PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie needing help

bigbendhiker
Mar-20-2013, 12:48pm
I have decided that I want to learn to play the mandolin. I am starting from basically ground zero. I have been reading the Mandolin Cafe for the past couple of weeks for information. I like Bluegrass and classic rock mostly. I have visited some of the sponsors web sites multiple times. I am looking at an A-style.

The following mandolins are the ones that I am considering;

Kentucky KM161 or KM162
Michael Kelly MK-AS-STB
Kentucky KM171 (not sure if I want the oval or if it matters much)

or if I stretch it a little;

Kentucky KM254 (like the color)
Eastman MD305 (love the looks, but it seems to be in short supply)

Any thoughts on which ones to steer towards or steer clear of?
Any others I should consider?
And I know color may not be a reason to select a beginner's mandolin, but I haven't yet acquired a taste for the sunburst with the more yellow color.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I will buy from one of the companies that provide full setup.

multidon
Mar-20-2013, 2:50pm
Although technically you can play any type of music on anything, oval holes have a distinctive tone quality that is not as suited for bluegrass so if you like bluegrass stick to f holes. They deliver more "punch" in acoustic mixes. Of the instruments you are thinking about i would recommend the Eastman. Why do you think they are in short supply? They are in high demand because they are well regarded. The Kentucky models are nice too but come out of more of a factory environment while Eastman utilizes more of a European model workshop with lots of hand work in the carving of the top and bottom plates. If you appreciate handwork you will like the Eastman. The finish isn't perfect on those budget models but the rustic look is part of the charm! Good luck and let us know what you choose.

FWIW, even though the Mandolin Store is out of stock on 305's, their Web site says they are expecting more stock on March 22. NFI.

bigbendhiker
Mar-22-2013, 1:07pm
Ok, so I ordered the Eastman MD305 yesterday from Elderly. They had them in stock and it shows to have shipped. Now I just have to wait. What would be a recommendation for a first beginner's book?

multidon
Mar-22-2013, 1:51pm
I like the Hal Leonard Mandolin Method. Others here have endorsed Mandolin for Dummies (don't let the title put you off) or Mel Bay's The Complete Mandolinist. You say you are starting from ground zero. I recommend learning how to read music at the same time you are learning technique. The Hal Leonard does that. It includes a variety of styles too. Old Time, Celtic, Classical, Bluegrass. A good variety. I understand Mandolin for Dummies has a variety of styles also. Good luck!

Randi Gormley
Mar-23-2013, 8:36pm
It's a good idea to check out the Mike Marshall video where he shows you how to hold the instrument and correct posture and pick position if you're going to start out on your own (there's bound to be a link around here somewhere). If you have the option, it's not a bad idea to see if you can get some one-on-one instruction from a mandolin player who knows what style you want to play, too. And listen to lots of music. It'll keep your enthusiasm fresh!

Jim
Mar-23-2013, 10:35pm
Welcome to the cafe and Congrats on your new mandolin purchase. "Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus" seems a good book to begin with and it's inexpensive on Amazon. Lots of great Youtube instruction available too. Have fun with that new Eastman.

vegas
Mar-24-2013, 10:06am
Welcome to the cafe and Congrats on your new mandolin purchase. "Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus" seems a good book to begin with and it's inexpensive on Amazon. Lots of great Youtube instruction available too. Have fun with that new Eastman.

Welcome! Hope you have as much fun as the rest of us and will soon be teaching us new techniques. ;)

Youtube is a FANTASTIC technological advance for anybody wanting to learn anything. I even know someone who has advanced her learning of calculus from free Youtube lessons. I only wish it had been available back when I was learning guitar.

Steve Sorensen
Mar-24-2013, 10:56am
If you can find a good local teacher to take lessons from, nothing gets you rolling faster in the right directions than the first basic lessons on holding the pick, picking technique and how to properly fret. Books can't see you or be gently critical as you start creating your early playing habits.

From the digital angle, Mike Marshall's gently warm and kind style online and on DVDs is the closest I've seen to that ideal of expert, patient, and clear on the basics you need to pick the path ahead.

Steve

Rob Meldrum
Mar-24-2013, 2:06pm
Ted Eschliman's Getting Into Jazz mandolin has fantastic exercises for learning scales and then improvising anywhere on the fretboard. If I had started with that as my first book when I was twelve years old I would be a significantly better player of stringed instruments than I am today. Why is it that (motivated) early teenagers can focus for such long periods of time on the basics, learn them, and then progress so rapidly? *sigh*

Rob

bigbendhiker
Mar-24-2013, 8:08pm
Thanks for all of the good advice and the words of encouragement. It's much appreciated. I wouldn't have thought of the "Getting Into Jazz Mandolin" book, but I'll have to look into that as well as the others. Sadly I'm on the far north side of my teenage years. Oh well better late than never.

And Steve, I made the "mistake" of visiting your website the other day. ;) You have some incredibly fine instruments. The Pacifica mandolin is one unique and gorgeous creation. It's pure eye candy. I suspect it sounds as sweet as it looks. Great looking work!

According to Fedex my Eastman should arrive on Wednesday. Can't wait.:grin:

Steve Williams
Mar-24-2013, 9:21pm
Good choice on your first mandolin, and good choice on your vendor. I have bought a number of instruments from Elderly through the years, and every single one came with a perfect setup and ready to play. You've done your homework and it will pay off. Get some of the learning tools that have been suggested above...and have fun! :mandosmiley: