PDA

View Full Version : Old Mandolin appraisal, identification

iasonas
Mar-26-2013, 5:05pm
Hello guys!
I found this old mandolin in a flea market in Berlin and it sounds really good. Unfortunately it does not have a brand tag. Only the tailpiece says Marcelli.
Could you tell me something about it?
Could you estimate its value maybe?

jasona
Mar-26-2013, 6:19pm
I can't say a word about it, but others knowledgeable about bowl backs will be along shortly. But I wanted to say nice name! :D

allenhopkins
Mar-27-2013, 12:38am
"Marcelli" tailpieces are found on a bunch of German mandolins; I have a "pocket" Holdrio with a Marcelli tailpiece.

The slotted headstock and marquetry pickguard inlays say "German made." The bowl is alternate maple and rosewood, with thin inlay strips bisecting each rib. That and the fairly elaborate pickguard would indicate to me a fairly high-grade model.

I'm less than knowledgeable about the various German makers, so let's hope someone more informed chimes in.

Jim Garber
Mar-27-2013, 8:20am
Agree that Marcelli is a common tailpiece and prob not the brand of the mandolin. It does have a pretty serious radius to the fretboard.

iasonas
Mar-29-2013, 6:58am
Any thoughts about how much it costs?

Jim Garber
Mar-29-2013, 8:24am
It is valued at a little more than you paid for it. :) Does that make you feel better?

Seriously I would not expect too much value for this mandolin. It has some Embergher features (radiused fretboard, triangular neck and slotted headstock) but is prob a decent middle-grad mandolin. Put some decent strings on it and enjoy it. You are not going to make lots of money selling it.