PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Trivia Quiz, part 5

AlanN
Feb-24-2004, 8:55am
Here's another round:

1. What was the original name of the Kentucky Colonels?
2. What well-known tune did Monroe record, playing guitar?
3. What is the significance of the band name 'IIIrd Tyme Out'?
4. What is the mandolin tuning for 'Get Up John'?
5. Who was the original banjo man in Lost & Found?
6. What was controversial about the 1st Rounder Records New South album cover (Crowe, Rice, Skaggs, Flux)?
7. What does 'E.M.D.' stand for?
8. Who now owns Jimmy Gaudreau's 1926 fern mandolin?
9. What famous TV bandleader d1d Grisman record with?

and last

10. Which US Senator plays old-time fiddle?

Don Grieser
Feb-24-2004, 10:27am
I'll take the easy ones.

2. Muleskinner Blues--the source of the original G run that became known as the Flatt G run?
3. This is the 3rd band for everyone in the band.
7. Eat My Dust is what I've heard.

cbogle
Feb-24-2004, 10:40am
I'll take a stab at some:

1. "The Country Boys"

6. A band member was "flippin' a bird" (I won't say which one).

10.Senator Robert Byrd, (aka Sen. Phil R. Buster)

JDARTGOD
Feb-24-2004, 11:03am
5. Gene Parker. (Lost and Found original Banjo man)

Stringbender
Feb-24-2004, 11:05am
1. After their sister left Roland, Eric and Clarence were known as The Three Little Country Boys
2. Muleskinner Blues is probably the best known. He also played guitar on I'm Goin Back to Old Kentucky according to the liner notes.
3. It was the third band for all of the members
4. D
5. Gene Parker
6. middle finger
7. Eat My ..dust is good enough LOL
8. Marty Stuart (I think I remember reading somewhere)
9. aww, the guy who lead Jackie Gleasons orchestra
10. Sen. Robert Byrd of WV

BROGERS
Feb-24-2004, 11:12am
I hope these are right...

1. The Country Boys
2. Muleskinner Blues
3. 3rd try at a band by the members
4. F#A DD AA DE
5. Gene Parker
6. Crowe appeared to be giving an indiscreet "bird"
7. E Minor Dawg
8. John Paganoni
9.?
10. Senator Byrd

Geno
Feb-24-2004, 11:37am
9. Doc Severinsen, Tonight Show Band

Moose
Feb-24-2004, 12:16pm
You guys are GOOD!!! - and I thought I was "knowlegable!!## - carry on - this is great... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

AlanN
Feb-24-2004, 12:33pm
Yep, you folks know yer stuff!

Only grey areas...Eat My Dust (somebody got it), TV band leader was technically Tommy Newsome on Dawg Grass/Dawg Jazz, but it was The Tonight Show Band, under Doc, as someone said. And Paganoni owns Jimmy's fern. And for the $64K question...

Which two pickers were in the regional band Bluegrass Blend and went on to play and record with the Country Gentlemen?

EZpicker
Feb-25-2004, 8:28am
Which two pickers were in the regional band Bluegrass Blend and went on to play and record with the Country Gentlemen?

Wasn't one of them Ricky Allred?

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2004, 10:18am
..yes..rick Allred...I can know the banjo player...but dang cant remember his name...yipee....it just came to me..Kent Dowell

AlanN
Feb-25-2004, 10:39am
You got it, those two were great. I have an old record done by that band Bluegrass Blend, on Leather records, has a shine jug on the cover. Simply a great LP, vocally, instrumentally - both them boys could burn it, particularly Rick, he had a style that floated my boat! I understand he has a pickin party every spring around here somewhere, need to hunt that one down.

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2004, 10:41am
..yea..Ive got that record too Alan..also Rick put out a instrumental Lp..do you have that one?...its got a killer version of The Flinstones.....

AlanN
Feb-25-2004, 10:42am
Hey Scotti, yes called Flat Burnin, right? With that Berrier brother on dobro. Plus Rick was in Summer Wages, killer band, with Mills on banjo and Barry B. on country vocls

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2004, 10:45am
..ya know..I dont recall the name of he Lp..that sounds right..Im gonna have to dig that one out...it did have the Berrier boys on it..I can remember that..yep,,,them Summer Wages were good band...I ve got all their stuff....that song "Your Memory"...is great..its a Steve Wariner song..

Mike Bunting
Feb-25-2004, 6:39pm
4-F#A DD AA DA

Scotti Adams
Feb-25-2004, 6:40pm
..man...ol Mike's on a roll here....:0)