PDA

View Full Version : Loar inspired cases

Rob Anderson
Jan-26-2005, 11:13pm
Here's the latest from the caseworks, an A done in lacquered tweed with a sage green, crushed velvet, Loar-esque interior. Top grain leather half-moon handle and all nickle hardware.
The under neck pocket is not installed yet and will be fitted dependent on the neck of the instrument.
Single instrument custom cases $200 for Cafe members with a donation going to the Cafe.
Feel free to call,
Rob Anderson-Dunamis Designs 920-470-2767

djweiss
Jan-26-2005, 11:58pm
Wow! That's a beautiful case...

danb
Jan-27-2005, 7:20am
Looks like that one is for a 34-string A-model? wide neck!

fatt-dad
Jan-27-2005, 7:28am
It looks like that case is missing the neck support. I'm not sure I would want the neck/headstock that mobile in the case (not to be critical). Otherwise, it looks real nice.

f-d

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-27-2005, 7:38am
Geez..read the post ..he said the neck pocket is not installed yet..for proper fitting to the instrument http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lane Pryce
Jan-27-2005, 8:04am
I like it.Post pics of an F style case. Lp

Ken Waltham
Jan-27-2005, 4:37pm
Rob; we talked about doing one based on my Loar case...
Still interested? I will need a custom mandola case for this tenor lute conversion I am working on.
Ken

fatt-dad
Jan-27-2005, 9:31pm
Oops.

f-d

Rob Anderson
Jan-28-2005, 12:00pm
Here's another shot.

jasona
Jan-28-2005, 3:40pm
Speaking of Loars and cases...I was quite surprised to see Mike Marshall using a Travelite with his Loar last week. He says that since it never leaves his side he needs nothing else.

Mandobar
Jan-28-2005, 3:43pm
i actually like my travelite.

El Rey del Mando
Jan-28-2005, 3:58pm
Rob,can I get handles like that somewhere?

John

Steven Stone
Jan-28-2005, 5:35pm
I REALLY like my travel-lite from Stew-Mac.

I once reviewed a Prodigal A-5 which came in a vintage style case. The latches on the case were very authentic and very pitiful.

To make a long story short, they failed and the mando got damaged.

IMHO vintage style mandos are good, vitage style cases aren't http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Rob Anderson
Jan-29-2005, 11:02am
Steve,
There is a whole batch of GWW "vintage style" cases out there with latch problems. Some are good, some are not.If you get one with good latches you have a really cool looking case for really cheap.There is apparently another batch that did not have enough depth for alot of mandos. These are the cases that guys are buying on E-Bay for $50-70.
My cases are made by me, one at a time, there are no latch problems. I have no quality control issues that a large factory can have.
While a "vintage style" case is not the choice for everyone, one thing is certain- the inside looks very cool! Practical? The best possible design? Those are valid questions, but I don't know how you can say flat out vintage style cases are not good.
Rob

jim simpson
Jan-29-2005, 11:35am
Rob,
I have to agree with you on this one. I guess I speak from experience after receiving the case you made for me. Mine is a double case that looks like the one Rob posted here except mine is larger to accept 2 F-mandos. Mine has held up really well. You can't believe the compliments I continue to get. I should probably keep track and pay you a royalty. Keep up the good work, Rob. I am now tempted to order one of your vintage style singles as it looks soooo cool.
Thanks again,
Jim

Rob Anderson
Jan-29-2005, 6:40pm
Does anyone know if Gibson had rectangular cases like this with their A - styles during the Loar era? I was only able to find pictures of the F's.
Rob

evanreilly
Jan-29-2005, 7:07pm
Some of the pictures I have seen of the one A-5 signed by Loar have shown it in a rectangular case; an F style case, however.

addcourt
Jan-30-2005, 9:17am
Jim or Rob: Are there photos of the double F style case available? Thanks, Mike

kudzugypsy
Jan-30-2005, 9:26am
looks great, can ya get round corners (like the 20's) instead of the square?

Rob Anderson
Jan-30-2005, 11:20am
Hello Guys,
I didn't get a chance to take pics of Jim'm double F before it went out, so you will have to contact him about that. There is a shot of a black tolex and hunter green double F at this link however.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dunamisdesigns317/my_photos

Regarding rounded corners, yes my plan is to eventually be able to offer a very close replica, but most likely through the winter the interior will be offered in my standard finger-jointed recatangular box. I'll keep you posted as to when the rounded corners and valance will be added.
Thanks,
Rob

jim simpson
Jan-30-2005, 11:36am
Mike,
I haven't sorted out the picture posting thing yet but will try to get a pic posted of mine. The configuration of the inside of mine is a little different than the one posted on Rob's site. Rob & I discussed a number of ways to place the 2 instruments and how it would leave storage space. I'm happy with the storage areas I now have. Both have lids and are very useful.

John Bertotti
Jan-30-2005, 11:41am
Hey Rob do you have a website? John

addcourt
Jan-30-2005, 5:09pm
Jim and Rob: Thanks for your replies. Rob, I'll try to call you tomorrow to see if we can work up an order. Regards, Mike

Rob Anderson
Jan-30-2005, 9:05pm
Sorry no website yet, I'm still just making due with the Yahoo photo hosting thing.
Rob

evanreilly
Jan-31-2005, 10:46am
Here is an interesting Loar-era case.....
And unique contents...

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-31-2005, 11:13am
This is kinda cool too....exceedingly rare

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-31-2005, 11:15am
arched..and too short for an F5

evanreilly
Jan-31-2005, 1:09pm
Well, that sure is an interesting rig..... I don't beleive i've ever seen one of them.
A lot better fit than the vintage shaped cases. Instruments really do ratttle around in either F-5 or F-4 shaped cases.

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-31-2005, 1:31pm
OK..I couldn't resist..I cleaned my case up some Saturday

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-31-2005, 1:32pm
This is how they are supposed to look
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-31-2005, 4:50pm
Evan, that is a vintage F-4 case. It came thru my shop about a year ago (recognize my workbench there?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif Never mind, don't answer that. It was probably so piled up you couldn't see it!) That's a 1917 or 1918 F-4 and the case is original to the mando. Just goes to prove the rectangular case was around prior to the Loar era. I went nuts over the case when the owner brought it in. The mandolin sounds great, but I'd seen plenty of F-4's before.

Dude

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2005, 5:45pm
Darryl and Lynn..Im sure that F4 case is really rare....have you guys seen very many more of those?....thats a real sweet combo.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Jan-31-2005, 9:50pm
Scotti, that's the only one I've seen. The purple lining is just like an old Martin guitar case, but the slight arch to the lid and smaller overall dimensions make it really cool. Also, no matter how you try, an F-5 will not fit in it! I sent photos of it to several folks and Max McCullough and Larry Wexer had both seen one before...but only one or two. Very rare bird for sure!

Dude

Scotti Adams
Jan-31-2005, 10:09pm
Thanks Lynn....as you..thats the only one I have seen....a real gem..thats for sure.

fatt-dad
Feb-01-2005, 7:13am
Once again - fatt-dad follows the Loars. Here is (what I just found out) my Loar-inspired mandolin case. It's made by Superior and it came with my pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-1 (also shown). It wasn't the original issue case (apparently early Flatirons used the Harptone case, now acquired by TKL). Not much else to add, just the photo. . . . .

f-d

Mando4Life
Feb-01-2005, 7:05pm
Here's one for you....somebody may recognize this one....

Mando4Life
Feb-01-2005, 7:08pm
one more....it's a keeper for sure....

Scotti Adams
Feb-01-2005, 7:09pm
Yep..I know that case..youve got a good one there....kinda wish I never got rid of it....

kudzugypsy
Feb-01-2005, 8:00pm
hey fatt-
those old superior cases are really nice. i saw a kentucky dawg once that had a superior brown gator/vintage green interior that i would have given $500 for! (maybe) way cool
i still have the original superior that came with my KM-1500, and it has been through a lot and never let me down. i wish they still made those.

hey, nice pag case, i need to take a pix of my pag in the original case. mine doesnt have the vintage hardware.