PDA

View Full Version : Kay Mandolin

beesizemore
Mar-03-2013, 12:59pm
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Kay mandolins. My in-laws sent me one a few days ago because they know I've been interested in learning to play, but I'd like to learn a little more about them. I'm not sure how old it is, I can't find out online, inside the soun hole is N-6... It's an A style, I think, and has quite a bit of cosmetic damage as they bought it at an estate sale. Anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated :). Thanks in advance.

allenhopkins
Mar-03-2013, 1:18pm
Pictures would help -- a lot. There are a bunch of on-line resources, more about Kay guitars than mandolins, but the Kay website isn't all that helpful, presenting mainly a bunch of links to other websites where research may be possible.

Kay made many mandolins, almost all lower-priced models. The King of Kays website (http://kingofkays.com/kay-history/) is mostly guitar-oriented, but probably has the best historical info, apparently including links to catalog pages.

beesizemore
Mar-03-2013, 11:44pm
How do I upload a photo? I'm new to the forum...

Pete Jenner
Mar-04-2013, 12:36pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

NM Ned
Jan-24-2014, 4:28pm
Hi there Mando Gurus:
New here, and I don't know too much.
I bought an A-style mandolin in 1979 in a pawnshop in San Jose. It cost all of $50 and I think it was new. There is no writing on the headstock, but it says Kay on the tailpiece.
Do you think that this is a Kay, or did somebody just use a Kay tailpiece on a generic instrument.
Thanks-Ned

pfox14
Jan-25-2014, 7:37am
Kay wasn't exactly known for the highest quality instruments. Usually they were made out of plywood with cheap hardware. Could be a good beginner mandolin assuming it plays all right.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-25-2014, 10:55am
Hi there Mando Gurus:
New here, and I don't know too much.
I bought an A-style mandolin in 1979 in a pawnshop in San Jose. It cost all of $50 and I think it was new. There is no writing on the headstock, but it says Kay on the tailpiece.
Do you think that this is a Kay, or did somebody just use a Kay tailpiece on a generic instrument.
Thanks-Ned

The Kay models with the name engraved on the tailpiece were imported in the 70's and 80's from Japan and Korea. It's probably one of these (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?79118-Key-Brand-Info) generic models that were imported under dozens of brand names. There was no connection between these imported instruments and the American made mandolins. The imported models were not nearly what the American models were. Kay was an early adopter of laminated sides and backs and they sold it as a feature. Contrary to what Mr. Fox says the tailpieces and tuners were the same as those used on many Martin and Gibson mandolins of the era. Kluson tuners and Waverly tailpieces were the norm and are the source for many replacements for more expensive model mandolins.

NM Ned
Jan-25-2014, 11:21am
Thanks Mike. You rock.
Ned