PDA

View Full Version : Best F style for $500-$700

txbrett
Feb-19-2013, 4:36pm
I'm going to be getting a mandolin in the next few months, and am hoping y'all can recommend one. I want the best one I can get for the money (like everybody). I am not apposed to a used one by any means. What I DON'T really care for are the cosmetic upgrades. Tone is the name of the game. I really like the simple look of the Washburn M108SWK, and the price is right. I just don't know how they sound. So, what are some other options? Especially in the used category, for the price range I'm in? Thanks in advance for your help!

f5loar
Feb-19-2013, 4:41pm
Look to those lower end Eastmans like the 515, 615. Maybe a The Loar 500/ 600 can be found at that price. You are really going cheapo for the F model IMO. You need another $300 to get something worthy of keeping a long time. You need to consider the price on the case too. If you find one with a case remember it's likely got a $100 case with it so now you are talking a $400 to $600 mandolin. Most decent mandolins come in hardshell or lightweigth cases not boxes. I like my wine in a box not my mandolins.

Samuel David Britton
Feb-19-2013, 4:43pm
Good brands at that price would be the Loar, Kentucky, and Eastman

txbrett
Feb-19-2013, 4:51pm
Look to those lower end Eastmans like the 515, 615. Maybe a The Loar 500/ 600 can be found at that price. You are really going cheapo for the F model IMO. You need another $300 to get something worthy of keeping a long time. You need to consider the price on the case too. If you find one with a case remember it's likely got a $100 case with it so now you are talking a $400 to $600 mandolin. Most decent mandolins come in hardshell or lightweigth cases not boxes. I like my wine in a box not my mandolins.

So what's the main difference in a $700 mandolin and a $1,000 mandolin? This will be my "back up" instrument. I play the guitar.

Samuel David Britton
Feb-19-2013, 4:56pm
Go to the Mandolin Store and hear the difference

shortymack
Feb-19-2013, 5:00pm
As far as new goes, the MD315 is more in your price range than the 515 (about 1k) or 615 (1k+). Id recommend that or a LM520 in the 500-700 dollar range. Be sure to get it from a cafe sponsor who will do a good setup for you, very important.

txbrett
Feb-19-2013, 5:26pm
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep y'all posted.

justinhart
Feb-20-2013, 9:32am
The Kentucky KM600 was recommended to me by The Mandolin Store over the LM-520-VS. I purchased this Monday and will be receiving it shortly and will give an update once I get it.

bluenote23
Feb-20-2013, 9:50am
So what's the main difference in a $700 mandolin and a $1,000 mandolin? This will be my "back up" instrument. I play the guitar.
Here is my personal experience.
I started with a used Rover RM75 which cost me under $300. It was okay. Easy to play though if I set the action too low it fretted out on the 13th fret on the A. The tuners were fair.

A few weeks later I had a chance to pick up a used The Loar LM700 for under $1000. It sounded a lot nicer than the Rover. More mids and more bass, more resonance too. It was not well set up and was not quite as easy to play as the Rover. There were no fret problems. Tuning is pretty well rock solid.

The Rover was okay. It was loud and easy to play and sounded like a real instrument (I also have a cheap plywood A that sounds terrible. Very quiet and no tone.) If the Rover was all I could afford and I had to make do with it, then I could have made do with it.

So if you can make do with your instruments, then an entry level mandolin will be all right. It's the same for guitars; an entry level guitar is just that. These days, there are some pretty good entry level instruments but, at least to me, higher level instruments are different.

txbrett
Feb-23-2013, 12:59pm
The only other mandolin I've played was a Johnson MF-100 that was less than $200 I think, WITH a case. I had it for several years, but didn't play it much (learned chord shapes) So since this'll be my secondary instrument, I'm sure a $500 mandolin with a set up will be suit me fine for now. Maybe one day I'll jump off in the deep end of the pool with the $1,500+ mandolin... In other words, when my wife lets me... :-) Thanks for all the input.