PDA

View Full Version : Charles Derrington or Danny Roberts signed Gibson Fern

shawn-d
Feb-16-2013, 5:14pm
I have started shopping for one of these Gibson Ferns. What time frame am I looking at for these mandolins, and what am I going to pay for one if I find it.

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-16-2013, 5:22pm
.. and am I going to be rich and famous once I get it?

sgarrity
Feb-16-2013, 6:09pm
Late 1990's through about 2006-2007. I'm sure someone has the exact date that Danny stopped signing mandolins. If you're looking for a lacquer Fern, don't pay more than $5k.

shawn-d
Feb-16-2013, 6:25pm
Late 1990's through about 2006-2007. I'm sure someone has the exact date that Danny left Gibson. If you're looking for a lacquer Fern, don't pay more than $5k.
Thanks that was the information I was looking for.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-16-2013, 8:05pm
Late 1990's through about 2006-2007. I'm sure someone has the exact date that Danny left Gibson. If you're looking for a lacquer Fern, don't pay more than $5k.

Actually Danny is still with Gibson -- but he is not signing mandolins anymore. He still is associated with Gibson mandolins in some capacity -- in fact a month ago he send me a part.

My personal opinion is that the F-5 Fern hit a sweet spot about 2001 - 2003 -- every one from that period I've ever seen has been a killer mandolin. These were signed by Danny.

It is my understanding (listening to the talk here) that the new (post flood) Gibson mandolins are even better and these are signed by Dave. But you'll surely pay more for these.

If you don't absolutely have to have a Fern there is a nice new F-5G for sale at a store here in Cincinnati for about $4.5K (I'm thinking it is pre-flood but not sure -- the acoustic manager of the store does not know either. I'm thinking you could get if for a bit less --just my opinion. You can PM if you are interested and I'll give you the store contact information.

Dave LaBoone
Feb-16-2013, 11:38pm
If you don't absolutely have to have a Fern there is a nice new F-5G for sale at a store here in Cincinnati for about $4.5K.

Or if you look at an F-5G, you might consider a Gibson Flatiron Festival, made by the same Gibson luthiers in Nashville, for a few grand less. I've got a 2001 that I'm quite fond of.

almeriastrings
Feb-17-2013, 1:15am
I have both a March 2000 Derrington-signed Fern, plus a post-flood Dave Harvey model... here's my take.

The Derrington example is 'historically' interesting, also has a few differences in detail from recent ones. The faceplate inlays are subtly different, it has ivoroid (like on current MM's) binding, and also a different 'burst (again close to current MM's). More 'brown'/'cremona' vs a bit more reddish on the current ones. I would say the materials are not quite as nice, overall, as the recent post-flood examples I've seen, which have all been spectacular.

Tone-wise... frankly, in my opinion, despite the Derrington model being 13 years old and well played in, the post-flood Harvey model had it beat out of the box. It is hard to describe just how good the new ones really are. They are both good mandolins, of course... but the Harvey one is staggeringly good. Fit, finish, tone, volume... it has it all. It is right up there with the 'handful of best mandolins I've ever played'. That includes original Loar's, MM's and various top luthier creations... and it is only 2 years old (it was one of the very first out the factory after the flood).

I like the Derrington one, though, as it certainly does sound great, and has those different features... still dark here, but later I'll put some photos up so you can see the differences in the inlays, etc.

The Danny Roberts ones... nice too. That said, I would, if looking myself right now, be trying to find a new one.

I'd also add that you'd be lucky to find a Derrington signed example for $5K. The name alone adds a lot of 'kudos' to those examples and they tend to fetch quite a bit more. I personally feel the new ones are incredible value. You get one heck of a fine playing/sounding mandolin...

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-17-2013, 2:51am
From Almeria - ".... but the Harvey one is staggeringly good." A fellow Cafe member recently bought a Dave Harvey signed Gibson 'Goldrush' which according to the owner also sounds incredible.It would seem that Mr Harvey is presiding over a very good period in Gibson mandolin building,& if i could afford it,i'd be ordering one of these beauties - it's got the most beautiful looking 'Fern' inlay as well if that's a pre-requisite,:disbelief:
Ivan

almeriastrings
Feb-17-2013, 6:21am
OK, have some comparison photos now. There are many small differences... these are just the most obvious ones:

Colo(u)r and burst, front and back:

The cremona brown vs. red is very obvious.

There is also much more figure in the new Fern.

Very big differences in script, position and even fern inlay. Above is the Derrington. This is the Harvey:

Also differences in the head bindings...

And.. the body bindings, new Fern:

Derrington:

Really quite major differences throughout, as you can see here...

Rex Hart
Feb-17-2013, 8:41am
I have a different take on the Harvey signed mandolins. I have a pre-flood fern (2008), and have recently played a new fern at the local music store. In my (and other's) opinion, there was no comparism. The new one sounded much thinner than mine and did not have the low end. The workmanship was excellent, but the tone was lacking. I have played mine a lot since I bought it, so maybe that was the differenece. Also another thing I noticed was that the neck is closer to the Collings profile, which for lack of better term is "thicker" than my 2008. I am a big Gibson fan but so far I have not been knocked out by the post flood mandolins as a whole.My local music store has F5G's and an F12 also. All that being said, the fern as well as a Collings MF were the best sounding mando's there.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-17-2013, 10:19am
OK, have some comparison photos now. There are many small differences... these are just the most obvious ones......Really quite major differences throughout, as you can see here...

What a GREAT set of photos -- thanks a lot!!!

northfolk
Feb-17-2013, 10:56am
For what it's worth; I have a post flood, David Harvey signed, F5G Custom; hands down the finest sounding mandolin I have ever played? It is definitely a KEEPER!

Bradley
Feb-17-2013, 11:15am
I think you should consider a new Fern from Gibson !!!

I have been fortunate enough to have had both era mandolins including Master Models, and a Fern from Charlie and Danny, and now a post flood Era F5G. Will have to say that the current F5G that I have is the best one of the batch. IMHO the mandolins they are putting out now are the best I have seen from Gibson.....I believe this era will surpass any built before. I am considering that I may soon need a Master Model to fill a spot in the herd.

shawn-d
Feb-17-2013, 10:24pm
Excellent pictures, looking at them side by side I like the look of the "Harvey" a lot better. With this extra job I have taken(started doing computer repair outside of work again) and what I get out of my Weber I am shooting for around June or July to purchase. I am going to look at both options but seeing the difference I am leaning towards new now.

almeriastrings
Feb-18-2013, 2:06am
I have to say I rather like the grained ivoroid binding on the Derrington model...I believe they only use that on the MM's these days. The standard of materials on the new ones that I've seen has been superb, however... and the reddish 'burst is also very nice. Minor details compared to how they sound, of course! Naturally, there are variations in this... some may well be better than others. No two pieces of wood are exactly the same. I have also noticed that some individual instruments have it "out of the box", but others require "waking up".... the ambient humidity may well play a part in this too. Also general "settling down" of the bridge. Lots of variables there... when I got my Fern, I was torn between it and an (older) MM. Price was not the issue, I just wanted whichever sounded best. I was expecting it would be the MM, but the new Fern just kept calling me. Glad I went with my instinct because it has gotten even better since.....lovely mandolin in all respects. Whatever magic mandolin dust they are sprinkling on 'em at the factory right now, I hope they have a good supply, because it seems to work!

f5loar
Feb-18-2013, 5:07pm
I would consider the many signature models made during these times like the Lawson, Bibey, Benson, Bush, Steffey. Some of those were killers and all in lacquer I believe except a few varnish Bush models. I've seen those used in the $5000 range.

sgarrity
Feb-18-2013, 5:49pm
I'd totally agree with that. A friend of mine has a Bibey model that is as good a mandolin as you'd ever need. I've not played a Bush or a Lawson that I really liked. YMMV

Hendrik Ahrend
Feb-20-2013, 1:46pm
I have a different take on the Harvey signed mandolins. I have a pre-flood fern (2008), and have recently played a new fern at the local music store. In my (and other's) opinion, there was no comparism. The new one sounded much thinner than mine and did not have the low end. The workmanship was excellent, but the tone was lacking. I have played mine a lot since I bought it, so maybe that was the differenece. Also another thing I noticed was that the neck is closer to the Collings profile, which for lack of better term is "thicker" than my 2008. I am a big Gibson fan but so far I have not been knocked out by the post flood mandolins as a whole.My local music store has F5G's and an F12 also. All that being said, the fern as well as a Collings MF were the best sounding mando's there.

Interesting, how different Ferns can be. My Dec. 2009 before-the-flood-Harvey varnished Fern has an overall bright sound (since I requested it), the sound is balanced with an outstanding e-string. It's almost as good as my 2000 Derrington MM and my 2005 Roberts-signed DMM. As to the color, Dave told me they were striving for the late '20s; kinda reddish it seems. Note the wide grain spruce.

nathanlivers
Feb-21-2013, 7:37am
I have started shopping for one of these Gibson Ferns. What time frame am I looking at for these mandolins, and what am I going to pay for one if I find it.

I play a 2004 Danny Roberts fern, that was handed to me by Charlie Derrington as a replacement for my '98 fern (signer will remain unnamed) that the top caved in on. I haven't heard many Gibsons that beat my current mando, I did replace the MOP nut with bone which warmed the mandolin up considerably, also considering a buffalo shale bridge top, and an Alan tailpiece. Perhaps then it will be comparable to the many Gilchrists that blow it away! It does mic well, but unfortunately not for sale.

cayuga red
Feb-21-2013, 8:30am
Alameria Strings' experience is shared by those fortunate enough to have purchased a newer Fern. The "post-flood" Harvey F-5s are extraordinary. Here's hoping Dave can keep his current team together for a long run.

Tobin
Mar-06-2013, 1:48pm
Sorry to revive a thread that was bordering on hibernation, but I have questions for those of you who are knowledgeable in all things Gibson.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to a late model Gibson F-style (in the optimal price range of $5K-$7K), but I don't know all the ins and outs of what to look for. I get the general sense from threads like this that the post-flood Harvey-signed models are the cat's meow. But can someone please give me a run-down on these topics, sort of a "Gibsons for Dummies", assuming I know absolutely nothing about the recent history of Gibson mandolins?

1. From 1990 to the present, who was signing their mandolins during which years? And can someone recap the details of the flood, as well as what it meant for production?

2. What are the primary differences between all the various F models, and is there anything else should I be looking for to be able to readily identify them?

3. Anything else you think a serious prospective Gibson buyer should know?

Hendrik Ahrend
Mar-06-2013, 5:04pm
Up to about '99, the "F5 Fern" was called "F5-L" and usually had a Fern inlay on the head stock, made in Montana at the Flatiron factory and signed by Steve Carlson and, by late '93, by Bruce Weber.
In '99, the production was moved to Nashville and the F5-Ls were signed by Charlie Derrington. At some point, I'd guess around 2003, Danny Roberts signed those mandolins. From about 2000 on, the model was called "F5 Fern", the binding was changed from grained ivoroid to plain white, and the color became more of a late '20s sunburst (lighter and sometimes reddish) instead of the "Cremona" or "Tobacco". From 1999 on, a "higher" model, the F5 "Master Model" (and later the "Distressed Master Model") was launched with Cremona/Tobacco sunburst, flower pot inlay, hide glue construction, Derrington/Roberts/O'Sullivan/Harvey signature and varnish finish, whereas the "Fern" stayed with fern inlay, modern PVA glue and lacquer.
Generally, the earlier "Derrington" Ferns had "The Gibson" inlaid somewhat low on the head stock.
From 2008 on, David Harvey started signing those "Ferns". The flood was in May 2010, hardly any high end "Master Model" made since then. Those Harvey-Ferns seem to be just as fine as the earlier ones. Some Ferns were made with varnish finish, which is generally thought to give a slightly more mid-range oriented sound.
There are some custom mandos, some short-run models (such as the "Victorian") and also some lower budged models with similar construction but less ornamentation, or just different look, such as the Gold Rush or the F-10 and F-12. The "Sam Bush" model has a wider neck and, as far as I could find out, generally a darker sound.
Hard to describe in short, but for historical reasons, the F5s are all Gibson Master Models. Hence there is the F5 Master Model "Master Model" and the F5 Master Model "Fern".

... and fried shrimp - that's about it. ~o)

f5loar
Mar-06-2013, 6:11pm
Don't overlook finding a used Nashville made Gibson MM signature model like the Doyle Lawson, Alan Bibey, Wayne Benson, Adam Steffey and a few made in Bozeman, the Bill Monroe model and the Bobby Osborne model. Each one has it's own unique charactristics and signed by that artist and some by Derrington or Roberts also.

Tobin
Mar-08-2013, 11:21am
Thanks for the info, Henry Eagle. That's a lot to swallow, but it's what I was looking for.

Funny, the flood in Nashville happened right about the time my company was starting construction on the new Music City Center project there in Nashville. I remember the Country Music Hall of Fame right next door being flooded, and the water was right at the edge of our jobsite, only partially flooding our excavated area. Whereabouts in the city was the Gibson factory? I think I recall reading that they shut down that location and retooled elsewhere, right?

Hendrik Ahrend
Mar-08-2013, 11:50am
Yessir, prior to the flood, the mandolins were made at the Opry Mills Mall. I believe they moved to Gibson's repair department.

Big Joe
Mar-08-2013, 2:18pm
Charlie signed some mandolin from about 98 through 2004. Danny signed most of them except the Master Models and DMM's through 2005. The 2005 MM and DMM were signed by Danny. They were all great mandolins to say the least. Each person has their own favorite model and year, but they were all hand made. Charlie signed mandolins are pretty rare. He did not sign many except the MM and DMM's, and there are not a lot of those.

mike keith
Oct-30-2015, 12:51pm
<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the Classifieds.>

Josh Levine
Oct-30-2015, 12:54pm
Mike, this thread is over 2 years old and we have a classifieds section where you can advertise an instrument for sale. Posting something for sale in this area is against forum guidelines.

mike keith
Oct-30-2015, 12:56pm
I am very sorry, I didnt know. Thank you for your information.

mike keith
Oct-30-2015, 1:05pm
Mr Weatherman, I got rid of my post. Again I am very sorry. I am not too swift on these computers. I will figure out how to list it on the sight. Have a good day and God Bless!

DataNick
Oct-30-2015, 3:41pm
No sweat Mike!...Let me know if you need help in posting your mandolin in the Classifieds...I'll be happy to talk you through it...

Ginzodude
Jan-02-2017, 11:16pm
I know this thread is old...but I'm new here. Just picked up an Adam Steffey....... love it! Though my primary is still my 04 Gibson F5...and my 1970's Alvarez C55 still has the prettiest inlays.

DataNick
Jan-04-2017, 12:16pm
I know this thread is old...but I'm new here. Just picked up an Adam Steffey....... love it! Though my primary is still my 04 Gibson F5...and my 1970's Alvarez C55 still has the prettiest inlays.

Congrats! and what year is your Steffey model?