PDA

View Full Version : First E-type mandolin

E- type
Feb-15-2013, 12:29pm
I mostly play sitting down. The point of my F-style Kentucky sticks in my leg or the curved bottom slides off. When I found a piece of walnut burl at a yard sale that was bowl shape like a mando back I started plotting the solution. This is actually the second-the prototype had a sugar pine front and a basswood back. Now that I am used to the shape, I find that when I Play an F mando I find it uncomfortable and concluded that they are made for performers to be played standing up.

The front is spruce and the back the yard sale walnut burl. One of the best features is that you can hang it on a nail. This also helps a lot in construction-I put a peg above my workbench to leave it on at all stages including lacquering. Yes there is a hidden ebony piece reinforcing the hook.

The tailpiece is an original design my son helped me with and my friend machined. The strings loop around at the tailpiece.

It sounds pretty good. My friend Michaeal Lewis measured the front and back and told me I had left them a bit too thick and this takes a toll on the tone. Maybe another next year? There is enough of the free piece of walnut burl left...

JEStanek
Feb-15-2013, 3:13pm
The back wood is beautiful. The design has it's charms and practicality as well. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie

mrmando
Feb-15-2013, 3:40pm
Cool. Ray Matty meets Ron Hyde...

Marty Jacobson
Feb-15-2013, 4:51pm
I really like the idea you have here of making it easier to play while seated. Build on! With friends like Michael Lewis, you will be making sought-after instruments in no time.

John Eischen
Feb-15-2013, 11:35pm
I like it! Reminds me of the "Money and Cigarettes" album cover:

Pete Jenner
Feb-15-2013, 11:46pm
Love it. Keep innovating.

ComMANDOmatt
Feb-19-2013, 2:20pm
What a cool idea! The walnut burl is amazing, and I love what you did with the headstock. Definitely a work of art. Looks like it belongs in a Dali painting.

Jim Garber
Feb-19-2013, 2:46pm
I mostly play sitting down. The point of my F-style Kentucky sticks in my leg or the curved bottom slides off.

Thanks for posting the pics. I am just trying to figure out how that point works when sitting down. I suppose you have worked out your positioning. Does the bottom of the point rest on your thigh?

I do like the hanger headstock scroll. It also looks like you can open a bottle of beer with it. Perhaps the next one can have some metal in it so you can do that. :)

The front is spruce and the back the yard sale walnut burl.

What are the sides? I have often looked at large bowls and seen musical instruments...

Gregory Tidwell
Feb-19-2013, 4:46pm
Id bet that the bottom "cut-away" part straddles his thigh.

Two scrolls; how long did that take?

E- type
Feb-21-2013, 9:59am
[QUOTE=Jim Garber;1136543]Thanks for posting the pics. I am just trying to figure out how that point works when sitting down. I suppose you have worked out your positioning. Does the bottom of the point rest on your thigh?

Thanks Jim. The point is outside your thigh, the curved cutout sits on your leg. It is. Especially comfortable with your legs crossed which i do a lot.

What are the sides? Sides are walnut too.

E- type
Feb-21-2013, 10:00am
How long did the extra scrool take? Less than a month! The bottom scroll has a pretty tight curve which gave me a really hard time bending the sides-i finally kerfed it at the tight part.