PDA

View Full Version : New guy on board!

ButchA
Feb-17-2013, 5:11pm
Greetings... I have visited Mandolin Cafe before (looking at sheet music and tabs) and decided to log on to the forum.

I am by no means a pro mandolin player, but truly enjoy playing my used mid 80's A-body Ibanez mandolin. I am also a multi-instrumentalist (mostly rock guitar, bass, brass instruments, woodwinds, etc..etc..) but I find mandolin to also be a lot of fun to play and it adds a lot to an acoustic folk guitar or bluegrass style of music.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q215/butchammon/100_1741_zps9406c9c0.jpg

I hope to learn a lot more as I read a lot of threads on here. One of these days, I want to pick up a nice F-body mandolin.

FLATROCK HILL
Feb-17-2013, 5:50pm
Hello ButchA,

I am not the official greeter...just filling in temporarily.

Welcome to the M/C forum!

Charles E.
Feb-17-2013, 5:56pm
Welcome to the Cafe, it's lots of fun.

Jim
Feb-17-2013, 6:32pm
Welcome to the cafe. I've got a bunch of paper like that in my case(s) too:)

ButchA
Feb-17-2013, 7:44pm
Thanks, guys... :)

Jim, besides the paper of mandolin chords, there's a bunch of tab printouts underneath it in the case. If I had to pick one mandolin tune that I always play (i.e. strum the rhythm, sing the vocals, and play the solo), it would be "Saint Anne's Reel". I can't quite play it correctly on my grandmother's old violin (an heirloom and very priceless to me!), but I can nail it on mandolin. Go figure...

TheArimathean
Feb-17-2013, 8:07pm
Thanks, guys... :)

Jim, besides the paper of mandolin chords, there's a bunch of tab printouts underneath it in the case. If I had to pick one mandolin tune that I always play (i.e. strum the rhythm, sing the vocals, and play the solo), it would be "Saint Anne's Reel". I can't quite play it correctly on my grandmother's old violin (an heirloom and very priceless to me!), but I can nail it on mandolin. Go figure...
It's da' frets I bet... ;)

fatt-dad
Feb-17-2013, 8:19pm
Well, being from Richmond also, "Welcome!" Several local old-time jams I frequent. Stop by any of them and if nothing else strum the chord changes and write down the tunes being called and learn those melodies. Tuesday nights are popular. The second Tuesday is the jam at the Jahnke Road Baptist Church. There's bluegrass, hymn singing and old-time (upstairs). I play the old-time. There's also the jam at the Rockwood Park Nature Center on the forth Tuesday. Both are 7 'till 10 (9:30?). Both are fun.

Sunday afternoon is the Cary Street Jam, which is at the Cary Street Cafe. Hang on to your hat though! Lots of fun and even more energy.

f-d