PDA

View Full Version : Help with mandolin brand/history (pic)

Mikomiko
Mar-19-2013, 1:36pm
Hello!

Noobie here asking what might this brand be?
Just bought it for like 10 bucks but can't find any info about it so I turned to the pro people! Thanks in advance :)99855

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2013, 1:40pm
Post a clearer photo of the label and some other pics of the mandolin. Is it Chinese?Japanese? Korean? Can your read what the label says or translate it?

Mikomiko
Mar-19-2013, 1:56pm
I can take more highres pics tomorrow with better cam when I get my hands on that thing but here is one more pic that I took, dont know if it helps :) and wow! thanks for the quick reply Jim! Awesome :)

mrmando
Mar-19-2013, 2:19pm
Believe this is from somewhere in the Soviet Union. If you can get a high-res shot of the label, we have folks who can read Russian and tell you what it says.

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2013, 2:20pm
OK. I got it. it is from Russia. Very similar one is pictured here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?64703-Need-Help-with-Old-Russian(-)-Mandolin). I can read some cyrillic characters and that one in that other thread was made in Leningrad.

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2013, 2:21pm
Great minds run in the same gutter, Martin! The back gave it away to me.

Mikomiko
Mar-19-2013, 2:24pm
Yeah awesome guys! This is really cool! I'll post you high res asap :) Thanks a ton, both of you! Electric guitar player here but slowly gaining interest in mandolins and so glad I found this forum! I have one quite old fender too that plays quite nicely :)

Thanks Jim and mrmando!

Jim Garber
Mar-19-2013, 2:39pm
Mikomiko: you have vintage Fender mandolin (known by some as the Mandocaster?) Martin is the crown prince of electric mandolins and runs an excellent site (http://emando.com) about them.

mrmando
Mar-19-2013, 5:08pm
crown prince of electric mandolins
Thanks, Jim. That's going on my business card.

Jim Garber
Mar-20-2013, 9:11am
No problem, Martin. One of these days I hope we will meet. Maybe in Seattle -- we can have a cup of coffee. Do you know of any place there that serves coffee?