PDA

View Full Version : Headway pickup, batteries and a Buchanan bouzouki...

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-10-2013, 6:24am
Hello all

I've joined the CBOM gang, picked up a buchanan yesterday. Very glad I did too... what tone... wow. Kind of without thinking and in the heat of the moment, also picked up a headway HE2 pickup which they had in store (they took loads of its shelf price).

Now this is a very newbie question, and I feel daft asking; as all my mandolins have had passive pickups which I run into a Fishman Spectrum Aura DI box onstage.

Just about to take it to the luthier to get the headway fitted, but suddenly realised that in my haste to get a pickup sorted, I hadn't accounted for how on earth I'd easily get at the battery when required. The zouk has a pretty small soundhole.... don't really fancy taking all the strings off to replace it in the heat of moment.

Should I consider an alternative pickup even though I'm loathe to not have a headway? Or am I not thinking straight (this is very likely!!). Also, how long on average does the battery last if you use a typical duracell type?

Sorry feel like a right idiot, but hope you can assist :)

Cheers
Rob

bodatcha
Mar-10-2013, 7:17am
I've got a Headway pickup fitted in my Buchanan OM and the sound is really good, with or without a preamp. The battery lasts for ages (and we gig most weekends)...I think I change it about twice a year (I use duracell)...never had it flake on me at a gig. The battery sits in a velcro pouch fitted just in front of the soundhole against the back of the heel. I can change battery just by letting the tension right off the strings.

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-10-2013, 8:21am
Hi, thank you for that.. logical really. good to hear that it works so well! Cheers

Rob

bodatcha
Mar-10-2013, 8:35am
You are welcome....hope you enjoy your zouk...

Andrew

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-10-2013, 8:41am
You are welcome....hope you enjoy your zouk...

Andrew

oh yes. oh yes indeed. Can't get enough of it... :) thanks!

AP8221
Mar-10-2013, 9:47am
Don't think I've changed the battery in the Headway in my guitar in the two and a bit years I've had it, which has included a fair amount of gigs.

Lord of the Badgers
Mar-15-2013, 3:15pm
a quick update... got it back today, no affiliation, but the ever excellent Tom Waghorn did his usual thoroughly professional job on my zouk, putting the pickup in and tweaking the action (it was too low).

Sounds ... a-mazing :) Very happy Badger. Cheers all

luthierseye
Apr-19-2013, 4:00pm
Just for what it's worth at this late date, I never worry about batteries because I use a passive pick-up and run it through a LR Baggs PADI box for a really great sound. You might want to consider that in the future.

Lord of the Badgers
Apr-20-2013, 4:49am
Just for what it's worth at this late date, I never worry about batteries because I use a passive pick-up and run it through a LR Baggs PADI box for a really great sound. You might want to consider that in the future.

that's actually how both the davidson & breedlove mandolins are set up - although I use a Fishman Aura pedal. For the variety of gigs we get in terms of PA it's invaluable - almost set-and-forget (though for the davidson (ashworth pickup) I do pop up the treble, and turn it all the way to the left for the breedlove). Our regular sound guy loves the sound of that setup.
Not tried the zouk thru it, but I find the headway sounds pretty good with on-stage sound. Next gig I need to get out front to listen to it a bit I think then I'll have a better understanding of the sound.