PDA

View Full Version : When did Gibson start using laminates in mandos?

Billsdubious
Mar-02-2013, 11:37am
I've taken an interest in a late-40's Gibson A1 (f-holes) which is for sale at a very reasonable-seeming $900 or so. The owner mentioned that he thought Gibson had started using laminated wood for sides and/or back at this point. Examining it, we couldn't tell by comparing the inside and outside grain...I was surprised that anyone, let alone Gibson, might have been using plywood this early. Anyone know the story? It sounds great--quite like my current Eastman MD505, maybe a bit less broad bass tones but crisp with lots of sould-- and I would never have suspected it wasn't all solid.

Bill

allenhopkins
Mar-02-2013, 12:54pm
The A-40 may be unique among Gibson mandolins in having laminated mahogany sides and back. It was their least expensive mandolin when they made it from the late '40's until around 1970. Still a nice instrument, as you're finding out.

John Kinn
Mar-02-2013, 1:57pm
I traded my 2003 A9 and kept my 1949 A40. To me it just sounded better. Most of sound is in the top.

mandroid
Mar-02-2013, 11:31pm
For all I know, Gibson's A40 could have solid mahogany sides ,
maybe they steam into shape better, [IDK]
since only the back's edges are seen.. I used to own one , played it for 15 or so years,
then I got an Older A-0.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-03-2013, 7:58am
I was surprised that anyone, let alone Gibson, might have been using plywood this early.

Here's (http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Museum/Guitar/Washburn/LHGoldLeaf/lhgold.html) a high-end 1925 Washburn guitar with laminated sides, not for cost but for strength. Kay was selling their laminated instruments and using it as a selling feature in the early 30's. Keep in mind this "plywood" isn't like the modern stuff. Gibson like every other company was probably searching for ways to cover a broad group of price points. They also got into steaming arched backs as opposed to carving them. They were doing that by the mid 30's as well. The lesser builders had already been doing that well before Gibson tried it.

Billsdubious
Mar-03-2013, 9:14am
Thanks for the info. There seems to be an assumption that it's an A40--but the instrument is described, by a knowledgable dealer, as an A1 (and I thought I saw that on the label but wouldn't swear to it). Were they even making A1's by 1949?