out a whole loada MKs recently when I was pondering my Oval and I gotta say that to my ear there wasnt a great - er if any - difference between the F holes. I actually posted about binding last week because I was tempted by the Evolution and from the replys I got it seems that Binding is expensive, decorative and basically just protects the end grain - so I gonna stick my neck out and say that thats where the extra dollas go..I think the wood was a lil nicer on the dragonfly - and that inlays kinda fancy, although a lil garish for my taste - but to my mind you can get a lil carried away in that department. I kinda liked the Evolution, okies so the lack of binding makes it look a lil weird but I dunno, theres something about it - I reckon it needs some more experimental colours tho - sunburst?..yawn...and somehow the black just dont look as damn gothic as say the Phantom....lol

Onesound
Jan-28-2005, 7:44pm
I played an Evolution and several other MKs several months ago. Honestly, the Evolution was the best sounding of the lot. Maybe it was my imagination, but it seemed lighter. I can't imagine that the binding adds any noticable weight, so maybe its top and back were carved thinner than the others. Anyway, just my $.02.
Cheers,
Brian