PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day weekend in Maryland

Walt Kuhlman
Feb-25-2013, 6:56pm
After following several threads, regarding people you would like to meet, and a mandolin get together/convention, I proceeded to lay some ground work. Basically I spoke with the Mayor of my small home town, and the local Grange Hall about this, they are all in favor! I thought the first step would be a Facebook page where interested parties could join and keep up with current news.

Please visit us here: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInNewMarket

There is a link to the town page in the about section

Thank you and let's have a great time!

Walt

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-25-2013, 6:58pm
Looks interesting Walt.

fatt-dad
Feb-25-2013, 7:03pm
It's only for builders?

f-d

Walt Kuhlman
Feb-25-2013, 8:00pm
Not at all, I gave a little description in the 'about section', open to everyone!

Vernon Hughes
Feb-25-2013, 10:37pm
I'd be interested,could be an informative time..Gave it a like on facebook.

albeham
Feb-27-2013, 8:47am
WOW cool. Something else going on in MD!!!

AL

Thanks for the work on this.

AlanN
Feb-27-2013, 8:53am
And to work in its favor, Labor Day weekend is the same time as the Brandywine BG festival (in Woodstown, NJ, way south), used to be the Delaware BG festival. So, you may have some wandering mando souls in that corridor at that time already.

Walt Kuhlman
Feb-28-2013, 10:59pm
It's beginning to look like Matt Flinner will be coming this way to provide us with a couple workshops.

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-01-2013, 12:34am
What's the Hotel scene like? How many? How big?

albeham
Mar-01-2013, 7:36am
That would be sweet!!

Do a Google on New Market, a lot close by.

AL

MikeEdgerton
Mar-01-2013, 8:50am
And to work in its favor, Labor Day weekend is the same time as the Brandywine BG festival (in Woodstown, NJ, way south), used to be the Delaware BG festival. So, you may have some wandering mando souls in that corridor at that time already.

I'm not sure that being on the same weekend as Woodstown works in it's favor Alan. It might hold back more than it brings in unfortunately.

multidon
Mar-01-2013, 3:37pm
I'm not sure that being on the same weekend as Woodstown works in it's favor Alan. It might hold back more than it brings in unfortunately.

Please remember that not all mando nuts are BG fans also. With all due respect to Walt's instruments, for example, they are lovely instruments but not of much interest to BG'ers. On the other hand, quite highly thought of by players of just about all the other genres. This sounds like a nice activity and not being a BG'er I would choose this over Woodstown all day long. Let the bluegrass guys have their fun, while all of us Old Time, Celtic, Classical, Jazz, Blues, etc, etc, fans have ours! My only regret is that some of the builders might choose the BG instead, and I would want to see as many examples of their fine work as I could.

MikeEdgerton
Mar-01-2013, 3:41pm
I really do understand that but lets be honest, I'm going to guess there will be a lot of mandolin players at Woodstown, it would be nice if they didn't have to worry about making the choice.

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-01-2013, 4:23pm
This isn't a thread for whether or not it should happen - that was the other one. It's also not a thread about WHEN it should happen. It's happening and on Labor Day week-end. Make a choice.

Willie Poole
Mar-02-2013, 1:43pm
Ed. There arent any hotels/motels in New Market, about the closest is in Frederick, about 7-10 miles west on I-70...One thing that may interest some of you is that Main Street in New Market is loaded with antique shops, places for the women to look at while the men folk are playing music and looking at mandolins, that is if the women aren`t interested i mandolins...

I will be there and hope to meet some of the Cafe members.......

Eddie Sheehy
Mar-02-2013, 11:32pm
Say it ain't so... local hotels are a must...

Walt Kuhlman
Mar-03-2013, 9:18am
There are quite a few just a short drive or shuttle away. There are some who have said they are driving in and will be staying in the local hotels in the attached link. This is a small town of with a population of about 600, up from about 475 since the urban sprawl of early 2000. We are quite close to Frederick, the third largest city in MD. and rapidly growing, New Market is basically a suburb, (or rapidly becoming one). There may be a few rooms at The Founders Inn, she opens for events, I would have to speak to her.

Here is the Google Map of the local hotels: https://www.google.com/hotels/?gl=US#search;l=Frederick,+Maryland;q=lodging+in+f rederick+md;d=2013-03-10;n=1;si=82eecd16

Remember this is a big Gettysburg/Antietam battlefield/historic area, there are lots of hotels.

rgray
Mar-03-2013, 1:26pm
Sounds like this may be a prime part of my Labor Day weekend. As much as I like my mandolin, an entire weekend centered around mandolins wouldn't interest me or my wife. She perked up when I told her that New Market is billed as the "Antique Capital of Maryland". We already knew there's a good bit in the area after many trips up Rte 15 to PA. The nearby town of Frederick is stacking up as a good travel base (home of Flying Dog Brewery) with New Market and this music festival being just one of many interesting activities to do within a short drive.

Would add that about 30 minutes away are two good camping options - Cunningham Falls State Park and Catoctin Mountain Park.

albeham
Mar-04-2013, 2:41pm
Willie,

I am going... and I'll bring the family.

AL

Yep still playing...

rgray
Aug-24-2013, 4:35am
Is this still a go?

Willie Poole
Aug-24-2013, 11:45am
Just a stones throw away in a small town called Buckeystown there is a nice pub that will be offering bluegrass on Sept 1st so we can all make it a weekend....

BTW...My band is playing at the Buckeystown Pub that day...

Al, give me an e mail please....

Willie

albeham
Aug-26-2013, 6:51am
Heard this was turned off. Got the word a few months ago via Face Book.

AL

Willie Poole
Aug-28-2013, 7:06pm
Al, I hope you are referring to the New Market show and not the Buckeystown one...You should be more specific....

Willie

albeham
Aug-29-2013, 6:55am
Yes, I was talking about the New Market event.

AL

Fitzpizz
Oct-24-2013, 10:55am
Eddie, at wits end to learn what gauges and strings to put on 18" waldzither[ omitting 9th string]. Trouble is my 18"
WSL permits CGDA tuning though severely improper tension. Following forums, it is alleged that [darios] among others
are perfectly compatible w/ proposed mandola tuning- alleging that even 19" will tune up properly with 16" WSL's!!!
As you are familiar w/many mando variants [and incidently much wisdom in this regard}, could you help? Standard mandola
strings don't get it. Admittedly new to mandola, but many yrs as celloguy. Thanks

Eddie Sheehy
Oct-24-2013, 3:02pm
On a 19" scale I'd be using mandolin string gauges and CGDA tuning - maybe even DAEB. Ditto 18" scale length. For 17" scale length and 16" scale length I'd use Mandola string gauges and tune CGDA.
What's WSL?

Fitzpizz
Oct-25-2013, 10:56am
Eddie- thanks, I'll try it. Fitzpizz