PDA

View Full Version : My First/Only Mandolin (Only for now)

BeginnerMandolinistTyler
Mar-20-2013, 8:38am
I figured I should show you guys my mandolin. Having been a percussionist ( marching snare, marching bass drum, drumset, marimba, timpani, triangle, tambourine, xylophone and pretty much any other instrument you can think of involving percussion except for some of the more exotic African and Latin instruments) for 9 years now and have been "playing" guitar for 10. I recently got into Punch Brothers (My all time favorite group at the moment) which lead to my new found love for bluegrass and everyone one associated with it.
I used some graduation money I got from my GREAT Aunt in Colorado to buy this! I just recently got the bridge placement to be as correct as it will ever be and now I am one happy camper. I plan to save up, once I graduate college and possibly grad. school, to buy myself either a Gibson or Weber mandolin and possible a mandocello.
And sorry for the miniature essay of my musical background....I have a really bad tendency to type excessively.

JeffD
Mar-20-2013, 8:46am
Your percussion background will help you a lot, as much as your guitar background. I often wish I had more percussion experience, so that timing would come more naturally to me. I even bought an dumbek to practice on.

Suburbia56
Mar-20-2013, 2:33pm
I have the same mandolin...it was a fight to play but I have extensively broken it in and it has gotten easier to play and also sounds way better than it did when I first got it. Take it to get set up! Talk to them about the nut, mine was a little high which made the E and A strings like razor blades on the first fret (I now have the best calluses ever) I had to shave mine down a bit and set the bridge back because my intonation was very flat. But anyways, best of luck!

JEStanek
Mar-20-2013, 3:13pm
Welcome to the Cafe. If you haven't had it set up by a local shop (or well done when purchased), it will be worth your wihile to have it done. Enjoy your new mandolin!

Jamie

Hazelnut
Mar-20-2013, 11:10pm
Looks really lovely. If it sounds good and plays well, hang on to it!