PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this mandolin? Not quite f or a style, oval hole

Levi
Feb-23-2013, 6:03pm

Sorry about the mediocre image. Is this worth the $299 they're asking? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim Garber
Feb-23-2013, 8:35pm
Those are made by Regal and called reverse scroll mandolins. They were basically budget level and made of birch. Considering that, they can be fun little instruments. $299 is a bit much IMHO. If it is in perfect condition, maybe $200, tho I would prefer to pay less. Maybe that can throw in that pistol. :)

Pete Summers
Feb-23-2013, 9:04pm
Made by Regal in Chicago, probably in the '30s. I have one and they are charming with a sweet mellow tone, but not very loud. I paid around $130 with shipping on an Ebay auction a couple of years ago. The ones priced at 300 bucks don't seem to sell. I've been watching a couple on Ebay for awhile now. As Jim says, 200 in really great condition is probably more realistic.

Incidentally, if you live in an apartment with thin walls, the quietness of these little charmers is an advantage. If you plan to jam with a bluegrass band, no so much.

Also, they have a 13 inch violin scale rather than the 13-7/8 or 14 of bluegrass instruments. I like it okay, having played fiddle for awhile, but others might not.

I think there was a thread on these fairly recently. Try reverse scroll in the search function.
:)

Levi
Feb-23-2013, 9:48pm
Thanks a lot for the valuable information. So I'm thinking $200, take it or leave it.

I'm new at mandolin, and the only one I have right now is a $50 Regal A-Style that sounds absolutely dreadful. Would this make a good beginner's instrument? I'm more into classical music playing than bluegrass or anything else.

Also, they have a 13 inch violin scale rather than the 13-7/8 or 14 of bluegrass instruments. I like it okay, having played fiddle for awhile, but others might not.

Would this make it more difficult for chord formation, because of the smaller frets?

Jim
Feb-23-2013, 10:57pm
I've had 2, still have one. I don't feel the short scale, "small frets" makes them any harder to play so that aspect of beginner mandolin they'd be OK for. However they can be prone to top sinkage. I enjoy my reverse scroll because of its looks and after setup it plays well enough, but, If I were looking to spend $200 on my main player I think you can do better. I think a beginner might do better to get a low end asian instrument ( Kentucky, rover ect) which are better built than most of the reverse scrolls I've seen.

allenhopkins
Feb-24-2013, 1:20am
These Regals are 80 years old, give or take. Condition is everything. They weren't expensive instruments to begin with, though Regals, in my experience (I have a bunch of Regal instruments, no reverse scroll mandolins) are pretty sturdy. And, as pointed out above, they come up for sale at lower prices.

Having said that, you're not "betting the farm" by laying out $2-300. The Regal "reverse scrolls" are quirky and unusual enough to be enjoyable. What's wrong with them can be fixed, if you're not against spending after-market money. There's something about owning one of the more idiosyncratic products of American builders' imagination, that appeals to me -- wanta try my Regal Octofone or my Gibson Tenor Lute?

Levi
Feb-24-2013, 1:28am
Speaking of condition, it concerns me that it is kept in the display case (it has a case, which is included in the price) with the strings on. I'm not sure how tight they're kept, but it can't be good for the old neck.

Pete Summers
Feb-24-2013, 10:29am
Speaking of condition, it concerns me that it is kept in the display case (it has a case, which is included in the price) with the strings on. I'm not sure how tight they're kept, but it can't be good for the old neck.
Yeah, as pointed out above, you can probably get a better starter instrument for around 200 dollars than trying to find one of these reverse scrolls in decent enough shape that you don't need to have a lot of repairs done. They can be prone to top sinkage and neck bows as they are so old and don't have a truss rod. That can usually be fixed, but do you want to get a beginner mandolin that you then have to have work done on before you can start playing?

If it were me and I was after my first mandolin, I'd look at the low end Kentucky models or the Rovers and get it from one of the vendors on this site that do setups. The Rover RM50, if you can find it, is an all wood instrument with good sound for about $160 or so. Look at Folkmusician or Elderly, the Mandolin Store, Janet Davis, etc. for the lower priced Kentuckys and such.

These Regals are charming, as mentioned, but not very loud and they are very old. They make a great second or third instrument if you have MAS, but I'd probably look for something newer for my first mandolin. Just my opinion of course.

On the other hand, if you have some skill at setup and minor repairs, and can find one in decent shape at a reasonable price, these old reverse scrolls are unusual, nostalgic, American made and a lot of fun to play and own. They also look great on your music room wall or instrument stand.
:mandosmiley:

Levi
Feb-24-2013, 12:54pm
So this instrument isn't even as good as a $200 asian model? I'm only going for sound quality here, because it's only a matter of time before I get a better one afterwards. Would it sound better than an asian one, if it's in good condition.

And also, is it a laminate body?

Jim
Feb-24-2013, 1:11pm
They sound different than most , warm & tubby. I think they sound good though not very loud. Mine is very sensitive to humidity and gets a buzz on the lower frets sometimes that goes away at other times. Old as they are they've held up quite well. I do think a low end Kentucky or Rover is a better built instrument.

Pete Summers
Feb-24-2013, 7:15pm
So this instrument isn't even as good as a $200 asian model? I'm only going for sound quality here, because it's only a matter of time before I get a better one afterwards. Would it sound better than an asian one, if it's in good condition.

And also, is it a laminate body?

It is a solid wood (birch) front, sides and back, no laminate. As for sounding better than a 200 dollar Asian mandolin, that depends on which Asian mandolin you are talking about (and what you mean by sounding better). I don't think it sounds as good as the solid wood Rovers, at least not as loud, but probably better than the cheaper laminate Asian mandolins like Rogue or Savannah, etc. The Kentucky KM140 with solid spruce top is around 200 dollars or so, with setup from Janet Davis and other dealers. The Rover RM50 is under 200. Both probably play better and have more volume than this instrument.

But again, if you find one in excellent shape and you like the quieter tone and the look, these are good enough for most purposes. The unusual style and mojo of these old Regals is worth something to collectors, but I think as a practical matter a newer instrument with spruce top is likely to be louder, play better and less likely to have neck or top problems.

I have both a reverse scroll and had (now sold) a Rover RM50 and I would choose the Rover for its louder sound and 14 inch scale if it was going to be my only instrument. Again, though, it is whatever you want. I wouldn't pay more than $140 or $150 for one of these. This is, of course, only my opinion.

Jim
Feb-24-2013, 8:26pm
I gave $80 for one of mine and $120 for the other.