PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have first hand experience with either Iwamoto or The Wade

stevedenver
Mar-14-2013, 10:07am
in looking at these makers, and knowing how amazing top Japanese quality can be, I was wondering if anyone here had played and might comment and give compairisons to , say, a post 2000 Gibson F ? Would also like any comments on how the necks feel as sometimes i have found a certain 'feel' (sort of a funny shoulder and profile and chunkiness) to some asian made necks that i dont care for compared to US work.

Timmando
Mar-15-2013, 2:25pm
I know this is not in the class you mention, but I bought one of these last year http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Inlaid-MOP-F5-Mandolin-Solid-Maple-and-Spruce-F5-462-/160983369141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257b5b45b5 and it has a nice throaty tone with loud trebles. The body is deeper than my The Loar and that may be why it has a good throaty sound. Its a keeper for me, but my standards are not way up there. The neck on mine is a D, not too thick. I replaced the tuners, tailpiece and fretboard (with a standard dot inlay.) For the price it is worth buying one and see what you think. I bought mine for a wall hanger, put about $200 into it after hearing its potential and I play it all the time now!

Marc Berman
Mar-15-2013, 3:06pm
I know this is not in the class you mention, but I bought one of these last year http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Inlaid-MOP-F5-Mandolin-Solid-Maple-and-Spruce-F5-462-/160983369141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257b5b45b5 and it has a nice throaty tone with loud trebles. The body is deeper than my The Loar and that may be why it has a good throaty sound. Its a keeper for me, but my standards are not way up there. The neck on mine is a D, not too thick. I replaced the tuners, tailpiece and fretboard (with a standard dot inlay.) For the price it is worth buying one and see what you think. I bought mine for a wall hanger, put about $200 into it after hearing its potential and I play it all the time now!

Hi Timmando,

The makers stevedenver is asking about are at a higher level. Happy to hear that you've got a keeper. Keep on pickin :mandosmiley:

doc holiday
Mar-15-2013, 7:24pm
Steve, A few years back, Greg Boyd had an Iwamoto in his shop. It was beautifully made, but the shop at that time was packed with great sounding instruments, including a Gibson Lloyd Loar (hate having to use 3 words to describe it :() ...as a consequence it just didn't stand out to me. The japanese are renowned for great craftsmanship. Kenny Smith was toting around a guitar from Hiroshi Suda, since he doesn't fly with his old D18.... & Kenny is a very discerning player.

almeriastrings
Mar-16-2013, 1:17am
I played one (Wade F-5) a couple of years ago, owned by a visiting picker from France. Obviously, these are a very good mandolin. As to "how good" that is hard to say...... certainly "good enough", but preferences differ. The neck on the one I tried was really pretty close a current Gibson F-5 in feel. Unfortunately, I have to go by memory in terms of how it sounded, which is not really too reliable after this length of time. I remember thinking it was similar to a good KM-1000 or KM-1500 (but at around 4-5X the price). I was not so impressed I thought "wow! I have to check these out", that's for sure. Now, the first Northfield I encountered did have that effect.... I do recall one thing I did not like much, and that was the 'burst on it. It was really dark with that 'spotlight' effect around the bridge. Not too subtle. Still, no doubting they are a high quality, well-made mandolin, just not something I'd buy for myself.

allenhopkins
Mar-16-2013, 1:59am
...a Gibson Lloyd Loar (hate having to use 3 words to describe it...

I use "Lloyd Loar" to describe the original real-thing Gibson F-5 signed by LL, and just "Loar" to describe the modern Asian-made instruments labeled "The Loar."

They're Loars, but not Lloyd Loars. Saves you one word, anyway...

Timbofood
Mar-16-2013, 8:12am
The only Iwamoto I have ever played, and only for a very short time, felt "heavy" to me. Sounded fine under the owners hands but, that's about all I know about them.

Larry S Sherman
Mar-16-2013, 9:20am
I use "Lloyd Loar" to describe the original real-thing Gibson F-5 signed by LL, and just "Loar" to describe the modern Asian-made instruments labeled "The Loar."

They're Loars, but not Lloyd Loars. Saves you one word, anyway...

I don't mean to hijack, but I disagree that they are Loars. The knockoff company is called "The Loar" (http://www.theloar.com/).

IMO you need to say "I just bought a The Loar yesterday for $400."

John Reischman gets to say "I told Tony Rice that I played a Loar, and he said You have to get it."

Larry

stevedenver
Mar-16-2013, 4:46pm
Thanks to you all, as I appreciate the feedback so far, as info on these two makers is really really scarce.
I found nothing relevant on youtube either for either maker in F styles.

As mentiined, japanese craftsmanship can be extraordinary-often , imho, improving and micro reengineering small subtle things that leave things in the dust. (laugh/cringe as you might, I am a lover of single malts, and among my favorites are Japanese single malts!)

That being said, so far, the feedback is such that im not likely to take the risk for an internet purchase.
I have simply gotten to the point of ...not wanting the cost and hassle unless im reasonably certain. I am learning, that mandolins seem to ...be even more variable than accoustic guitars. Obviously we are all aware of at least a couple of texas builders that are renowned for consistency, but otherwise, ......it does seem to vary widely, especially those from nashville , for the large part.

almeriastrings
Mar-16-2013, 5:19pm
I'd have to say the current (Dave Harvey) Gibson's are astonishingly good. Just look at some recent threads on here (Fern, Goldrush, for example). As always, it is best if you play as many as possible first, but in my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to beat them right now. They are the top of their game. The Northfield's are also well worth a try (if you can find one), especially the high-end models... these can be truly impressive. The problem with both is finding them... they do not hang around long, and neither are produced in large numbers.

mandotrout777
Mar-16-2013, 5:30pm
...Obviously we are all aware of at least a couple of texas builders that are renowned for consistency, but otherwise, ......it does seem to vary widely, especially those from nashville , for the large part.

In my opinion we are a few years into an "era" when this statement isn't the gospel it once was; especially the last half of it, assuming you're referring to Gibson there.

In response to your original question, I've played one high end Iwamoto F model and I agree with almeriastrings' response. It reminded me a lot of a really good Kentucky KM-1000 I owned at the time.

I can't speak much to post 2000 but pre-David Harvey Gibsons (Master Models excluded), because I haven't played many of them. But I would buy any Gibson made since about 2008, unseen and unheard, before I would buy the Iwamoto.

doc holiday
Mar-16-2013, 6:14pm
Larry S...I'm entirely with you. AllenH.... you're paddling against the current, as common nomenclature is "The L..."for the import. It was actually tongue-in-cheek..... I dislike having to qualify the name by saying 'real' or 'honest-to gosh'.....& I have had the pleasure to hear a number of them and play a few. Greg Rich would never make it onto my Christmas card list. It may be business...but it just isn't right. I would also not buy a Wade (Ueda) or Iwamoto off the internet.

Mike Bunting
Mar-16-2013, 7:09pm
Larry S...I'm entirely with you. AllenH.... you're paddling against the current, as common nomenclature is "The L..."for the import. It was actually tongue-in-cheek..... I dislike having to qualify the name by saying 'real' or 'honest-to gosh'.....& I have had the pleasure to hear a number of them and play a few. Greg Rich would never make it onto my Christmas card list. It may be business...but it just isn't right. I would also not buy a Wade (Ueda) or Iwamoto off the internet.
I'm wit'you,m Doc. Henceforth, Loar shall refer only to the Gibson mandolins from the era of Lloyd Loar when he was the Acoustic Engineer for Gibson twixt the fall of 1922 to the spring of 1924. That other mandolin shall be referred to as TMTSNBN or the knockoff.