PDA

View Full Version : c.1911 Vega Bowlback Mando (slightly upscale)

Jake Wildwood
Feb-24-2013, 6:08pm
I just finished this guy off this morning: click here for the blog post (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2013/02/c1911-vega-bowlback-mandolin.html).

What a nice old bowl this one is -- it's gonna get stowed in my herd for the time being. :)

The little stamps on the headstock are Brown University emblems, more than likely period ones, too. Part of me wanted to pop them off and clean it back down to the wood, but -- history is nice, too.

Jim Garber
Feb-24-2013, 8:44pm
This one appears in my undated catalog as a style 210 for your info.

Tavy
Feb-25-2013, 4:38am
Lovely Jake - actually I think I saw that one for sale and nearly bid on it, but transatlantic postage is a killer - glad it went to a good home though!

Jake Wildwood
Feb-25-2013, 8:46am
I figured a number of folks here probably would've been watching it... I almost passed it up with so many bowls in the workshop already, but pulled the trigger because I always enjoy Vegas. :)

Jim: Thanks for the info! I appreciate it much.

Jim Garber
Feb-25-2013, 9:04am
That catalog I have has some mandolins labelled style 1, 2, 3, etc. and then some called 201, 202, etc. I am really not sure what the difference is, but maybe it is a slightly less expensive range, similar to Washburns compared to American Conservatory. I can take another look at the catalog and maybe scan the pages for that one.

Bob Clark
Feb-25-2013, 8:10pm
Hey Jake,

That sure is a beauty. I usually don't find myself hankering after bowlbacks, but there's just something about this one that really appeals to me. Great find, good for you. I'm glad you left the Brown U. Stickers on it. I think they add to the mystique.

Bob

Jim Garber
Feb-26-2013, 10:45am
Vegas are among my favorites for American vintage bowlbacks. That one looks and I would bet sounds great. I love mine esp with Dogal Calace RW92b strings. Highly recommend. The sound is crystalline.

brunello97
Feb-26-2013, 10:15pm
....The sound is crystalline.

Awesome. "Crystalline".

This is going down alongside Martin's description of the sound of a nice Italian bowl back: shimmering.

Looking forward to some Dogals on my Empire. (Talk about mando-cant...I'm starting to sound like Jake! ;))

Mick

Jim Garber
Feb-27-2013, 10:36am
Mick: Don't forget Martin's description of the sound of a DeMeglio: "a party in the bowl"