PDA

View Full Version : Pickup on Kentucky KM-1500

papabear075
Mar-21-2013, 8:22pm
Hello Friends,

I was wondering if any of you installed pickups on your Kentucky KM 1500 or KM 1000 and what your experience has been. I have heard positive things and horror stories about internal vs. external and so on. So I guess even if you had a pickup installed after market on any Mandolin I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Dave

jazzman13
Mar-21-2013, 9:28pm
Lots of good options out there, I think.
I personally have a Schertler DYN-M and I play in a pretty raucous bluegrass/hoedown band (think Old Crow Medicine Show).

PROS:
-Stick on, so you can transfer it to other mandolins/guitars etc
-Good signal - it runs pretty hot actually, so I've never had a problem getting enough signal through a desk or amp
-Reasonable tone without EQ (a bit mid-rangy and 'boxy' if anything)
-Can plug straight into the desk with the XLR cable
-Very reliable

CONS:
- Tone is a bit boxy and requires a bit of EQ to get it really sounding natural
- XLR plug. The cable runs straight to a male XLR plug, which makes it a bit of a pain to find a compatible DI box if you want to go down that route. I've had to use an adapter and I have no idea on the merits of converting a balanced signal to a 1/4" signal and then back to balanced again for the desk.
- Because it runs fairly hot, it does tend to be pretty live on stage and I get some feedback issues (mostly due to sound techs that want to mix the band like a rock band..ie. something is too soft, so make it louder rather than backing off on the other instruments and vocals, which are probably too loud anyway) haha sound rant over.

I'm actually in the process of a new mando build and will have a K&K twin internal installed in that. Going to run it through a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre. I figure if Thile uses that setup (along with a clip on mic I believe), it can't be all bad...

Yet another option that I have heard great reports on is the Headway mandolin pickup. I think the main drawback to this one (again based on what I've heard) is that it is a real pain to install. You will need to find a good luthier who is willing to do some routing of the bridge I think. Still, I have heard that once it is installed, this is an excellent option when paired with a good DI.

Good luck with it - let us know what you decide in the end.

TDMpicker
Mar-22-2013, 8:07am
I put a JJB twin piezo in my KM-1000 and replaced the standard ebony endpin with a 1/4" endpin jack. They have a good sound and are good quality pickups and you can test the placement first by sticking them on the external top first.

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/PPS-200.html

Pete Counter
Mar-22-2013, 8:16am
I put a K&K Twin Internal with the supplied endpin jack and I like it alot. Using a LR Baggs ParaDI and it seems to eq out very nicely.

Billy boy
Mar-22-2013, 4:51pm
I had a K&K internal pick up installed on my Kentucky KM-1000 when I bought it from the mandolin store.Never one bit of a problem.When the preacher is plugged in, you need all you can get!!!