PDA

View Full Version : Martin backpacker quality?

Levi
Mar-23-2013, 9:21pm
There's a Martin backpacker mandolin in the classifieds, cheap, and from what I've read about them, they're pretty high quality (all solid woods). They obviously don't sound like a Martin (I'll admit I kind of like the sound), but are they built like a Martin? Does it have wonderful playability and a solid, sturdy construction? I'm thinking if it's alright it might make a good instrument to learn on, as I'm not that far into learning and I no longer have a single mandolin.

So is this a just a Martin (if they made mandolins) minus the sound and shape? All of my research tells me they suck.

John Gardinsky
Mar-23-2013, 9:43pm
They leave a lot to be desired. I'd get an entry level A model of almost any brand before one of these. Unless I had no home and lived out of my backpack...

Levi
Mar-23-2013, 9:49pm
They leave a lot to be desired. I'd get an entry level A model of almost any brand before one of these. Unless I had no home and lived out of my backpack...

I feel like a regular A style would fit in there just fine.

JEStanek
Mar-23-2013, 10:15pm
They don't suck. They are what they are, a very small bodied mandolin so it won't sound as full as a full sized mandolin. Of the two travel size mandolin's I have played I preferred the Weber Sweet Pea over the back packer. But neither has much low end sound. Both fulfill their function just fine. but, you have to know what they are built for. I wouldn't recommend either as a starter mandolin. I may even lobby for a full sized mandolin to use when travelling over these. But, if you really have tight space requirements, these are both fine options.

Jamie

Potosimando
Mar-23-2013, 10:34pm
I like my little Martin Backpacker. I use it only for backpacking, river travel, and so forth, but it sounds terrific once you are away from normal instruments for a few days...and very tough little guys. Personally I like the way they sound. Here is a little clip of two M. Backpackers from the middle of a trip down the Colorado River in 2011. My wife, a concert violinist, doesn't like me to share this video, because it was only her third day at trying out the mandolin, the first two days (evenings rather) in the tent prior to this concert...rehearsing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109663256049924917424/MandolinTest?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmLwseT1ISSHQ&feat=email#5619799879440893570

I owned a Weber Sweet Pea and a Backpacker at the same time three years ago or so, but I got rid of the Sweet Pea and bought another Martin, because I much preferred my Martin's tone. That said however, it probably has more to do with the individual instruments at this low level.

For a main instrument, forgot these little shrimps, but for something that actually fits in a backpack or about anywhere else (certainly "fits" better than any normal-sized mandolin), heck yes, get yourself a Martin Backpacker.

Levi
Mar-23-2013, 11:33pm
So as far as mandolins go, they aren't great, or even good, but when it comes to backpacking instruments, they're the bees knees?

RBMB
Mar-24-2013, 6:56am
I had a Martin backpacker guitar and it was built well. I didn't enjoy playing it because the neck was too thick for my tastes. I found one with a normal neck and was much happier. I don't remember whether the mandolin backpacker is any better. I suggest you take a close look.

JEStanek
Mar-24-2013, 1:37pm
I think they are well built but just won't sound as full as a full sized mandolin. The tough thing is, for the price ($200-250) you could get a full sized Kentucky or build a kit mandolin that would sound fuller. We've had cafe members who took their Mid Mo mandolins strapped outside their packs into high cold places. Weight isn't much of an issue. If you can keep it in a bag strapped to your pack, why not go full size? If you are constrained by size, get a back packer (or a strum stick!).

Jamie

multidon
Mar-24-2013, 2:22pm
Levi there have been numerous threads on the Martin Backpackers. You should try the forum search function. You'd be amazed at the trove of knowledge there about almost anything! My favorite comment on the backpackers came from our own Allen Hopkins. I am paraphrasing: made for those who think regular mandolins are too big and bulky! All the same parts as a real mandolin without all that pesky volume and resonance! An idea whose time will never come! A bit harsh perhaps but largely accurate. They might have a function. Maybe backpackers really do like them But there is probably a good reason they aren't made anymore.

Levi
Mar-24-2013, 3:56pm
Really all I'm asking is whether they have the build quality and playability of a instrument in that price range, or much higher.

multidon
Mar-24-2013, 4:17pm
Nothing wrong with the build quality or playability Levi. Just not a lot of sound.

Steve Williams
Mar-24-2013, 7:37pm
multidon said it very well, Levi. The Backpacker mandolins that I've played were solid as a rock and played quite well. They just did not have the tone and the volume of a standard size mandolin. As you advance in your playing, you might get frustrated trying to "force" the sound out of an instrument that was never designed to give it.

JEStanek
Mar-24-2013, 9:58pm
They are built well but for $200 - 250 I would tell you to get a well set up Kentucky KM150 or Savanna MA125. I wouldn't recommend them as first instruments.

Jamie

Levi
Mar-25-2013, 8:06pm
Alright thanks for the help.

albeham
Mar-26-2013, 6:50am
I carry a MM-30S , got it for like 180.00, hike it on the AT and use it while camping with the scouts.
It is also my backup hatchet.

AL