PDA

View Full Version : chop chord preference

sweed
Mar-14-2013, 8:28am
Howdy,

I've been playing mando for and learning alot of things my own way, such as the bluegrass chop chords. i.e. i use the four finger formation for the d, e, f, etc. chop chord, though my chord changes between a 3 finger c chord and the 4 finger d chord aren't fully up to speed, there is always a little hitch. I figure this just needed practice, but I was watching mike marshall's videos on the chop chords, and for the d chord, he just uses the c chord formation and moves it up two frets, which is certainly easier to get to.

Which do you guys use? the 4 finger or 3 finger d chord?

Alex

Eric C.
Mar-14-2013, 8:37am
I'll use the 4 finger D coming out of the G but C to D i just slide up 2 frets.

Dave Wrede
Mar-14-2013, 8:40am
Depends on the chord progression, if G to D i generally use the full 4-finger as it's quicker. If A to D i usually use the "C" shape up 2 frets and try to mute the high E strings. It really just takes practice, i still screw up once in awhile, though i've learned to cover up a bit when i do screw up.

Denny Gies
Mar-14-2013, 8:48am
I have found that using the 4 finger chords for chopping is better for me. Some folks I jam with also think it sounds better with the four finger, as opposed to the three finger, chords.

sgarrity
Mar-14-2013, 8:54am
I use 2-, 3-, and 4-finger chords for chopping. It just depends on the song and the situation. it's good to know all of your chord inversions. However, I don't use the 4-finger D chord. I've never been able to make my fingers do that one.

AlanN
Mar-14-2013, 9:44am
I think one of the goals is to minimize lateral hand movement on the neck. If you can go from G to D w/o a hand shift, all the better. Yet, sometimes there's benefit from doing a slide into a chord voicing, to get a certain sonic effect. It all depends on the thing going on at the moment and what you're shooting for.

JeffD
Mar-14-2013, 12:19pm
Depends on the chord progression, if G to D i generally use the full 4-finger as it's quicker. If A to D i usually use the "C" shape up 2 frets and try to mute the high E strings. .

Me also. It depends on what purpose the D chord has. If it is the V chord, as when playing in G, I use the four finger. If I am in A where its a IV chord I will likely use the three finger.

Playing in D it just depends.

Phil Goodson
Mar-14-2013, 5:05pm
That's why you gotta know ALL this stuff. You want to use the form that SOUNDS BEST and is the EASIEST to get to and also, looking ahead, is the form that get you to the NEXT chord.

I have found that using the 4 finger chords for chopping is better for me. Some folks I jam with also think it sounds better with the four finger, as opposed to the three finger, chords.

If your jam folks are telling you that your 4 finger chop chord sounds better than your 3 finger chord, then they're probably paying too much attention to YOU, and not enough to themselves. (unless you're really screwing up one of the chords):confused:
(Now if they are in a regular band with you and you're trying to get everything perfect for gigs, that's different.)

OldSausage
Mar-15-2013, 9:36am
Do whatever you can make sound the best. You can only figure that out by trying it, and it depends on your anatomy, skill, and the context you're playing in, and it will change over time, so never commit to any one way of doing it - experiment every time you play.

If you're chopping in a bluegrass band, no-one really wants to hear those high strings ringing out, so it doesn't matter if you hold them down or not.

Jim Broyles
Mar-15-2013, 10:20am
I hate the 4 finger D and I refuse to use it. As a V chord in G I play 245X, as a I chord, I play 745X. That doubled third with no 5th sounds horrible to me.

Phil Goodson
Mar-17-2013, 8:37pm
I hate the 4 finger D and I refuse to use it. As a V chord in G I play 245X, as a I chord, I play 745X. That doubled third with no 5th sounds horrible to me.

Each to his own. I have always hated the sound of 245x. I don't refuse to use it 'cause I might want to sometime.;)

dcoventry
Mar-17-2013, 11:10pm
so is the 4 finger D chord folks are talking about 2452? Basically a two fingered C shape barred at the second fret?

sweed
Mar-18-2013, 7:16am
so is the 4 finger D chord folks are talking about 2452? Basically a two fingered C shape barred at the second fret?

2457. but it can be tricky, because in a c chord, you will be holding down the same x245 notes but presumably with your dominant fingers (no pinky).

but i get it now, and I actually didn't think of it the way some people said here. so going from c to d, i just slide the 3finger c chord up two frets. going from g to d i switch between the four finger positions.

but what i've noticed now though, if going from c to f, i've tried to keep the three finger position but i end up sliding my fingers against the strings and you hear that awful loud scratching noise with my fingers rubbing up against the strings. atleast before when i was going from the 3 finger c chord to the 4 finger f chord, i would have to lift my fingers off the strings in transition such that you would not get that scratching noise, but it's hard to transition quickly. any ideas there? maybe a different 3 or 4 finger f chord i could play that is in closer proximity to the 3 finger c chord?

alex

AlanN
Mar-18-2013, 7:32am
F chord seems to generate more consternation than others, for some reason. It's good to realize that the 5-3-0-1 shape is just the standard G chop moved south 2 frets, so the fretted B note on the A string now becomes the open A, hence the odd-ness against the fretted other strings.

*btw, the convention is to name the chord notes low to high, for consistency*

I just as often use 5-3-0-1 as 5-7-8 as 10-7-8-(5), taking care to not let the open A string in the first voicing override the overall chordal sound.

OldSausage
Mar-18-2013, 8:57pm
When I play that low F chord I only play the bottom 2 strings because the open A string always sounds like, how can I put this delicately? I know: stone cold poopie.

You can also do 5335 or 533x if you want to hear more strings.

Mandolin-Tele
Mar-18-2013, 9:15pm
I like Sierra Hulls chop styles go to 300 on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxqXim_MhEI

Jim Broyles
Mar-24-2013, 3:45pm
The 4 finger D chop we are talking about is 7452, low to high. I do hold the 245x, again, low to high, D with my pinky. I also play the 5301 F as a chop chord all the time. BG Police who ban open strings be darned.

brent1308
Apr-04-2013, 3:40pm
Always three, but then I don't know much. From G to D, I form the chord using the first, fourth and fifth fingers and just lift the third finger out of the way.

Steve Williams
Apr-05-2013, 8:46pm
I've always went for economy of motion...get the most mileage out of where I'm at on the fretboard. Works for me...

Steve
:mandosmiley:

Charley wild
Apr-06-2013, 12:52pm
I never sound the E string when I chop any chord so I never use the "terrible" D chord. I also only use the two lower strings with the F chord however I use 53XX as often as I use 23XX. (Did I get those right?) I'll also quite often move either of those two positions up a couple of frets for a G chord depending on the situation.