PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy #41

Hunter
Dec-07-2003, 10:17am
Don Paine just sent me a picture of his (my) #41 under construction. It is an F5 with figured red maple back and sides and a red spruce top. It will be done in early January.

(I hope the picure makes it.)

Keith Hunter

Mandobar
Dec-07-2003, 10:49am
don paine makes a great mandolin!

enjoy it!

CHPorter
Dec-07-2003, 11:07am
Keith, you're going to love #41! fyi, i just shot a few shots of my #27 F4 to show folks
how the fit works in a Calton case. (There's a thread about Calton storage area, weight, headstock
clearance but I don't want to 'hijack' the thread so will start a separate one..)
Craig

Hunter
Dec-07-2003, 2:33pm
Post away, Craig! I want to see your F4. This is a Pomeroy thread.

Don is a an outstanding builder and a great guy. He and his mandolins deserve all the attention they can get.

herringbone
Dec-07-2003, 9:47pm
You are going to love #41. I own #39, It came about two weeks ago. It looks and sounds as good as any mando I have ever played. That includes some pretty high rep high priced instruments.(one starts with MONT one with GIL)

jasona
Dec-08-2003, 2:33am
I recently played #36 (iirc) when it was brand new, and it already had outstanding tone. You'll enjoy it I'm sure

Hunter
Dec-08-2003, 3:39pm
Herringbone,
I saw your #39 about a month and a half ago when it was in the white down at Don's shop. It sure was nice looking. Post a picture, I'd like to see what it looks like finished.

mandorado
Dec-09-2003, 12:43am
Wow, #41 already. Seems like just yesterday I picked up #21. Heres a link to some pictures of #"Blackjack". (http://homepage.mac.com/jjmcmullen/PhotoAlbum3.html)
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

dryseptember
Dec-09-2003, 3:17am
I just sent Don a deposit for a number yet to be determined. I'm heading to colorado this summer to pick it up. #41 looks so great i wonder if i can wait till then.
matt # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Jonathan James
Dec-09-2003, 8:31am
Here is my Pomeroy #26, "born" on March 21, 2003. This was Don's personal mandolin to play and show prospective buyers. Great, great tone from a relatively new mandolin.

herringbone
Dec-09-2003, 10:20am
Kieth, I'll try and post some pictures sometime this week. Don told me he took some really great ones before he shipped me #39 and is thinking of using them on his new web site.

herringbone
Dec-14-2003, 1:05pm

herringbone
Dec-14-2003, 1:06pm
#39 back

herringbone
Dec-14-2003, 1:07pm
#39 agian

herringbone
Dec-14-2003, 1:07pm
#39 and agian

Dec-14-2003, 2:11pm
I've enjoyed watching Don's work (from a distance) for the last year or so....is he getting any signature tone especially on the F hole examples? thx.

herringbone
Dec-14-2003, 4:04pm
I would say yes to signature tone. I am not really good at describing tone but I will try. Mine has that bell-like woody tone I have heard in several Gilchrists I have had the pleasure to play. It is fairly loud for a new mando with adi top. Over the few weeks I have had it it has gotten consistantly louder. It is quite a responsive instrument. Very good chop. Dig in you can't overdrive it. Play it with caution, it is very sweet sounding. It is as good an instrument as I have ever heard or played. I really think Don is onto something.

mgilk
Dec-14-2003, 8:16pm
I have #8 & #9 and I have played some of Don's mandos as he gets them done. I they Sound great, my # 9 has a great chop and clear sound up and down the neck, It sounds better everyday that I play it, and I do play it everyday. #8 is a beautiful mando and sounds very sweet, if anyone is interested. Thanks Don. Marc

TNVolunteerMando
Dec-14-2003, 11:22pm
Very sweet mandolin there. What is the white material on the bridge? Ivory maybe or some kind of bone? I went to the website and looked at the specifications section and it said that it was ebony. Anyone know?

Mandobar
Dec-14-2003, 11:35pm
i believe it is bone. i own #24 which is an A5 and the mandola that is on don's website.........both are sweet but the 'dola is to die for.

i have played a lot of mandolins and don's mandos have that great woody tone and the fit and finish are AAA+. viva la Pomeroy!

mandorado
Dec-15-2003, 12:37am
They are all bone now (expept mine [I think], which is ivory).
Yo Mandobar. That is a SWEET mandola. I got to play it for a bit one night when Don's band was playing here in Bondale. It's a very nice instrument. I know it was hard for Don to let that one go.

Hunter
Dec-15-2003, 10:39am
Chuck,
Your #39 is beautiful. I love the 'burst.
Keith

wah
Dec-15-2003, 12:36pm
I've got to jump in on this thread. If I had seen a picture of #39 with nobody identifying it (and not including the tail-piece) I would have known it was Don's work by the finish. That matte finish is so nice! I have #13 (the first with the Pomeroy name) and it has that sweet woody sound that I think is also a trademark of his mando's. Someone was showing me a '27 Gibson and I handed them #13, his response was, "Wow! This guy's got it!" I kinda miss my MAS.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Wayne #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Charlie Ayers
Dec-20-2003, 8:38am
Does he mainly use a satin finish?

Charlie

CHPorter
Dec-20-2003, 10:26am
Charlie,

I asked the same question before I bought my F4 (#27). Here's what I found from my limited
experience with Pomeroys...

If you think of satin finishes as being akin to the 15-series Martin
guitars, then I'd say that Don's instruments are (or can be) glossier than those. I dislike
those very flat 'satin' finishes, so that was a big concern when I was talking and
emailing with Don about my F4. He explained that he uses nitrocellulose lacquer that
can more or less glossy, depending on the buffing process. He also said he felt that
the inevitable chips and wear can be treated with his methods much more easily if
necessary down the road some day.

I've polished my mando with Virtuoso premium polish and give it the occasional wipedown
with Planet Waves Guitar Polish Spray. It's got the patina of an old violin, with a soft
glow that looks great to my eye. You'd never mistake it for a mirror-finish glosscoat,
but you may not look at it and say it's 'satin' finish, either, especially if you're
thinking of a very flat satin like the Martin 15-series gits, which have no reflective
aspect whatsoever, at least when new.

Have any other Pomeroy owners out there specced a very flat satin?

Craig

mandopoet
Feb-07-2004, 9:36am
Well Keith,

You've kept me in suspense--where is the finished pic of #41? #Have you gotten the Pomeroy yet?

mandopoet
Feb-07-2004, 12:08pm
Matter of fact, does anyone have any photos of Don's most recent work?

Also, would like to hear some testimonies on tone and sound quality of older Pomeroys as they have aged, what do you say?

peterbc
Feb-07-2004, 4:31pm
Are any Pomeroys going to be at Wintergrass? I'd love to hear one. They look gorgeous and I love the fact that it has that nice abbreviated fingerboard. Plus theres the curvy woman on the tailpiece to match the curves of the mandolin! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif But I want to see how it plays and how it sounds (descriptions are good and all but don't come near to playing it yourself). At some point I'd like a new mandolin and these seem like great values, something that I may one day be able to afford!

peter

mandopoet
Feb-10-2004, 12:20am
Still waiting to see recent photos of any Pomeroys, especially #41 and after.

mandorado
Feb-12-2004, 9:53pm
I saw and played #43 for just a little bit yesterday. It sounded good and loud. Don is trying a Price tailpiece on it. I think he likes it so far. It does sound new ... not as deep and woody as #21. But Blackjack has been played everyday for 1.5 years now. I think #43 is going to be a good one. It's a beautiful redish color, with a very nice one piece curly maple back. Very nice work. I don't know who the new owner is or if it's sold yet, hopefully we'll see some pictures. Don will probably put a few on his site soon.
I think Don has an F4 available too. Haven't played it, but it looks really nice.

mandopoet
Feb-13-2004, 4:23pm
Thankk for the reply, mandorado. #I have corresponded with Don, and believe I will be making the plunge, myself, real soon.

Just wanted to see the latest photos and work.

andymando
Feb-15-2004, 12:26pm
Still waiting to see recent photos of any Pomeroys, especially #41 and after.
Well, I tried to do this yesterday from home, but slow line, computer and camera problems shut me down... I'll try to post 3 pics of Pomeroy F5 #41... I hope that's not too many...
Speaking of Pomeroys, #41 is my only Pomeroy experience. #I am lucky that a Colorado buddy made me aware of Don and his mandolins. #I am so tickled with #41... as is often the case with a new finely-crafted instrument, it just continues to grow in "personality"... and it didn't need to because I was "converted" from the first moment. #I mean the musicality, bell-like tones, woody-presence, loud sweet voicing, and the comfort, and the looks... for me, it's all there. #
From what I'm hearing, #41 as good as it is, is no exception... I'm thinking all of Don's mandolins are coming out special.... so much so, that I'm on Don's list now for an A5 (long neck) but with oval hole, with as much as practical to match #41.
Andy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

andymando
Feb-15-2004, 12:29pm
Pomeroy #41...

andymando
Feb-15-2004, 12:32pm
Pomeroy #41...

mandorado
Feb-15-2004, 12:57pm
Andy, congratulations! What a great looking mando.

herringbone
Feb-15-2004, 1:28pm
Wow!
Congrats. That mando looks very familiar. It looks just like #39. It can't be. #39 is right here with me singing sweetly. Good luck with #41. If you are half as happy with her as I am with #39 then you are one happy camper.

Chuck

mandopoet
Feb-15-2004, 10:06pm
Andymando and others: thanks for your photos and comments. I must be a glutton for punishment; it is torture looking at Don's awesome work and then having satisfied owners rave about their instruments. Ya'll are now making my wait even harder.

I hope to join your company soon.

Ken Sager
Feb-24-2004, 2:51pm
#43 showed up here today... I'll tune it up tonight and give a full report sometime soon. I've been following Don's work for months and couldn't resist when this one came up.

More soon,
Ken

Charlie Ayers
Feb-24-2004, 6:24pm
Are you in Salt Lake City, Ken?

Charlie

Ken Sager
Feb-24-2004, 6:29pm
Are you in Salt Lake City, Ken?

Charlie
I are. If you'd like to see it we can arrange a meeting. I'm finally leaving work to go home and play it (I had it delivered at work today).

I may check email or this board if I come up for air by the weekend. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to seeing what this gorgeous animal will do.

Best,
Ken
kensager@msn.com

Charlie Ayers
Feb-25-2004, 11:45am
Hi Ken:

I would love to see it. I dropped you an email at the msn address. Here is mine.

Charlie
smcayers@ihc.com

scotta
Mar-19-2022, 7:47pm
Resurecting this 18 year old thread!

I now have Pomeroy F5 #39. It is unbelievably good sounding and playing. It has battle scars that come with real use, but has tons of character. Nothing too aggregious. The tailpiece has been switched out at least 2 times that I can tell. It has appreciated as I bought it for a bit more than the original owner did (I have the original receipt Chuck!), and I can see a few online transactions where it has sold for even more.

I would love to find more info on its history between the original owner (Chuck aka herringbone here on the Cafe) and me.

Don's work is stellar, and these mandos continue to be some of the most under-rated/valued out there. Check'em out!

scotta
Mar-19-2022, 8:08pm
200133 Here it is 18 years later...