PDA

View Full Version : BG Pups

afhusband
Feb-28-2013, 10:31am
Hadn't seen anything on here about these stick on pickups, & while I'm sill one to take a chance (esp. on US made goods) I bought one for my backup mandolin. I've tried it in a few configurations & must say I absolutely love this pickup!
With time & care put in to listening & placing the P-up where it "needs" to be, you can really get a wonderfully natural tone. From straight in to an acoustic amp, or ran through a preamp, it's just really nice!
No angle here at all. Just spreading the good word about the good sound!

*My only negative comment is that it is rather large. Only negative on the looks aspect though. I have typically found it sounds the best behind the bridge, & under the strings, so it's well out of the way.

Any other users/opinions?

mandroid
Feb-28-2013, 1:17pm
oh, its not about dogs?

I have 1 Schertler Dyn M, I use when ever I need the amplification ,
and have used it (example) on my '22 varnished A4 without leaving a Mark.
mandolin US, Pickup CH. [Swiss]

Toni Schula
Mar-04-2013, 1:48pm
Does CH give you more gain before feedback than DK?

I mean Shertler Dyn M versus DPA 4099V clip on mic from Denmark? Or BG Pubs versus DPA?

My drummer wants me to get a PU because he wants to play loud. I want him to play softer because I want to stick to the DPA.

greg_tsam
Mar-04-2013, 9:21pm
Are you talking about piezo pups in general. I have the K&K Mando Twin installed internally and like it. You can't tell it's there until I stick a cord into the endpin slot.

afhusband
Mar-04-2013, 9:55pm
Trying not to have another pickups discussion! Just giving my opinion of the BG Pups mandolin pickup.
I too use the K&K Mando Twin on my main mandolin, BRW #33, absolutely love it! Can't say enough about that thing!

But the BG Pups pickup is a great pickup to slap on any mandolin. Or at least I was thoroughly impressed by the sound replication.

fernmando
Mar-04-2013, 11:45pm
I have a BG pup, use it and LOVE it! Strangely enough, when I leave it on acoustically, it changes the tone of my Gibson to a bit more "log-like" Mike Compton sound. Mids are scooped, and it gives me two mandos for one. The pickup sounds curiously good for the price, through my Fender Vibro Champ XD's "acoustic" setting.

Roscoe Morgan

shortymack
Mar-05-2013, 12:37am
Brian sent me one to try out when he was developing them which was very cool of him. Although I only had a couple of chances to do so, it really sounded great. It also worked real well on my dreads. Great little stick on pickup.

Bryan Gunsher BG Pups
Mar-07-2013, 11:14am
Thanks for all the positive comments on my pickup, I appreciate it.
If I can answer any questions or help you guys out with electronics or pickups just let me know.
Thanks,
Bryan Gunsher
BG Pups
www.bg-pups.com

Pete Jenner
Mar-07-2013, 11:25am
What sort of pre-amp is the mandolin p/up best plugged into Bryan?

afhusband
Mar-07-2013, 11:31am
Bryan, I didn't even know you were on the Cafe!
Great product you have!

I use mine with a LR Baggs PADI. I have used a couple others, & all sounded great.

Bryan Gunsher BG Pups
Mar-07-2013, 11:43am
What sort of pre-amp is the mandolin p/up best plugged into Bryan?
I use a Fishman loud box mini when I play out. Any quality preamp would be great. Some players are just plugging them straight into guitar amps also in getting great tones.

Bryan, I didn't even know you were on the Cafe!
Great product you have!

I use mine with a LR Baggs PADI. I have used a couple others, & all sounded great.
Thanks I drop in here every once in a while when I have the time.