PDA

View Full Version : Pilgrim Series Celtic Dawn Vpom100 Octave Mandola – Any info?

Nebajotin pässi
Feb-20-2013, 2:00pm
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here (and with mandos), and only just looking for my first bouzouki/octave mandolin (I'm currently playing a borrowed mandolin).

The case is, an octave mandolin mentioned in the topic (Pilgrim Series Celtic Dawn Vpom100 Octave Mandola) showed up in Finnish internet forum used, but there seems to be almost no info found in the internet.

So any feedback would be appreciated –#if anyone has any experience with the instrument mentioned, or even the mandola version, I'd be grateful!

All the best,

-Juha

allenhopkins
Feb-20-2013, 4:33pm
"Pilgrim by Vintage" is what I find, and "Celtic Dawn" as a sub-group of instruments apparently designed for Celtic music. Lots of Pilgrim instruments on the John Hornby Skewes website; (http://www.jhs.co.uk/pilgrimmandolins.html) major UK distributor, I gather.

From appearance, I'd say a line of Asian-built instruments, in a variety of price ranges, probably imported into the UK or perhaps Europe more generally. Instruments seem all to be solid wood, rather than plywood, which is a plus.

You may not find many US Cafe members with experience with these instruments. I've not seen them sold here. Perhaps some of our British or European Cafe-ers have played them.

Nebajotin pässi
Feb-27-2013, 1:56pm
Thanks, Allen!

The link you sent is helpfull, but there doesn't seem to be that much info even on their web page.

So – anyone actually played one of these? Or any of the Pilgrim series mandolins/mandolas?

jay friday
May-12-2013, 10:57pm
Thanks, Allen!

The link you sent is helpfull, but there doesn't seem to be that much info even on their web page.

So – anyone actually played one of these? Or any of the Pilgrim series mandolins/mandolas?

I have a Pilgrim oval Redwood series F Style It has a solid spruce top and solid flamed maple back and sides with an aged natural finish. It has a scooped extension, and after I did some work setting it up, it is a great instrument. Loud, great projection and tone.
Not too dissimilar from my old Gibson A, but much better playability.

almeriastrings
May-12-2013, 11:13pm
As Allen says, "Pilgrim" is just a name applied to generic instruments made mostly in China. The exact same instruments appear under other names, such as "Barnes & Mullins", "Gremlin", "Ozark" etc. In the US, some are branded as "Trinity College". Minor details vary... finish... "inlay" (overlays on the peghead), because you can specify this when you place a bulk order at the factory.

They are offer good value for money and are usually decent beginner-intermediate level instruments.