PDA

View Full Version : Eastman or MK Mandolas?

jswag
Jan-27-2005, 9:59am
I had asked this question about MK's in another thread, I know their New, but if and when anybody plays one(eastman or MK) can we hear some comments about construction, sound/tone, etc. . I sure would like to hear something about them!!!!!
thanks!!!
Jswag

Tim
Jan-27-2005, 10:25am
They are just as good as any of the instruments costing thousands more. #They are not worth the money because they are built in Asia by people who don't understand bluegrass.

Hit the "search" button and enter either of those brands and you'll find those two opinions plus plenty more just waiting for you.

Added comments...
The point is that those are the range of opinions you'll find, not that either is correct. #Reading carefully before you post is important. #If I'd done that I wouldn't have posted since the question is about mandolas specifically, not about those brands in general. #Sorry for any confusion.

Brad Weiss
Jan-27-2005, 8:24pm
I wrote to MK directly and was told that the mandolas were just introduced over the weekend at NAMM, and won't be available through dealers until late February.

Itchin' to try one myself!

grsnovi
Jan-27-2005, 8:33pm
They are not worth the money because they are built in Asia by people who don't understand bluegrass.
I wasn't aware that music knew any global, ethnic or racial boundaries?

MK's have been around for a while. They are a relatively inexpensive mass-produced instrument. Fit and finish varies as does tone.

Eastman is a relative new comer to the mandolin market although they have been hand building violin-family instruments and archtop guitars for quite some time.

I have played a number of Eastman's locally and at Mandolin Brother's on Staten Island. They sound great! The price is great! I just do not care at all for the look of their name on the headstock...

I think it is important to vote with your ears and not with somebody else's prejudice.

reblwing
Jan-28-2005, 3:52pm
i own a michael kelly fs deluxe.bought it 3 years ago when they were direct purchase only.for $600.00 it was and still is a good mandolin.
a year later bought a schneider (portland, or. luthier), exceptional instrument. still have the mk as a backup or camping mando. have played about 6 eastmans. all were killer, form a 615 to 915 and an oval holed 804.
played the 804 against 3 or 4 mk f styles. no comparison.
the 804 was sellin for about $1100.00, the mks between 5 and 8 hundred. the eastman played, sounded, looked and felt better than any of them
i've toyed with the notion of selling the schneider and buying an eastman, but can't quite bring myself to do it.most likely will add an eastman to my collection.this year.

Red Sakti
Jan-30-2005, 2:41pm
just out of interest..when bluegrass was new wasnt it played on instruments built by people who didnt understand bluegrass...I agree with the previous posters let your ears and your musical soul lead you, not predjudice. I once got thrown out of a bluegrass jam session for daring to turn up with a gibson oval (that my friend had lent me - eeh i was soo proud) cos it didnt have the 'correct sound' so i kinda got no time for instrument facism.. ooh but i digress...er not played a mandola, I have played a MK octave tho and i thought it was killer...lol

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-30-2005, 4:07pm
I played a MK octave mandolin before Christmas. I thought is sounded great, played great, fit and finish was above average. BUT put in a room with two Gibsons, (mandocello and Bush a Collings F, and a Rigel Mandola, we found it too thin and kind of rattly, probably from playing too hard to keep up with the others. Gee it's nice to be in a band with a guy who owns a music store.

neal
Jan-30-2005, 4:42pm
Umm, I think Tim was being sarcastic as to what opinions you'd find here.

jswag
Feb-10-2005, 11:44am
Thanks for the replys, I have gotten to play a MK octave, thought it sounded pretty good,but I've been very impressed with the eastman mandolins I've played --thats why I would really like to hear /see more on the Eastman Mandola's!!!! Anybody else out there know anything about them???
Jeff

MDW
Feb-10-2005, 10:29pm
I got an email from a dealer saying the list on the Eastman mandola is going to be about $2200 and most dealers are discounting about 20% on the Eastmans which puts the likely street price at about $1760. Anticipated delivery of the first batch is May or June. The Michael Kelly Mandola is listing at $1425 with about a 30% discount at a $999 street price - supposedly arriving in mid-Feb.

EastmanGordon
Feb-11-2005, 9:40am
MDW,
your info is exactly correct in all ways. We have one mandola at present which we will be bringing with us to a number of mandotastings that we are going to be doing between now and late spring. I will post the schedule as soon as it is finalised.
Gordon

WireBoy
Feb-11-2005, 2:26pm
since there is only one eastman mandola prototype floating about, comparisons might be iffy, but how would you speculate an eastman mandola and weber mandola would compare? (the eastman projected 'street' price @$1700 and weber hyalite list @$1800 are close)