PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Mandolin book/cds

nupicker
Jan-27-2005, 6:27am
Anyone using this?

SternART
Jan-27-2005, 9:07am
Yep. Lotsa brains in there.......starts with Monroe style blues & gets you thinkin' about chords like E flat Major 7th

nupicker
Jan-27-2005, 1:02pm
sternart,
what did you think about the presentation? Does he present it in a way that teaches you how to come up with your own musical ideas ? Does he give equal attention to rhythm as well as lead? Sorry for all the questions ? I just want to know if its a book that teaches you songs or gives you the information to make your own songs?

SternART
Jan-27-2005, 1:22pm
Definitely not a song book, but tons of info on music.....more advanced jazzy stuff......I've kept going back to it, not something you can
consume easily.....but probably more for an intermediate player or someone wth previous musical knowledge from another instrument.

Perry
Jan-27-2005, 1:54pm
I'm a mando instructional hound. I've got them all including this one. I find that usually one or two cool licks or important concepts stay with me from each of the DVD's, books and tapes that I have.

The thing that stuck with me most from Andy's jazz course is his section on diminished licks. Very cool and finally some easy, clear direction on how to apply them (mostly over the IV chord).

I'm sure when I revisit this series I'll pick something else up as it is chock full of little tidbits of info. If you are learning a real book tune and it has let's say a suspended chord in it check Andy's book; he'll tell you waht scale to play over it.

I guess what I am trying to say is its good to have a library of this stuff for reference.

There are tons of really great jazz instructional books out there but you need to read standard notation.

cheers