PDA

View Full Version : My Blue Mandolin joins my MAS

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-25-2013, 5:09pm
Well, I had a mandolin trajedy. My Fender FM100 started showing a crack in the neck joint area. I showed it to my teacher, who warned me it was going to break. "The action will get higher and higher, and then it will pop." That was a few weeks ago.
Sure enough, I went to take it out of its gig bag, and saw that the strings had no tension, and the neck had pulled off of the body. :crying:I showed it to my DH, who said Saturday, we'll see if someone can repair it.100184We brought it to a luthier at a music store (not from the store where we bought it). He took one look, and then a closer look, and said "It's done." and that gluing it would never really work since not enough of the old wood could be taken away to get a good bond. The reason for the breakage: it just dried out!
I wanted to have a similar budget mandolin, for bringing to events without worries. So, I tried several in the shop and found one that had the same bright, sweet tone as my Fender did, with a better action. It's a blue Hohner. I was skeptical about the brand, but, out of the budget mandolins, this one really had the best sound.100185

It's electried without a battery, and sounds great with the amp.
What a bummer to have to replace my first mandolin. I'll be taking better care of it! I got a cello sponge thingie that goes in the F-hole. I hope that helps!
Right away after I purchased it, we visited our friends who are in the nursing home, and I did a little concert for them. My hubby said it was the best he'd heard me play.:mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Mar-25-2013, 5:21pm
it takes courage to buy a blue mandolin ... hats off, gentlemen!

JEStanek
Mar-25-2013, 5:33pm
Welcome to the Cafe. Enjoy your new blue one and best of luck with it!

Jamie

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-25-2013, 5:49pm
it takes courage to buy a blue mandolin ... hats off, gentlemen!

Yep! That's the first thing my dear hubby pointed out. "Can you get past the blue?"
At first, I said, no, and let him hang it back on the wall.
But after trying the others in my category, I said, "Please bring that blue back over here!" and, it sounded the best of all. I didn't let go of it after that.
I'm going to weave a strap for it, too! I have plenty of blue yarn to choose from.

Bob Clark
Mar-25-2013, 5:56pm
Hi Cecily,

I think the blue looks great. Congratulations, play it with pride! I hope you get many years of pleasure from it.

Best wishes, Bob

Nevin
Mar-25-2013, 6:37pm
I like the blue. I am a little surprised they said they could not fix the old one. The picture is small but it looks like a clean break at the joint.

Mandobart
Mar-25-2013, 10:31pm
Now you can take up lutherie and do the neck repair. What have you got to lose but some time and glue?

billkilpatrick
Mar-26-2013, 3:23am
cecily - sorry if my comment sounded snide or sarcastic - that wasn't my intention. there are some finishes and colors that can almost send me into a trance - mesmerizing - and the finishes i sometimes see on mandolins, guitars, etc. can really do it. your mandolin looks beautiful and it's ... blue!!

wildpikr
Mar-26-2013, 7:04am
Soooo...do you play blues?:grin:

Steve Sorensen
Mar-26-2013, 9:13am
Love a story with a happy blue beginning!

Steve

Randi Gormley
Mar-26-2013, 9:29am
I'll bet the seniors enjoyed the blue as well as the music -- a pretty, colorful thing to look at while admiring the music!

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-26-2013, 12:58pm
cecily - sorry if my comment sounded snide or sarcastic - that wasn't my intention. there are some finishes and colors that can almost send me into a trance - mesmerizing - and the finishes i sometimes see on mandolins, guitars, etc. can really do it. your mandolin looks beautiful and it's ... blue!!

No problem at all! :-)

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-26-2013, 1:00pm
Well, I'm learning bluegrass, so why not the blues? I'm going to try the 12-bar shuffle sometime soon!
It'd be fun to do that while Hubby plays the harmonica!

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-26-2013, 1:10pm
They did enjoy both the music and the instrument. One of them was an organist for decades, and he found it amazing that I could find the notes on those tiny strings and frets - as compared to the keys of an organ!
The other has a great affinity for color (last time we visted, he commented on my plum-colored turtleneck), and he was an ornate glass collector. So, I'm sure you are right!
- It has such a sweet sound, too!

houseworker
Mar-26-2013, 2:26pm
The blue looks just fine, makes a nice change from all the brown sunbursts. You liked how it plays, and that's the most important thing anyway.

Welcome!

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-26-2013, 2:58pm
The blue looks just fine, makes a nice change from all the brown sunbursts. You liked how it plays, and that's the most important thing anyway.

Welcome!

I agree, it is a nice change. I was expecting that if I had to replace the Fender, I'd get a Kentucky, based on what I'd read recently on the Cafe. I played two Kentucky's, a Signature, and a couple others, but the Hohner Blue had what I wanted!

Leigh Coates
Mar-26-2013, 4:33pm
Congratulations,... I LOVE blue instruments. At the moment I don't have one, I'll have to rectify that. :mandosmiley:

Billy Packard
Mar-26-2013, 6:31pm
Hi Cecily! I have seen very high-end arch top guitars elsewhere on the web that were very Blue, and proud of it. Also, elsewhere here on the Mando Cafe (I don't know how to link you to it..) Dave Harvey, Master Luthier at Gibson Custom Instruments comments on recently making fine Gibson mandos in, "Pelham Blue, Keary Green, Peacock Burst, and Gold Top F-5's to name a few." You are on the leading edge.
Billy

Steve-o
Mar-26-2013, 6:59pm
In the spirit of March Madness (and another Big 10 town), I'll just say "Go Blue!"

Levi
Mar-26-2013, 9:24pm
I'm so sorry for your loss. But congratulations on having a mandolin that makes a statement.

I used to have this red washburn A-style with a f-style headstock (it was available in blue as well) . I liked the finish, kind of, but hated the instrument. It really sucked.

Cecily_Mandoliner
Mar-27-2013, 1:48pm
Hi Cecily! I have seen very high-end arch top guitars elsewhere on the web that were very Blue, and proud of it. Also, elsewhere here on the Mando Cafe (I don't know how to link you to it..) Dave Harvey, Master Luthier at Gibson Custom Instruments comments on recently making fine Gibson mandos in, "Pelham Blue, Keary Green, Peacock Burst, and Gold Top F-5's to name a few." You are on the leading edge.
Billy
That sounds cool! Thanks! :-)

houseworker
Mar-27-2013, 1:57pm
Lauri Girouard made a super blue mando (http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/001724.shtml) a year or so ago.

greg_tsam
Mar-27-2013, 4:40pm
Ted E has a rather famous or infamous blue mando, doesn't he?

i.citizen
Apr-05-2013, 3:30am
Ouch! But your blue hohner is very pretty.

I like blue instruments, I have a blue Takamine eg523sc guitar which I love.

Cecily_Mandoliner
Apr-07-2013, 1:01pm
Well, I brought my Fender to the shop that holds the jam sessions. The shop was moving from the old location. We went to the new location and got the nickel tour. We met the luthier and told him about the Fender. He told us he has a fix. So it's ready for me to pick up. I'll post after I pick it up this week.

houseworker
Apr-07-2013, 2:49pm
That's good news Cecily, hopefully you'll be able to remove the RIP from your signature.

Leigh Coates
Apr-07-2013, 3:57pm
That's terrific! Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Sheryl McDonald
Apr-07-2013, 4:30pm
I once played an awesome sounding bright RED Michael Kelly mandolin. It had that great woody sound, but I couldn't get past the RED, so it stayed at the store. I congratulate you on your courageous blue choice.

Cecily_Mandoliner
Apr-09-2013, 4:38pm
That's good news Cecily, hopefully you'll be able to remove the RIP from your signature.

I hope so, too. We went there one Monday, and the fix wasn't what he'd said he do. After I got home from supper, he called and said he made the change, (no extra charge!). He said it sounded great, and even over the phone, I could hear it, and it did sound nice. I am excited!
So, I'll pick it up on Wednesday night's jam session.
:mandosmiley:

Cecily_Mandoliner
Apr-09-2013, 4:41pm
I once played an awesome sounding bright RED Michael Kelly mandolin. It had that great woody sound, but I couldn't get past the RED, so it stayed at the store. I congratulate you on your courageous blue choice.
Thanks! It is interesting how the look does affect how we feel about an instrument. Some in the shop where I picked up Blue were so BROWN and dull!

Cecily_Mandoliner
Apr-11-2013, 9:05am
I went to my jam session and picked up my mandolin. It was a bit flat so I started tuning it. Got to the E string and *Bam* the string snapped. (first time for me). I borrowed one off the wall to play.
Then, my teacher arrived and she volunteered to replace my string.
I tuned up again and tried to play. The Fender kept going flat. Hard on the ears. :-(
At the end of the session, I put Fender in the gig bag and drove home, a 10 minute drive.
I got home and pulled Fender out of the bag and it had popped again. The glue didn't hold under the pressure.
My hubby will be bringing it back to the repairer so he knows that fix doesn't work.

vwfye
Apr-12-2013, 10:53pm
I love my blue mandolin! It is a Crafter and it gets all kinds of positive comments from folks.

Cecily_Mandoliner
Apr-14-2013, 5:13am
I love my blue mandolin! It is a Crafter and it gets all kinds of positive comments from folks.

Mine seems to make people smile. I'm glad I got it.
I'm weaving a blue strap for it, too.